“All about location”

Ranked #20 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Southport, United Kingdom
“All about location”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights over Valentine's day using a voucher we were bought for Christmas. The hotel was easy to find and we had no problems parking at the front.

The reception area was clean and tidy and we had a pleasant welcome from the lady on reception. We were given room 413 and upon arriving on the 4th floor we found the appearance of the corridor a little shabby. As mentioned by other reviewers, the carpets were patchy with stains and there was a musty smell overpowered by strong paint.

The room had a lovely view however, some of the furniture was a little tired - water marks and chipped varnish on the tables/sideboards and shabby upholstery. The double bed was also two singles pushed together.

As this trip was intended as a Valentine's treat we decided to ask if it was possible to swap room. We were told that we could upgrade to another room for an extra £20. We did this and moved to room 502 which we found to be much better in terms of space and standard of the room.

We also booked in for the Valentine's meal at the hotel which was one of the best parts of the stay. The food was very nice and service excellent - on the whole very good value for money.

The hotel's location is right in the heart of Harrogate so shops, bars and restaurants are right on the doorstep. Breakfast was served until 9.30 and was the usual help yourself style buffet which was sufficient.

Taking all aspects into account I'd class the stay as good. There does seem to be a big difference in standards between different parts of the hotel, so if they could even this out it would be much better. A little more attention to detail on the cleaning would be good too. The overall cleanliness was fine, however, when doing the obligatory under bed check before leaving we did find some crusty tissues and empty loo roll tubes under the bed! (I bet if you look they are still there!)

We would probably book this hotel again if we returned to Harrogate based mainly on its location and if the price was right.

Room Tip: If you're not happy with the room ask to swap! Ask for the 5th floor
1 Thank 1484kathryn
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed some aspects of your stay with us in particular your comments relating to the Valentines meal and service you received.
I do take on board your comments relating toyour room and as you have seen we are part way through an in house redecoration programme and hence the smell of paint on that corridor. I am sorry if this impacted on your stay, but we are trying to improve some of the areas you have described.
With regard to the corridor carpets I have previously stated on other reviews that yes some general wear is apparent. I can only assume that the stain that you refer to is in fact the herringbone design pile of the carpet which has become flatten immediately in the main walk ways so that when you look down the corridors there is an appearance of dark and light areas . I have however arranged for the corridor to be cleaned again this week based on the number of negative reviews recently. Unfortunately I would imagine that the effect will remain the same and will remain the same for the foreseeable future.
I am sorry that Housekeeping had not checked under your bed, having checked this area myself this morning the items were not visible so it is apparent they team are checking these areas unfortunately it was missed on this occasion thank you for highlighting this.
I do hope you choose to stay again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Nick Henry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Booked for two nights across Valentines day, using a voucher we'd received for Xmas. There is limited parking outside the hotel and we got parked easily. Arriving earlier than check-in (due to heavy snow and some hairy moments on the back roads putting paid to our walking plans), the reception staff were helpful and accommodating (providing a town map, wifi access codes and explaining about breakfast etc), and we were able to check in as the room was ready! The entrance was bright and clean as is the lobby, that with great initial service meant we were looking forward to seeing what the room had to offer.

On arriving on the 4th floor we were greeted by an odd smell, the sort you get when steaming carpets crossed with a really strong smell of gloss paint, and in addition to this the carpets were patchy, with clear outlines of where furniture had once been. Not an issue as you don't eat, shower or sleep in the corridors but a bit off putting all the same. On entrance to room 409 though we were disappointed. Though the room, bathroom, bedding etc was clean, the room as a whole had a rather shabby, grubby looking interior. It is in desperate need of a tidy up, lick of paint, updated furniture. The single fabric chairs have seen (many) better days, the carpet ironically needs a deep clean, the walls have a number of scratches and blemishes upon them, including a large one across the wallpaper above the bed. I maintain though the room was clean. We booked a double room; the bed was a zip bed - my half very comfy, the other half's not so much ( a twanging spring or two). Saying all that, tea and coffee facilities provided and plenty of space both in the room and bathroom. There were a number of painters and decorators around, I'm assuming refurb is happening in some rooms of the hotel, it might be worth asking if this is the case and requesting one of these rooms on booking.

We wanted a central base for a relaxing shopping, eating, drinking break. For this, the location of this hotel is perfect! Everything is within a short walk, it's right opposite Betty's and the Turkish baths (which we had booked for Valentine's day - amazing!) was just down the hill. Through the hotel restaurant, takes you onto a lovely little street with nice bars and restaurants. It's really central for shopping. The staff at the hotel were fantastic throughout; the buffet breakfast also excellent and a special mention to the young man on breakfast duty who topped up items, brought tea/coffee, seated people and was VERY busy at times but maintained a really polite, positive manner.

We would book this hotel again for the reasons mentioned above and primarily location. There are also some great deals around for this hotel. Hopefully, when we return, they can get the rooms to the same level as the rest of the hotel and the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated/refurbished room.
2 Thank Tigeralfiewoo
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was pleased to read that you had enjoyed some aspects of your stay with us in particular your comments relating to the team and breakfast.
I take on board your comments relating to the wallpaper and other aspects of your first room as you have seen we are part way through an in house redecoration programme and hence the smell of paint. I am sorry if this impacted on your stay, but we are trying to rectified some of the problems you have described so that both product throughout and team compliment each other.

Congleton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We first visited the hotel in December on a weekend visit to the Christmas market in nearby York.The check-in was dealt with promptly and off we went to find our room....disaster!From leaving the lift on the fourth floor we were automatically greeted with a damp, strange smell,entering the room,with the window wide open ,the smell had not gone away,the bathroom was cold,and the furniture some what dated.We phoned the front desk to complain and swiftly there was a knock on the door,outside stood the duty manager carrying an electric heater.!!It was explained to us that the hotel was full and we were unable to be moved...hence our second stay,complimentary!.
The hotel is perfectly situated ,convenient for shops,restaurants and bars.There is a free limited parking permit available for guests.The breakfast is a disappointment,a very small ,self service buffet style area with not the best quality of food available.The room on the second visit was clean,warm and pleasant.The staff are very friendly and are doing their best to ensure your stay with them is satisfactory but .........!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of The Yorkshire Hotel, I am sorry that your first stay was clearly not an acceptable standard I again offer my apology. The problems you encountered during your first stay at the hotel, were brought to my attention then.
I understand your husband sort out the Operations Manager and thanked him personally for your return stay and how much better it had been. We were therefore most concerned by the lack of detail relating to your recent stay . I understand the Operations Manager has spoken to you in great length about both stays.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Newcastle, UK
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed in room 414 Fri 8 Feb. I got this free with my Lufthansa miles so wasn't expecting the savoy. Hotel was easy to find with free parking at the door which was a bonus. Checking in was very easy and the friendly girl in reception allowed us to check in 2 hours early. The hotels communal areas are corridors are dated and dusty. The room itself was clean and had had a DIY refurb. There were signs of a flood from upstairs. We hadn't come to sit in a room so it was perfectly adequate. After a lovely afternoon in town we went back. The shower was poor pressure so we had a nice bath. We'd booked the hotel restaurant for dinner and after being ignored by the waiter we took our business elsewhere. Beds were ok but our plans of a good sleep and lie in we're shattered by the constant squeak of floorboards and noise from house keeping. Would have mentioned these issues but quite a large queue meant we just dropped the key and made a move. As I said. Value for money as we got it for free.

• Stayed February 2013
I thank you for the time you have taken in writing your review on the tripadvisor website .I am sorry that your stay not an entire success for which I can only apologise. The problems you have experienced within the hotel, have been now been brought to my attention and where possible will be addressed.
I was shocked by your comment relating to the team member in the restaurant as we pride ourselves on the high level of customer service we offer, however we have tried to contact you several times to discuss the specifics but unfortunately to date we have been unsuccessful.
Thank you once again for your feedback

York,UK
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on 7-9th Feb.

The location is ideal, it's central to the shops, bars and restaurants. We arrived early evening on Thursday, and were able to park outside the front doors (free parking, remember to ask for a permit from reception). The building has lots of character, and looks a grand old building, it's just missing a doorman.

The receptionist was friendly, provided us a printed map of the area, and a wifi code for our iPads/iPhones (one code per device). Only one of the two lifts were working, but not a problem, except they are incredibly small (can fit 4 people with no luggage).

The corridors are wide and light, but every footstep can be heard with the creaky floorboards. Not a problem until bedtime, when each guest can be heard walking past.

Room 308 was ours, front of the hotel 3rd floor, overlooking Betty's tea room. The room was nice, flat screen TV, modern bedding, a large clean bathroom with shower and bath. The bed however, had an uncomfortable mattress, and it creaked uncontrollably, which had an impact on our nights sleep.

Night one was quiet (Thursday), night two was pretty busy with guess walking the corridor, and next door could be heard word for word through the thin walls.

We arrived for breakfast at 9, and was shown to our table. Breakfast was served Buffett style, with a small small selection of hot (sausage, bacon, egg, beans, mushroom, chips, tomato), cereal, toast, yogurt, croissant and fruit. The serving area was tiny, and wouldn't allow for more than 2 people to plate up at a time. The croissants were poor quality, but the hot food was 'ok'.

Staff throughout the hotel were friendly, including reception, restaurant staff and the 2 guys working the bar at HG1.

We picked this hotel as part of a free voucher, so it's hard to comment on value for money.

It's not a daytime hotel, ie, I wouldn't lounge around in the communal areas during the day (the bar and restaurant weren't open, so there's literally nothing to do). It's a place to crash at the end of a long day shopping, then finding a local restaurant to eat at on the evening.

Location location location

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you appear to have enjoyed your stay with us.
It was disappointing to read that the bed in the room allocated caused you a sleepless stay it is regrettable that your disappointment does not appear to have been highlighted or addressed by the Duty Manager visiting your room. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room or at the very least rectify the problem.
I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given thank you for providing a balance review of the Yorkshire.
Finally it always gives me great pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

stockport
Reviewed February 5, 2013

hotel is in a lovely location and rooms were really nice and modern and clean but were freezing. There was no central heating just a small storage heater for the main bedroom which couldn't heat the room. floorboards were creaky so fairly noisy on the corridors, you could stand and rock on them.
good car parking on hotel front, but think you would need to get there early. would go again but in summer or bring my thermals

3 Thank clena78
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I am sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay with us. I wish to assure you that if the Duty Manager had been made aware of your dissatisfaction they would have endeavoured to provide an alternative room or provide additional heating or duvets I am sorry they did not get the opportunity to assist.
Once again thank you for your feed back.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

I have to say this hotel is average compared to others I have stayed in as it wouldn't be fair on the others. That said, I actually liked it. I requested a new room at the front and for a large room (two single beds pushed together) with a lovely view of Harrogate. Free car park is fantastic and the communal areas lovely.

One lift broken and they are so small that I think it should have been a priority for them to fix that over a busy weekend. Some other persons trousers left folded in our wardrobe and very noisy creaking beds and floors. However room was lovely and warm, which dont always get in old buildings and I liked that it was a grand old building.

As was out the day and night the price and location is excellent however wouldn't recommend as the type of hotel that you'd book to lie around in and enjoy. More a stop, drop and go in my opinion. Would return if in Harrogate for a similar visit

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was plesaed to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us. Your honest feedback is welcomed , we do offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money.
It is unfortunate that some works on one of our lifts could not be actioned during your stay this unfortunatley will be out of action a little longer I wish to assure you that this is a priority but we are awaiting a part.