“Needs refurbishing”

Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
London, United Kingdom
“Needs refurbishing”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed here last month on business. The hotel is in a great location, but some rooms back onto the bars on the street behind and are very noisy as they are not double glazed. The room size was ok but the decor was very shabby. Their was a horrendous unidentified mechanical noise which meant I had to change rooms as it would not stop. The staff were helpful and friendly but I don't think the hotel is that good value for money.

Breakfast was ok, although not all the food was available 15 minutes after it was supposed to be and I was leaving very early so didn't get to enjoy everything that was meant to be on offer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not back onto the busy street behind with bars.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Thank you for your honest feedback, we offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money. It was disappointing to read that the first room allocated caused you a sleepless night but I was pleased to read that the team moved you rooms and rectified the problem.
I was also disappointing to read your comments relating to breakfast. I am at a loss as to why the offering was not the full selection and why items would be 15 mins late? If you could provide me with any further information so I might look into this further I would be most grateful.
I do hope you consider using The Yorkshire again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Nick Henry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
Swaffham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My wife & I have just returned from a long weekend staying at the Yorkshire Hotel in Harrogate,North Yorkshire. This was our second stay within 2 years & I doubt that it will be our last as the hotel is one that we are more than happy to return to again & again.
The location is excellent as it is in the center of Harrogate with everything at it's doorstep.
My wife & I can highly reccomend this to anyone who is consideribg a stay in Harrogate.

Room Tip: If you can get a room at the front of the hotel you will overlook the Montpellier area & the fam...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read you had once again enjoyed your stay with us. It is always great to read a such a review of the hotel, which I believe provides potential guests with a good idea of what a stay at the Yorkshire is all about.
I do hope we welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Warrington, England
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The service, friendliness and value for money were excellent! The food in the restaurant was superb and we were offered such a good deal we ate in both nights. Simon, the restaurant manager, was friendly and attentive.

Katie who dealt with us on reception a few times was extremely helpful and a great example of how customer service should be! She was attentive, knowledgeable and very pleasant, a breath of fresh air.

We would recommend this hotel purely for the attention to detail of the staff and the overall experience. We were sad to leave and will not hesitate to book again on our next visit to this lovely town!

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. It was very kind of you to make such generous comments about your recent stay with us. It is especially great to read about a particular individuals who has in your opinion provided exceptional customer service. I have of course passed on my personal thanks to the team.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2012

having spent over 40 years in the catering trade ( hotels, restaurants, function suites and hospitals) i feel i can well judge the yorkshire in harrogate. first of all the struture of the building is a bit tired and in some places grubby, but after all the building is old and needs constant repairs and restauration work to keep up the standard which people exspect nowadays. what the hotel lacks in this department is MORE than made up for by the entire staff who work at the yorkshire. the reception girls were always smiling and were happy to deal with any query you had. the lads in the dining room at breakfast time were happy and pleased to look after you. the breakfast itself was hot, plentyfull and a good quality.(it set my wife and up for a long day walking around york brilliantly). overall if you want a good hotel in the heart of harrgate, the yorkshire is just the job.
p.s. we will be returning next year for definate!!

Room Tip: if you can, ask for a room overlooking the stray
2 Thank gawat
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. I certainly take on board your comments relating to the decoration of the property and we are currently working through a programme of improvements. I was pleased to read that you found the staff extremely helpful, we are very fortunate to have such a great team.
Thank you once again for your comments; it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

Lancashire,UK
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We stayed here for our anniversary and had a fantastic room overlooking our favourite restaurant/cafe "Betty's". We were entitled to a free breakfast. This was buffet style and was ok. The shower was over the bath - it worked well but the water took a while to drain out of the bath, so by the end you had to "paddle" - but we would come again. Lovely large room, very comfy beds, very clean and friendly staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
yorkshiregm, General Manager at The Yorkshire Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us. I do take on board your comments in relation to the shower and once we have identified the room the problem will be rectified.
I do hope you choose to stay at the Yorkshire again as it would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Harrogate.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Firstly I will start with the good aspects; the location is great, very central. We stayed at the hotel as we were visiting the theatre; it was a very short walk to the Royal Hall, also to Harrogate Theatre if you are going there. The room was huge we stayed in 505, with lovely views looking over to Betty’s. The staff were great, in particular the lady on reception Ms Frear (didn’t catch her first name) very friendly and made us instantly welcome.

The not so good bits, we had a terrible nights sleep due to constant noise in the hotel throughout the night keeping us awake the majority of the night. Parking was a nightmare… we arrived at 3.00pm purposely early hoping parking would be available at this time, and it wasn’t. Parking is along the front of the hotel, its enough space to fit one car down although due to lack of signs on display cars continually drove the wrong way down it. At about 4pm my partner got the car from nearby pay and display parking and drove around the block into the parking area waiting for a space to become available, then we swapped and I eventually got a space about 45mins later, not a great start to the break. This seemed to be what other hotel guests were also doing due to parking being fairly expensive around the hotel, plus if you wanted to stay the next day. The shower was very poor too if it wasn’t boiling hot it was freezing cold, making it almost impossible to actually get a shower.

I would recommend staying here on the basis of a 1 night stay, for someone without a car. Our experience of the noisy night may not be a regular occurrence; however it was significant that night to put us off returning to the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. Thank you for your honest feedback, we offer a wide variety of room types and standard and we always try to offer the best value for money so I am happy to read you enjoyed room 505 aesthetics.
It was disappointing to read that the room allocated caused you a sleepless night I am unsure of the noise you refer? I am however very sorry for the poor night’s sleep.
With regard to the car parking I do take on board your comment relating to car parking, and I have stated many times before on this site we do only have 35 free spaces which are on a first come first served basis but my team are more than happy to direct you to other facilities a short distance away but they are dependent on how much you’re willing to pay. I am sorry that you were unable to locate a parking space in a more timely fashion.
It is worth noting for other readers that the road is not owned by the hotel and therefore have no control over signage. The road is in fact a public highway which does have the right of way in each direction
I would hope that you do consider using The Yorkshire again and maybe you could contact me prior.
Hyde, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have just arrived home from a two night stay at the yorkshire hotel. And I found it was nice and clean but in badly need of some TLC. The decor was in need of an up date. And the room was dark and gloomy and in my room there was damp on the walls. We stayed bed and breakfast. The breakfast was that bad I canceled breakfast on the second day of are stay. But it did have it's good points. The staff are very nice and friendly and the hotel it's self is in a good position. But after my experiences, I will not stay there again.

Christine sham

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was disappointed to read that overall you had not enjoyed your stay with us and would choose not to stay again. I do take on board your comments in relation to the tired decoration and we are steadily working through the hotel making improvements we have infact since redecorate the room to which you refer.
After further investigation it is regretable that you did not explain to reception why you wished to cancel breakfast the second day you simply said that you were going to try Betty's instead?
I do thank you for your comments relating to the team they are our very best asset and they would have loved to have had the opportunity to resolve any short falls in standards or service.

Nick Henry

Travelers are raving about these Harrogate hotels