“Odeon? Oh Dear, More Like!”
Review of Odeon Cinema

Odeon Cinema
Ranked #7 of 14 Fun & Games in Harrogate
Bolton, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Odeon? Oh Dear, More Like!”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We arrived around 40 minutes before the film started and the cinema was still being cleaned up from the last showing. No problem with that, but there was literally nowhere to sit! The foyer area had six seats and all were occupied!

When we did get into the allocated screen (5) we were a bit shocked to see that there was virtually no height staggering with the seats & the back three rows reserved for 'Premier' seating at extra cost. We sat on the row directly in front of these and I had an old chap sat in front of me. All I will say is that it's a good job he wasn't very tall. The top of his head still obscured part of the screen!

As for the seats, the least said the better. Not only was there minimal comfort with them but, to add insult to injury, they were very narrow and not at all spaced well. This meant that my wife was nearly sat on my knee throughout the film! Between her and the next occupant on the row my wife put down her coat and the other lady did likewise to leave a seat empty and give them both some much-needed elbow room.

The gents toilets were accessible from within the auditorium (through a door, into a corridor, through a second door)They were clean but reeked with the odour of stale urine. Surely not too much to ask for a bit of air freshener?
I will say that the staff were all very pleasant, though, and worked out a better value deal for me on popcorn & drinks.

Overall, I would not want to visit this cinema again. The staff saved this from being a terrible experience. Well done to them.

Visited October 2012

Harrogate
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“my children enjoyed there filmtime at the odeon”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

what a great time my children had whilst a visit to the classic odeon in Harrogate, such a friendly place to take children thank you

Visited July 2012
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Plain and eeds a good clean”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Have not been to this cinema in ages and when i went their this year it was still the same looking as when i went before which was about 10 years ago. It needs to be refurbished, it is getting run down. The service is not that great either the staff need to get better at customer service skills. The only good thing was the screen to watch the film on evberthing else was not up to standard. Overall it needs a good refurbish and they need to improve on customer service.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Adam W
Harrogate, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Tired and too small”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

This used to be a place to go for a treat, but I find that I would rather go further afield.The foyer is so cramped,that if two films start about the same time it can be quite chaotic trying to cue for tickets then for snacks etcamong people hanging around waiting to go in .The small screens are a waste of money.If someone built a decent sized cinema near Harrogate I don't think the Odeon would be able to compete.

Visited February 2012
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Oh dear...”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Gosh, what a dismal, grubby and outdated cinema this is. I first found myself in this unedifying establishment, with its peeling walls, sagging ceiling and decrepit seating, on one dismal afternoon when other plans had been foiled by the persistent rain. It is not usually my habit to go to the cinemlla alone and I really thought that I was going to be alone on this particular occasion as there was still no-one but me there shortly before the film was due to start. I was relieved when one other couple, also dripping, bustled in a couple of minutes later. They were also dismayed at the shabby surroundings and we spent several enjoyable minutes in an exchanged critique of the cinema's sub-standard facilities. The seats were set so low on the ground that by the time I left the cinema I could hardly move my neck and I could have treated myself to tea at Bettys for rather less than the astronomical cost of the cinema's refreshments. Definitely one to avoid at all costs!

Visited January 2012