“'Slightly disappointed'” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The St George Hotel

You added The St George Hotel to your Saves list
The St George Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Ripon Road, Harrogate HG1 2SY, England (Formerly Coast & Country St George Hotel)   |
Special Offer
BEST HALF BOARD RATE HERE
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Manchester, United Kingdom
“'Slightly disappointed'”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Just got back from a one night stay in this hotel. All the public areas were very comfortable and clean. Our room was also very clean although noisy as we were on the front. The bathroom was desperately in need of refurbishing. The sink had chips round it and the shelf on the wall was rusty. A big plus would have been for it to have air con then we could have kept the window closed cutting out the noise.

2 Thank Lynda B
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
We are currently undergoing a bathroom refurbishment programme and although some are indeed old, they are spotlessly clean. The fact that your sink was chipped is unacceptable and this has been replaced immediately after seeing your comments. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Crewe, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I have just returned from yet another brilliant week in this lovely hotel. I travelled with Shearings Grand Tourer and the transport and excursions were excellent. The reception staff are extremely helpful and friendly and greet you with a smile! The food in the restaurant was very good, a buffet style breakfast, and waiter/waitress service for evening meals with plenty of choices. The staff were efficient and again very friendly. I had a single room with a newly refurbished bathroom which had a shower cubicle rather than a bath (wonderful for me as I am nervous climbing out of a bath). My room, as well as all the public areas, were spotlessly clean. I am looking forward to my next visit at my favourite Shearings Hotel.

Room Tip: I think the rooms on the front of the hotel could be noisy from the traffic. My room overlooked the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
4 Thank IreneBo
Thank you so much for the review. I am so pleased that you shared your thoughts with other Trip Advisor users and would like to thank you for the kind comments you placed regarding our staff. We would be pleased to welcome you back in the future.
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Having read a previous damning review of the hotel, I was dubious. My experience of the hotel was totally opposite to the previous contributor We found our room clean and comfortable. The restaurant service was top class and the meals excellent. The hotel had a past ambiance and history about it. I can recommend and don't think that you will be disappointed. We went there on a Shearing's Grand Tourer Holiday..

Room Tip: We were overlooking the Kitchen and Dining Room roof and there was slight noise from the extractor f...
1 Thank Brymar
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us & thank you so much for your 5 star review.
I have passed on your comments to the staff who are delighted with your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back on another fantastic Shearings Holiday.
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We were booked into this hotel through a group tour. It was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I was in a single room, with a single bed and a bathroom which had peeling paint, a hot water system that scalded me everytime I used it. Outside the rooms, the carpet on the corridor was all 'wrinkled' with minimum lighting making it dangerous to walk on. There was only a bar and a dining room. Food served in the dining room was embarrassing bad. Fruit juices were watered down, toasts were cold, and for dinner, any meat I had was just a tiny, winny, slip of fatty ham or lamb!
The gardens outside were beautiful an beautifully kept. Need the same attention and investment with the inside.

Room Tip: I am sure there are better hotels in Harrogate. If you tour book you in there, you'd better boo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank Cynthia L
There is indeed a bar, a dining room but also a fully equipped leisure club (which is an added extra in Harrogate). I have reviewed the comment cards during this break and have had no other reports regarding the poor food quality. I can assure you that we don't water down any of our products and also the toasters are located in the dining room for guests to help themselves. I therefore do not understand your comments regarding cold toast.
I sincerely apologise for any inconvenienced caused and wish you luck on your future travels.

Travelers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Windermere, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We stayed here for two nights mid week in July last year, we were very comfortable and decided to stay here again. On this occasion our room was spotless and I think newly decorated but as we had booked a standard room we were at the back of the hotel, room 136 just above the extractor fans from the kitchen, we expected these to be very noisy but they were not, as they were turned off at night. We did not spend a lot of time in the room so the lack of a view from our window was not a problem.
The food was of a very good standard, we chose to eat later in the evening which sometimes means not being able to have your first choice, but there was always an alternative available. The staff are welcoming and friendly and help to make for a pleasant stay. I did not take my own advice regarding car parking and on arrival found we had not been allocated a space even though we had paid in advance. We have a large vehicle and feel this should be taken into consideration when booking as we ended up in a tight corner with no option but to reverse either in or out, with very little room to manoeuvre. Call to check your parking space has been reserved to avoid confusion on arrival. Overall. a good experience and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: We found it quiet at the back of the hotel if you are not bothered about a view.
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank Discerning055
Thank you so much for the review. I have passed your comments on to my team who will be delighted to welcome you back for a third time!
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed a couple of nights for the tour. Staff fine,gym adequate, food ok. It's a real shame the ownes don't invest some cash upgrading the rooms as the hotel is in a fantastic location and it demands some investment to make it a better hotel. I get the impression it's a stop on the coach guided tour route and is catering for volume at the price of quality. Shame

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Mr G
Our company has invested over 2.5 million so far on this fabulous property. Whilst we agree that some areas are in need of refurbishment most areas have been refurbished to an excellent standard. With over 50 properties in the group, it’s a matter of prioritising however most of our bedrooms and all public areas have been refurbished including 12 brand new bathrooms. This property is indeed in an ideal location and a good 3 star standard. Thank you for posting a review and we hope you enjoyed the Tour.
Norfolk, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed for the Tour de France weekend and were very happy with both the room and the service we received; the team running the hotel are all young and they worked unbelieveably hard during the busiest weekend they will ever have.
The room was fine, recently redecorated, bed very comfortable, clean, etc.
Big buffet breakfast, bar food food very reasonably priced and very nice.
All in all, excellent!

Room Tip: Noisier rooms on the road, quieter ones at the back.
    • 5 of 5 stars
Its wonderful to read your 5 star review and very much appreciated. My team worked amazingly hard over the weekend and in preparation for it too. I do hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel, perhaps if you decide to cycle some of the Yorkshire Grand Depart, you will always be welcome with your bikes.