“Good value for money”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have just returned from a night at this hotel with my mum and sister, we got a very good deal at less than £80 for us all in a family room consisting of one double bed and one single bed in a very large room and including breakfast. Having read previous reviews I really wasn't expecting much especially when I discovered it was a coach holiday regular hotel but I was pleasantly surprised. Yes the bedrooms are a little dated and no where near luxurious but it was clean, comfortable and spacious. The public areas were more than adequate and it was nice to have a pool and jaccuzi although both very small. Breakfast was very good the only downside was during the week breakfast ends at 9 (10 at weekends) I think it should be 10 all week. Hotel is close to all the shops, Turkish baths, exhibition centre etc. so makes an ideal base.
The only negative I can say about my visit was the unfriendly staff, not one smile from any of them, especially Sean the barman who I felt like apologising to for asking him to serve us!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

It's pleasing to read that you were happy with most aspects of your stay however I am sorry that you were made to feel this way from my bar staff. I will ensure to investigate further with the Bar Manager and Sean. After so many positive staff reviews, it is disappointing to read.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

We stayed for one night. Ideally situated for BBC Spring Good Food Show.
A lovely building and the public rooms are well decorated and maintained but the bedrooms need a bit of work, especially the bathrooms, although both were very clean. Breakfast was plentiful and un-rushed. We even found time to use the Spa, all very clean and well maintained if a bit on the small side, but we enjoyed having the access to these facilities.
The staff are very helpful and friendly, a special mention for Becca on reservations who was so helpful with information and recommendations, Deano's was great!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cookies07

How lovely to read your review, I have passed your kind comments on to Becca and she thanks you for her mention. Becca is one of the hotel's top team and not always front of house, so to be mentioned on trip advisor if wonderful. Thanks again.

Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

My Father and I stayed 2 nights in room 129. A twin, with a never before seen one double, and one large single, bed. A large, clean, room. The view over towards The Royal Baths was pleasing.

All staff were pleasant. The receptionist pointing out that, as I have poor mobility, our room had a short flight of stairs to negotiate. Not an issue, but I assumed a change of room was on offer had it been an issue.

The car parking is a nightmare. Booked via Shearings, no time was lost on taking £5 per night. Less time was spent explaining how it worked. The entry key pad is not on the entry, drivers side, but on the exit, drivers side! My Father had to go into reception for the key pad code. Could that code not be included with ones booking confirmation ? Despite my booking a car parking space, there was no space with my name in it. So, with justification, I took one of the 3 disabled car parking spots. For the first night. For the second night, someone not displaying a Blue Badge, was in my spot, and I was relegated to bay 20. On the far side of the car park. Cars were parked where bays did not exist, and in places clearly marked "No parking". On the way out of the car park, one assumes the barrier lifts automatically? No. Again you have to get out of your car to input the code. Why? Please note. Do not take the chance of following another vehicle out of the car park before the barrier goes down, and rises again. You take the chance of the barrier crashing down onto your car if you do not follow that advice. A fellow guest advised he recalls this hotels car parking strategy being much worse on a previous visit. I find that quite incredulous. You have so many spaces, you only allow that number of vehicles in. Easy peasy. The key pad should be on the drivers side as you enter. As you exit, the barrier should rise. Be intrigued to learn why it's more complicated than need be.

The lift is very small. To say it holds a maximum of five is quite funny. Not a chance of comfortably accommodating a maximum of two. How it would accommodate a wheelchair user is beyond my comprehension. The in room information clearly states the hotel to be fully accessible to wheelchair users. Assuming there to be no ground floor rooms, and an NHS Wheelchair user, I can foresee the hotel being fully accessible to wheelchair users. Apart from the lift, and the bedrooms!!

On the issue of access. I fully accept that not every eventuality can be catered for. But, please. Not all disabled folk are wheelchair users. I found the internal ramp system awkward. A bog standard hand rail, through the middle of the steps at the hotel front entrance, and the same at the entrance to the restaurant, would suffice for ambulant disabled.

There was a loud, and boisterous, wedding party on our first night. Not to my liking, but what can you do?

The dining room is a beautiful room. The waiting on staff, rushed off their feet, but courteous. The "mature" lady, in the shorter length uniform, giving a much needed distraction to the many straight laced patrons seated nearby. The food arrives at ones table so quickly as to give a whole new meaning to fast food. Hardly a personal experience, filled with panache. The food was edible. The toaster,at breakfast, gave rise to a great many mutterings of frustration. "That's mine ", and/or " Toast is not done for the second time", came the cries, from Disenchanted from Basingstoke. Could toast orders not originate from the kitchen? As one sees in the most basic of bed and breakfast establishments.

Comment has previously been made on a lack of evening bar staff. We had no issues, but we did witness those whose orders were not being met to their liking due to this issue.

As my review title suggests, the weekend was an experience. For the money, it's good value without a doubt. It was my Father's wish to stay here, he having enjoyed our Xmas 13 break in Scotland. Also Shearings. Personally, I usually keep to a smaller hotel that is more personal in its approach.

Note, finally, to some, but not all, staff. I am ambulant disabled. My own business. Two degrees. As you saw, I drive a Bentley. I have a Porsche too. The legs have gone, but the person, and his ability to communicate, are spot on. Please feel free to address me personally, and not my Father , in this instance, should you have a question for me. Does he take sugar, is not a good look.

Would I return to this hotel? I don't think so to be blunt. Not even to again meet the "mature" restaurant staff member with the fine pins. Please convey my thanks to this lady for cheering up an equally "mature" blokes otherwise so-so experience at your hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Ros1ep

Your detailed thoughts on your recent stay with us make interesting reading.
Good luck with your future hotel travel in smaller, personal hotels.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

The location of this hotel is excellent for anyone wanting to explore Harrogate. There is no pretension with this Hotel. We came as a group of 3 women and were able to book single rooms with none of the usual single person supplement. The rooms were good value for what we paid. All the necessary facilities and clean and simple. The bar was really well set out, with areas that suited small or large groups or couples. The breakfast was well organised and plentiful. The main thing about this hotel that gives it higher stars is the friendliness and good manners of every staff member I came across.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, I honestly agree and think you've summed us up very well - we aren't pretending to be something we're not and we always offer good value. My staff work very hard to ensure guests enjoy their stay and I will pass your comments on to them.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I stayed in the St George for an annual fair I attend and though I would give it a try as it looks so nice from the outside. Some parts of the building are quite stunning - the stained glass roof, the dining hall. But it could really do with a complete overhaul, as it only seem to appeal to coach parties of old people, which is fine if that's their market, but with this location it could be so much better. The room was quite small - but then I had booked a single. The bathroom was old fashioned but all worked well and a hot bath was no problem. There was tea and coffee facilities, an iron, TV and all the usual things plus a small but adequate hairdryer. What let the hotel down was the tired look of the corridors which need an update and the lack of staff in the evenings. Several people waiting at the bar said there had been nobody there most of the evening and I had to go to the dining room to find a waiter who went to find the barman. I didn't eat there, so can't comment on the food, though I did notice from the menus that there was an extremely poor choice for vegetarians and vegans and very little for those with intolerances or religious needs but perhaps they could accommodate that on request. I think I also heard a member of staff tell a customer that there was no room service, despite there being room service menus in the rooms! In all, this place is fine for a place to sleep but you probably would not think to eat there and it could do with tweaks. The other reason I booked this place was because it boasted a pool and spa. Well, if you like swimming in a pool only slightly larger than your bath, that's fine but it was all a bit cold and dirty, the changing rooms in particular.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden at the side
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Sausage19

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.
I will address your points raised regarding the bar and leisure club with the department managers.
We do have a continual refurbishment plan in place and constantly improving the hotel for the good of our guests. Perhaps we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again next year?

Reviewed April 26, 2014

I spent a few nights here in April and, despite a not hugely positive first impression, enjoyed my stay overall. Although the rooms were rather old and tired (flaking paint, some rust in the bathroom etc) they had all the facilities necessary, and were perfectly warm and comfortable. The staff were also, without exception, extremely friendly and helpful, and there was not question or problem at all about my request to move rooms when, returning the second evening, I found that paint/varnishing work in the corridor had left a strong smell of varnish in my room. The food was quite good too - there was a choice of about 4 mains, and 3 starters and desserts on the set menu each evening, and it was also possible to upgrade to the a la carte for a small surcharge. Breakfast was also good, with a cooked breakfast buffet, as well as cereal, fruit etc. The only slight disadvantage about dinner was that the times were relatively inflexible - you chose a time at breakfast, and slots were available in half-hour intervals between 6 and 8pm. The hotel's location is also good, and very central in Harrogate. The pool and gym facility is a bonus too, and I made use of it, although it was rather smaller than I had anticipated. Overall I would consider returning here, and it was certainly good value for the price paid, but it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice or my first recommendation to others. There is also quite a high chance of coinciding with a coach party - we did and, although it wasn't actually a problem, I imagine it could be on occasion.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank happytravels352

I'm pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay. As you discovered from your visit, we are constantly working to maintain and improve the hotel and I apologise if this caused you any discomfort - your understanding is appreciated.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

We booked a last minute break via Late rooms at the St George Hotel and were pleasantly surprised at the room we were allocated which was on the 2nd floor at the front of the hotel. Room very comfortable spacious and well equipped. Nice to see an ironing board and iron which are not always available. Enjoyed using the pool and spa bath and although room service was not available we were able to order a meal at the bar and take it up to our room. Bed extremely comfortable had the best night's sleep I have had in a long time. The only negative aspect was that we were told breakfast was served until 10 am however when we arrived for breakfast at
,9.15 we were informed it finished at 9am. This did spoil our experience as before this we had totally enjoyed our stay. We expressed our concerns at reception and were offered a breakfast which we took in the bar area as we felt uncomfortable at the reception we had received in the dining room.
The staff at reception were excellent however we only asked for scrambled eggs with bacon as we felt uncomfortable with the situation we found ourselves in. Having said this we would still return here as on the whole we had an enjoyable stay marred only by the poor breakfast experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Linda R
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

I am happy you were pleased with most aspects of your stay however I am sorry that you were made to feel unwelcome in the restaurant upon late arrival. I will ensure investigate this further with my Restaurant Manager. Thank you for posting a review.

Kind Regards