“great weekend”

Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
hull, united kingdom
“great weekend”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Excellent weekend staff really friendly Heather Spooner in particular . Enjoyed the swim and sauna really relaxing. Good central location with parking . Food and service excellent can't wait to visit again.

Room Tip: Lovely view from the single room I stayed in.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank trish1116
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Thank you Trish for taking the time to post your excellent review Heather and all the staff will be thrilled with your comments. We all look forward to welcoming you back here at The St George in the future.
Kind Regards
Edwina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2014

My husband and I got married here last summer! Everything from the initial planning through to the ceremony and reception was fantastic. The staff were friendly and helpful, and they worked hard to make sure that everything ran smoothly on the day. They turned the room around quickly between parts of the day and set out our games for us in the garden. One of the highlights of the day has to be the catering - amazing three course meal (they even had my favourite dish on the menu - duck) and then a great buffet in the evening, all matching our expectations perfectly. We were given the bridal suite for the night and allowed a late check out time the following day so that we could make use of the leisure facilities. All in all, it was a great place to get married and all at a reasonable price. I would recommend this as a wedding venue to anyone!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline J
Thank you Caroline for your lovely review Lynn and all the staff will be delighted to hear that the planning, ceremony and reception for your special day went so smoothly. It’s great that the catering matched all your expectations perfectly we do try to cater for all tastes having varied menus available.
Thank you again for your lovely review and your recommendation is greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Edwina
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 10, 2014

I booked a twin room at the St George for 2 nights via Booking.com. I had read the previous Trip Advisor reviews and decided to take a chance. I travel all over the UK on business and usually stay in Premier Inn types. Never again. If there is a coast and country nearby they will now be my first choice. Yes the St George needs some touching up here and there but the friendliness of the staff is second to none. I have never felt so at home whilst away. The price was very reasonable considering its proximity to the town. The breakfast was ideal for me, Full English, Kippers, Salmon, Fresh fruit, Yogurt, the list goes on. I have a weird thing about eggs but 5 minutes after I told my waitress 2 perfect boiled eggs arrived. The hotel was spotlessly clean everywhere. Room 200 is huge and although the décor is not to my taste I was so impressed with the rest of the place I wouldn't be able to complain. Well done to all at the St George.

Room Tip: If you want the best night of quiet sleep ask for 200. (Twin room)
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank CVSEastbourne
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to post a wonderfully honest 5 star review of you recent stay. I whole heartedly agree my team work tirelessly to ensure that all guests enjoy their time with us whether it be for a night or a week.
We are continuing our improvement programme in the hotel so I’m sure that you will notice continual changes as you visit us again.
For future reservations at the St George or any other of the Coast & Country Hotels please feel free to call my team at the hotel, they will match any rates you see and ensure your room preferences are met.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2014

We stayed three nights and our daughter for one night.
Our bed was very hard, so a mattress topper was provided for the second and third nights.
Our room was in an outer corner so we had no traffic in the corridor. Our daughter was in a main corridor and she found the floor boards and fire doors in the corridor noisy. All the doors could do with being lubricated.
The lift is very small, but at least there is one. We used the stairs.
The hotel is OK but with so many options in Harrogate there was nothing to attract us back.
The car park system needs to be sorted out. The staff are very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank londonnewbride2016
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
The St George Hotel is an Edwardian building and unfortunately we do have a few creaky floorboards due to it's age, however it’s the first time I’ve heard about noisy doors – thanks for letting us know I will ensure Maintenance check them and lubricate them where required.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I decided to book a night in Harrogate because I was driving London-Edinburgh and needed a half way point to stop. I chose the St George Hotel because it had spa facilities and good ratings, I was intending to spend the my time relaxing in the spa.
Parking wasn't available when I booked, but I arrived on a Sunday, so I could park anywhere anyway. First impressions were good, lovely foyer and seating areas, friendly staff.
I booked into a single room, the room looked out onto the Royal Hall. It was clean, and a good size, the heating was easy to control and the bed was really comfortable. Some aspects of the bathroom were very worn, some exposed plumbing, mismatched suite and badly finished, I've never seen so many shades of white in one room! It could do with being refreshed.

The spa was good, sauna, steam room, pool and jacuzzi, it's not luxurious but good enough to enjoy.

I had dinner in the bar, not the restaurant, that night and that was the only thing that was disappointing. The food was expensive and below par, it had definitely just come out of a freezer and blasted in a microwave.

I had paid the £5 for breakfast and it was definitely worth it. Good selection of food in a nice environment.

I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Royal Hall can be noisy at night.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank jenna W
I’m pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and the facilities in the hotel. As we have mentioned on other replies we are continuing with our improvement programme and we will shortly be replacing several bathroom suites completely.
Its good to read that you enjoyed the breakfast, however I’m sorry that you felt that way about the bar food, I would have being interested to hear your comments at the time and have being able to rectify them for you.
I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed Monday to Frida, the hotel is spotless all the staff we're excellent the food of a high quality, we didn't upgrade our food as the menu had a good selection all waiting staff were very attentive. Our room had a squeaky floor but you can expect it in an older hotel. We had no hot water one evening but we were assured that it would be fixed as soon as poss, at dinner we were offered a complementary glass of wine which I found a nice gesture and the hot water was ok in the morning. The hotel in the centre of Harrogate. The spa was a great bonus. Would definitely recommend. Mr Mrs Stancombe

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you, Mr & Mrs Stancombe, for taking the time to share your thoughts. We did indeed have a problem with the hot water one evening and again apologise, we hope it didn’t cause too much inconvenience. Shearings Holidays have some fantastic holidays & offers and I hope you find the time to visit again soon.
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2014

This hotel well worth a visit in the centre of harogate comfortable and clean staff helpful and polite. Breakfast really good evening meals slightly less so but above average. Pool and sauna wonderful. Very relaxing reasonably priced rooms clean bright and airy.

Room Tip: No Evening entertainment so take some of your own however town so close not a problem
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
It’s lovely to read your review and that you enjoyed your recent break. I hope to be able to welcome you back again and will pass your kind comments on to my team.