“Lovely Hotel with helpful staff”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We have just returned from a weekend break from this hotel. When we booked it was stated that parking could be booked in advance, we never booked and had to find parking. Yes it can be daunting when you arrive in the dark and not knowing the area. If you have a mobility condition, I would suggest you book parking as it could be a ten minute walk back to the hotel. We were on the first floor and due to being so central there was a high noise level from the traffic, which meant the window had to be kept closed to reduce noise level, no need to have heating on in room, once window was closed the room felt very warm. Beds were very comfortable, and pleanty of hot water for a bath. Reception staff throughout the weekend were pleasant and helpful. Resteraunt had good lighting and was clean, breakfast was self service, good choice and well cooked. Evening meals were well presented and served by cheerful waiters/waitress staff, nothing seemed to be any trouble. Room staff were cheerful and helpful also kept the room clean. We used the spa facilities which were kept to a high standard by expereinced staff.

We have stayed at many Shearings hotels over the years, I have to say this is the best by far.
Maybe this could be a flagship hotel for shearings, and allow other Shearings hotel staff to visit and to learn by example.

Thankyou for a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: To avoid a high noise level, request a high level room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Thank you for you wonderful review, the staff will be really chuffed to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. Hopefully we'll see you in Harrogate again very soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed at the St George's Hotel in Harrogate on Saturday 24th November, in room 106 and had been looking forward to the stop after a visit last year by my parents, and I come to the Knitting and Stitching show each year, so thought this would be a lovely treat, especially as it's 24 years since I met my husband, so this was supposed to be a romantic weekend away for us.

Although the room was of a good size, the bathroom was in a very poor state (although we were told by the receptionist on checkout that this is the next part of the refurbishment), the noise from the road outside was really bad and nothing could be done about this.

But the worst thing was the plumbing noise from the two adjacent rooms, from one side we got a loud noise when the cistern from the toilet was refilling, and from the other side, not only did we get this noise, but then this was followed by what sounded like a pneumatic drill. Unfortunately, these noises went on until after 11:30 at night (no fault of the occupants of these rooms) and then started again at 7am, so you can imagine with this, accompanied by the road noise, we hardly got any sleep that night.

We did point this out to the receptionist on check out, but I feel as though it should be put in writing about our disappointment. I have tried to email the manager of the hotel twice, but got no reply.

Also, we booked our room well in advance, and were also not told about the change to the car park and had to park elsewhere in the town, although we were offered a disc so we could stay in the disc zone.

Room Tip: bring some ear plugs
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Bedroom 106 is a lovely bright room, the bathroom is a little dated but spotlessly clean and serviceable. I'm sorry that you encountered problems with noise from the plumbing during your stay, had you reported this prior to your departure it would have allowed us to rectify the problem for you. We are in a very central position in Harrogate and benefit from easy access to the shops and amenities, this does mean there is a certain amount of traffic noise, for future reference you are able to request a quiet room at the back of the hotel.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I've been staying here for many years, since it was a Swallow hotel. It's great because it's bang int he centre of town and had free parking on site,had being the operative word. I booked in January and was sent a letter advising that there was free parking for the use of guests. On arrival I was asked if I had reserved a parking space and when I said no, I was told all the spaces were full and I would have to park elsewhere and that I could have a space the next day at a charge of £5. i pointed out my reservation letter clearly stated free parking for guests and was told this policy had changed in April and all booked guests had been notified. I pointed out that I had not been so notified at which the receptionist shrugged and said all spaces were fully booked. It's just not making a fuss about nothing as there is literally nowhere to park in the town. I then asked to speak to someone in authority and was left to sit for some time until eventually the receptionist returned to say the person in charge was busy dealing with food orders and there was nothing they could do but I could have a free space the next day. I ended up having to drive half a mile away to find some where to park on the open street and then having to walk the half mile back into town. This totally spoiled the first day of our trip, as we are both elderly ladies and found the incident very upsetting, not to mention the walking! Having said that the rest of the stay was pleasant. The hotel is comfortable, the rooms had been refurbished since our last stay and it is very central for the exhibition centre and the shops etc. As it is so central there can be a lot of street noise at night and traffic noise but the hotel itself is quiet. The bar area has been extended this year and offers very reasonable hot snacks from lunchtime up until 10 at night, in addition to the hotel restaurant. Sadly it no longer offers room service which used to be a nice option. There is also a health suite with sauna, jacuzzi, steam room and small pool as well as a fitness room. Pool wasn't working first night but that was not their fault but due to local flooding. Breakfast has a good choice and the dining room is very pleasant. Once we got over the iniital upset we enjoyed our stay. It does rankle to be asked to pay such a high price to park as a guest, more and more hotels are pulling this trick. It appears that part of the car park at this hotel has been disposed of, making what remains much smaller and therefore guests will have to compete for places so be warned or come on the train!

Room Tip: Choose a high floor if you want to avoid traffic and street noise.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank skemjazzer
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I’m deeply sorry that we could not offer you a space in the car park. As you are aware car parking in Harrogate is at a premium, which is exactly the reason why we have implemented these new measures to ensure that our guests at least have a chance of a space, That said however as you point out the car park has reduced in size and now only has 35 spaces, once these are taken, other guests are directed to the free street parking surrounding the hotel or the Multi-storey car park which is just 2 minutes walk away.
I’m pleased you enjoyed the refurbishment of the hotel so far and please be assured of our guests best interests at all times. I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

I reported problems with my room on arrival and was told they would be fixed. One problem could have been fixed with a simple visit to the room, as it was simply an adjustment to the hot water. However, a visit didn't occur till the second morning of my stay when I complained again. The deadbolt on my door wasn't working and I was told by a member of staff "not to worry it's Harrogate" and that that would be fixed. It still isn't. What's more it took two phone calls and a 20 minute wait to get this answer. The third call which was part of the hot water issue on the second morning the manager told me, he might be able to get it fixed but what could he do it looked like the door needed taking out of its frame! Incidentally at the end of my stay which was for four days it still wasn't fixed.

A big part of a break away for me is use of a pool I use them every day when on holiday but there has been an unfixable problem with the hotel pool and jacuzzi since arrival. Which I wasn't told about on arrival or in the spa so I actually was handed towels and got fully changed - it wasn't till i approached the pool that it was evident it was out of use. I realise the manager may not be able to get it fixed but surely when you offer a package including use of a spa when its not available you offer the guest a reduction in the price of their accomodation or some compensation. Calling head office got me no further either, if I write a letter after my stay somone may deign to consider my complaint. This could be a good hotel if they took complaints seriously and dealt with them in a quick and efficient manner. Instead of becoming an advocate I'll be telling the rest of my family who are regular shearings customers to avoid this hotel.

And if i'm being picky then the sink is cracked and the bathroom paint looking the worse for wear. So the person who complained about a cracked sink on another report isn't alone.

Ok so this was as far as my review went and before posting I gave Sherings a chance to resolve it from headoffice by emailing them but deadly silence - hence the post, then I had another two days at the hotel within the same stay - during which my reserved parking space was given to other guests not once but twice!

On the up side,the bedroom is of of a good standard and the staff are very pleasant. The food is reasonable and good value for money. I just wish that the duty manager had dealt with my complaints in a different way - examples which would have resolved the situation offering me complementary wine with dinner, a discount on my stay, changing my room - all options. Try asking the customer, "have i resolved the complaint to your satisfaction"? Then you'll know if you need to go further to turn things around rather than leaving them with a shrug of the shoulders.

Room Tip: If you are paying the full price for this hotel don't its not worth the list price. Sherings tow...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank jgirl26

I have read your recent review with disappointment; I’m saddened that we could not rectify the faults you pointed out to us straight away. My Maintenance Manager has assessed the deadbolt and the sink and these will be repaired when the parts become available. I do feel that its slightly unjust that you criticised us because of the pool being out of use, when this was an act of God and due to local flooding in the area, naturally we put signage up to notify guests of the closure as soon as possible.
It pleasing to read that you enjoyed the bedroom and food and that you thought the staff were all very pleasant.
I hope that this recent visit does not deter you from holidaying with us again as Coast and Country Hotels have some fantastic offers at beautiful hotels in stunning locations.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Good Hotel, Shops & Centre of Harrogate very accessable, but excessive noise from the
nearby Nightclub until 3.30am to 4a.m spoilt the 4 night break.
Hotel operates 100% car parking fee of £5 per night (rather excessive) no option,as parking in Harrogate is very limited. This should be stated in the Brochures.
Good food & Staff at Hotel,would have liked to have "Cheese" as an alternative choice on the Sweet Menu.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the Rear of Hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

The St George as you say is very central to all local amenities, an ideal base for shopping or indeed getting out into the countryside for scenic walk. Thankyou for your kind comments regarding the staff and food at the Hotel. We do charge for parking which for most of our guests brings peace of mind for a reasonable fee, I'm sorry you felt this was excessive. We are in talks with the council regarding the night club, however as you suggest rooms at the back of the hotel can be requested.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

stayed for 2 nights really good valve for money....the reception staff especially (sorry the young man with glasses) was really helpful he gave us maps to help find our way around and nothin was to much trouble,the bar was ok just ran out of my husbands favourite beer,the parking was some times awkward....the meals were value for money....what would be nice is some evening entertainment,we would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed 2 good value for money nights with us earlier this week. I will pass on your kind comments to Chris on reception, I am glad he was so helpful and was able to make your time in Harrogate enjoyable. Apologies for the bar running out of your husband’s favourite beer. I am pleased to hear you would stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back, contact us ahead of arrival and we will order extra beer!.
Regards

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights 14-16 nov 2012.the hotel is well decorated to a high standard,reception staff were pleasant on arrival,would advise to use the £5 a day car parking facility which we did and on arrival there was a space reserved for us with our name on it.the rooms were very nicely decorated to a good standard very clean and comfortable,the only fault with our rooms were that they where on the front of the hotel and it was a bit noisy at nit.the restaurant was good service with a option of which meal time you want.the food was of a good quality and nicely presented.the only fault we found with the hotel was that it had no entertainment at night which with a full day out in Harrogate we would have liked to relax at night with some entertainment.would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Would advise to book rooms at back of hotel if you want a quite night
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Thank you for placing such a nice review of your stay with us. I am pleased to read that you found the car parking system works well and represents good value for money. It is also pleasing to read that you found the food to be of good quality and nicely presented especially after reading the last review from guests which stayed on the same weekend as you did. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and if you would like a quiet room at the rear please contact us a week in advance of arrival and we will arrange this for you.