“very good”

Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“very good”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

stayed for 2 nights really good valve for money....the reception staff especially (sorry the young man with glasses) was really helpful he gave us maps to help find our way around and nothin was to much trouble,the bar was ok just ran out of my husbands favourite beer,the parking was some times awkward....the meals were value for money....what would be nice is some evening entertainment,we would stay here again.

Room Tip: rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
I am pleased to read that you have enjoyed 2 good value for money nights with us earlier this week. I will pass on your kind comments to Chris on reception, I am glad he was so helpful and was able to make your time in Harrogate enjoyable. Apologies for the bar running out of your husband’s favourite beer. I am pleased to hear you would stay with us again and I look forward to welcoming you back, contact us ahead of arrival and we will order extra beer!.
Edwina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights 14-16 nov 2012.the hotel is well decorated to a high standard,reception staff were pleasant on arrival,would advise to use the £5 a day car parking facility which we did and on arrival there was a space reserved for us with our name on it.the rooms were very nicely decorated to a good standard very clean and comfortable,the only fault with our rooms were that they where on the front of the hotel and it was a bit noisy at nit.the restaurant was good service with a option of which meal time you want.the food was of a good quality and nicely presented.the only fault we found with the hotel was that it had no entertainment at night which with a full day out in Harrogate we would have liked to relax at night with some entertainment.would definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Would advise to book rooms at back of hotel if you want a quite night
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for placing such a nice review of your stay with us. I am pleased to read that you found the car parking system works well and represents good value for money. It is also pleasing to read that you found the food to be of good quality and nicely presented especially after reading the last review from guests which stayed on the same weekend as you did. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future and if you would like a quiet room at the rear please contact us a week in advance of arrival and we will arrange this for you.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed here with 7 friends on Fri 16th November - Sun 18th November, we last stayed here 3 years ago and had done several times before and much enjoyed it. It seems everything has changed in the interim not least the decor , which is actually an improvement - however most other aspects had got worse. The reception staff were very friendly and efficient but the car parking system they have in place is a shambles and it costs £5 per night per car. The room was comfy, quiet and quite clean. The biggest change is the clientele - obviously the hotel now caters for the mature traveller - mainly coach parties, so if you are looking for a lively fun atmosphere look elsewhere. Dining was not to be recommended- I don't think that I've ever had such appalling food in years, we stayed half board so our evening meal was included in the price so we felt that we had to eat there. It seems everything that came out of the kitchen had been removed from the freezer and then incinerated to a congealed mess for serving.

Won't be visiting again it used to be such good value.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you liked our new décor and the refurbishment of the hotel since your last visit. I am sorry that you were unable to park in your allocated bay on arrival, as reception explained to you at the time this was due to a late collection of a hire car from the previous guest. We did however find alternative parking for you immediately and I don’t think it is fair to say that the car parking system is a shambles, it is very organised and works extremely well. We have a mixture of clientele and do not cater mainly for coach parties, the hotel has a capacity of 145 and we normally have one coach in with around 40 guests, I am sorry if you have objections to the mature traveller. I also feel your comments regarding the food are harsh, most of the food is cooked from fresh and we certainly do not incinerate meals to a congealed mess for serving. I was seating and checking guests had enjoyed their meals over the weekend and on no occasion did you raise any concerns about the food you had eaten.

Stephen Squires
Deputy General Manager

Travelers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night after travelling over to Harrogate for a family gathering. Check in was fine and the girl on reception very friendly. The room was very dated the tiles in the bathroom mouldy in the joints but generally it was just very tired.
Th bed was no the best but not too bad. In the morning I went down for breakfast I waited to be seated for a few minutes as there was no one at the welcome point. I waited for a good 10 mins hoping to be asked if I would like tea or coffee in the end I went an asked myself the breakfast was a buffet type and the quality very poor.
I will not return nod would not recommend

• Stayed November 2012
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I am very disappointed to read your review. It is very poor and very out of character compared with other reviews we have received of late. I am sorry that you found the breakfast quality poor and can’t really understand why, we use quality produce and there is a wide selection of both hot and cold items. There are also some items which can be ordered from the menu which are cooked fresh including kippers, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, and poached eggs. I apologise if you had to wait 10 minutes to be asked if you would like tea or coffee this is certainly not normal.
Sussex, UK
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Arrived and checked in efficiently and politely. We had requested a "quiet room" and found it at the back of the hotel on second floor overlooking the car park. What we hadn't requested was "quiet guests" as the room above us was occupied by people who spent most of the night "stomping" around their room and talking loudly. After being kept awake until 2.40am on the second night we spoke to reception and the duty manager allocated us a better room at the front of the hotel. This room was huge and very well equipped and only suffered from road noise which was acceptable after the previous experience!
All the staff were friendly, efficient and very helpful and it wouldn't be fair to pick anyone out as they all seemed to be happy in their work and it showed.
Meals were good with reasonable choice and value for money. Worth booking half board as 3 courses for £10 was excellent value.
Overall a excellent choice of hotel despite the noisy neighbours!!!

Room Tip: For quiet rooms ask for one at the back of the hotel on a higher floor.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and felt that we offer good value for money. I am sorry that you had some noisy guests above you at first, unfortunately it is impossible for us to police this. I am however pleased to read that we were able to move you to another room which we will do for any guest who is unhappy if we possibly can. I will pass your kind comments on to my team.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Having stayed in a couple of other Shearings Coast & Country hotels (as well as one of the dreaded Bay Hotels which should be avoided at all costs!) and been very satisfied, the St. George exceeded all expectations! I really don't know how Shearings manage to provide such excellent service for the money. The public rooms of the hotel were beautiful, our bedrooms were comfortable and clean - although one of the bathrooms did have a cracked sink - and the food was of an extremely high standard. The free spa was fabulous. The staff, with one exception - the surly barman - couldn't do enough to help us. We will definitely return in 2013.

Well done Shearings and please bring your other Coast & Country hotels up to the same standard.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you found us to be an excellent Coast and Country hotel. I am sorry to read that one of the bedrooms had a cracked sink, we do replace any cracked sinks as soon as possible when hotel occupancy allows. I am pleased that you had the time to use our spa, it is particularly nice to spend an hour or two relaxing in the steam room and sauna to escape the cold now that the nights are drawing in. We look forward to welcoming you back in 2013!. Please contact reservations here at the hotel to make your next booking.
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Lovely room , dining staff very friendly and helpful. Food really good we were a party of 40plus but this did not phase them.When looking to go to the local cinema the receptionist was very helpful telephoned and booked tickets for six of us. The break from Monday to Friday was really all you needed. The area is delightful and my only criticism was the bar staff at the hotel who did not seem to happy with life. Will come again soon.

Room Tip: Perhaps not to stay at front of hotel as local night club noisy
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
The first thing I did this morning was to view trip advisor, it's a great start to my day reading a review like yours. I am so pleased you were delighted with the service and standard of food. Your comment regarding the bar staff surprises me but you can rest assured I will review this.