“wont visit st george again” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The St George Hotel

The St George Hotel
Ranked #22 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
lincoln
“wont visit st george again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Arrived at the hotel to be told room wasnt ready so had to spend over an hour sat in reception not a good start .The room was shabby with stains on the carpet and a cracked window .The room overlooked the car park which was ok but i could only open the window a fraction so couldnt really look out .The bathroom was shabby and there was a pool of water on the floor as either the toilet or sink unit was leaking.The mattress was very lumpy and uncomfortable .Breakfast ok as it was self service and there was a wide variety of choices.The evening meals however were not nice very tough meat ,a couple times i sent meals back as i could not eat them .On the whole the place needs refurbishment .

Room Tip: Opt for the top floor as sound insulation isnt very good
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
11 Thank nicola s
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
I am sorry to read that you were so disappointed with your recent stay with us. We try and get rooms ready as quickly as possible and rooms are always ready by check in time at 3pm, I trust you arrived early and the staff made sure your room was ready as soon as possible. All the windows in guest rooms have restricted opening, this is common practice in the hotel industry as a whole and is for health and safety reasons. I am particularly concerned that you felt your bedroom and bathroom were so shabby, I do not believe we have any rooms which are in the state you mention. Please contact me directly with the room number you stayed in and I will personally investigate further. Again I am sorry that you were not happy with the evening meals in the restaurant, we usually receive praise regarding our food as you will have seen in other reviews. I hope you will reconsider your decision not to stay with us again and would ask that you contact me directly should you wish to make a future reservation so that we have the opportunity to redeem ourselves.

Edwina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I travelled with my Mother by Shearings coach to the St George Hotel, Harrogate for a five day break(15-19 October). The hotel appears to have undergone a fairly recent refurbishment as all public areas were well presented with good paintwork and furnishings. Indeed our bedroom was also very clean with good facilities and a very large bathroom with a modern semi circular bath with shower. My Mother's single room was also clean and adequate, although she would have appreciated a chest of drawers in the room. We requested quite rooms at the back of the hotel and whilst they lacked a good view, they ensured we could sleep well.

The hotel staff were very friendly and efficient. The restaurant was spacious and very well run. Buffet breakfast was very good, as was the the food at the evening meal. As on a coach trip the choice was limited. However, the option was available to choose a meal from the full menu at a reduced price.

A well equipped gym and a good sized swimming pool were available for those guests wishing to use them.

The only criticism we would have about the hotel is the lack of any entertainment while we were there. This led to the bar and lounge areas being underused and a general lack of atmosphere in the hotel after the evening meal had been served. We were not expecting or wanting to play bingo, but the so called relaxed entertainment was so relaxed we failed to find it.

Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel. It has a prime position in Harrogate, it is clean, well run with good accommodation and food.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JP1Surrey
Thank you for posting an excellent and detailed review of your time with us, I am sure it will be of help to other guests planning a stay. The inclusive table d ‘hote menu and daily specials are included in half board packages and as you state there is an a la carte menu which guests can also dine from at a discounted price. I am pleased you found our leisure club to be well equipped and the pool well sized. We have recently moved over to being a hotel without entertainment providing a more relaxed atmosphere for our guests, however this is constantly reviewed.

LEIGH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

Comfortable and friendly hotel. Excellent facilities. Good choice of food. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Well situated for sightseeing in Harrogate and for the surrounding area. Adviseable to pre-book parking space as difficult to find parking due to hotel being in the town. Dining room and bar area have been nicely decorated but the corridor areas would benefit from upgrade in decoration. The Spa and exercise area were good but the changing rooms could do with an upgrade.Would stay there again and recommend the hotel to family and friends

Room Tip: Standard rooms are overlooking the car park and were adequate, also very quiet. If you want a view a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MAUREEN J
Your review is a pleasure to read, I am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend break with us. We have already started a full redecoration of the hotel corridors and you must have been on the 1st or 2nd floors as the third floor is now completed. They have started with the ceilings on the other two floors and are making great progress. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and thank you for recommending us to family and friends.

York, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

My parents organised their golden wedding anniversary party here and 12 of us went for a meal. The hotel has seen better days. many Harrogate hotels were fabulous 20 years ago but the world has moved on and the have failed to keep pace. The staff were very helpful and polite. The food was extremely poor and the large dining room lacked atmosphere. We had pleasant evening but I would not choose to return there are much nicer places in Harrogate.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Beartravels2003
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
I am disappointed to read about your experience in our restaurant last week. We often receive praise for our food as you will have seen in other reviews. I can’t understand why the restaurant lacked atmosphere as we were very busy on the evening you dined. As a gesture of goodwill and to prove that we do indeed serve excellent food I would like to invite your parents to join us for Sunday Lunch which we are starting to offer from this weekend. Please contact me directly to make a booking for them.
Edwina

Travelers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had read some of the other reviews and didn;t know what to expect at the St George. However, we needn't have worried because everything at the hotel was perfect. We had a lovely room, beautifully decorated, large bathroom with a good powerful shower. The public areas of the hotel were spacious and tastefully decorated. We thought the staff were friendly and helpful and dressed very smartly. There was a bit of noise from outside on Saturday night, but only what you would expect from staying in the middle of a town. The only downside was the parking issue, we were unable to book a parking space and had to park in a residential road which was a fair walk. But on the whole, the hotel provided a very relaxing and comfortable stay and WE WOULD NOT HESITATE TO RECOMMEND.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time and effort to post such a positive review. I am pleased to hear that you found everything perfect and that previous negative reviews were not accurate. I am sorry that you booked too late to book a parking space with us, I assume you parked on Dutchy Road which is a five minute walk away. I took great pleasure in passing your kind comments on to the staff.
Lichfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Arrived on Friday 14th September only to find you had to reserve car parking spaces in advance at £5 per night or use expensive pay car parks or park some distance away if you could find room.
Staff friendly enough and hotel clean and spacious and rooms excellent but food was another big disappointment.
Self service breakfast no problem. Dinner plenty of problems. Roast lamb on third night was so tough our knives and teeth could not penentrate it. The roast beef served to the rest of our party was no better. Standard of dinners overall was very poor.
Beware of giving this hotel your debit/credit card to act as a deposit for your spending on your account. They took £120 out of mine and when I settled my account for £45 spent they failed to release the £120 meaning my bank would not allow me to use my own money. It took three irate phone calls to get it corrected and 4 days to sort out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I'm glad you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. It surprises me that you did not enjoy the food as we receive many compliments, I wonder did you raise your concerns during your stay?. We introduced the parking charge to give guests peace of mind knowing their space was reserved. I apologise for the problem you encountered with your card, the pre authorisation we take should be realeased as soon as your account is settled.

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

a hotel situated in the heart of town friendly staff.good foodand choice of menu.and meal times..large bedroomand bathroom very clean and kept tidy during the week.towels could be changed every day if wanted tv;s could do with upgrading.

Room Tip: choose first floor rooms at rear of hotel as alittle noisey at front
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
What a lovely review of our hotel - thank you. I'm sure you will be pleased to learn that all the TV's have now been replaced with new flat screen TV's which has made a big improvement.
Don't leave it too long before you return