“Weekend Trip”

The St George Hotel
Ranked #22 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Comfortable and friendly hotel. Excellent facilities. Good choice of food. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Well situated for sightseeing in Harrogate and for the surrounding area. Adviseable to pre-book parking space as difficult to find parking due to hotel being in the town. Dining room and bar area have been nicely decorated but the corridor areas would benefit from upgrade in decoration. The Spa and exercise area were good but the changing rooms could do with an upgrade.Would stay there again and recommend the hotel to family and friends

Room Tip: Standard rooms are overlooking the car park and were adequate, also very quiet. If you want a view a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MAUREEN J
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Your review is a pleasure to read, I am pleased that you enjoyed your weekend break with us. We have already started a full redecoration of the hotel corridors and you must have been on the 1st or 2nd floors as the third floor is now completed. They have started with the ceilings on the other two floors and are making great progress. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and thank you for recommending us to family and friends.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

My parents organised their golden wedding anniversary party here and 12 of us went for a meal. The hotel has seen better days. many Harrogate hotels were fabulous 20 years ago but the world has moved on and the have failed to keep pace. The staff were very helpful and polite. The food was extremely poor and the large dining room lacked atmosphere. We had pleasant evening but I would not choose to return there are much nicer places in Harrogate.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Beartravels2003
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

I am disappointed to read about your experience in our restaurant last week. We often receive praise for our food as you will have seen in other reviews. I can’t understand why the restaurant lacked atmosphere as we were very busy on the evening you dined. As a gesture of goodwill and to prove that we do indeed serve excellent food I would like to invite your parents to join us for Sunday Lunch which we are starting to offer from this weekend. Please contact me directly to make a booking for them.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We had read some of the other reviews and didn;t know what to expect at the St George. However, we needn't have worried because everything at the hotel was perfect. We had a lovely room, beautifully decorated, large bathroom with a good powerful shower. The public areas of the hotel were spacious and tastefully decorated. We thought the staff were friendly and helpful and dressed very smartly. There was a bit of noise from outside on Saturday night, but only what you would expect from staying in the middle of a town. The only downside was the parking issue, we were unable to book a parking space and had to park in a residential road which was a fair walk. But on the whole, the hotel provided a very relaxing and comfortable stay and WE WOULD NOT HESITATE TO RECOMMEND.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time and effort to post such a positive review. I am pleased to hear that you found everything perfect and that previous negative reviews were not accurate. I am sorry that you booked too late to book a parking space with us, I assume you parked on Dutchy Road which is a five minute walk away. I took great pleasure in passing your kind comments on to the staff.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Arrived on Friday 14th September only to find you had to reserve car parking spaces in advance at £5 per night or use expensive pay car parks or park some distance away if you could find room.
Staff friendly enough and hotel clean and spacious and rooms excellent but food was another big disappointment.
Self service breakfast no problem. Dinner plenty of problems. Roast lamb on third night was so tough our knives and teeth could not penentrate it. The roast beef served to the rest of our party was no better. Standard of dinners overall was very poor.
Beware of giving this hotel your debit/credit card to act as a deposit for your spending on your account. They took £120 out of mine and when I settled my account for £45 spent they failed to release the £120 meaning my bank would not allow me to use my own money. It took three irate phone calls to get it corrected and 4 days to sort out.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

I'm glad you found the hotel to be clean and comfortable. It surprises me that you did not enjoy the food as we receive many compliments, I wonder did you raise your concerns during your stay?. We introduced the parking charge to give guests peace of mind knowing their space was reserved. I apologise for the problem you encountered with your card, the pre authorisation we take should be realeased as soon as your account is settled.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

a hotel situated in the heart of town friendly staff.good foodand choice of menu.and meal times..large bedroomand bathroom very clean and kept tidy during the week.towels could be changed every day if wanted tv;s could do with upgrading.

Room Tip: choose first floor rooms at rear of hotel as alittle noisey at front
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

What a lovely review of our hotel - thank you. I'm sure you will be pleased to learn that all the TV's have now been replaced with new flat screen TV's which has made a big improvement.
Don't leave it too long before you return

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We stayed for three nights to relax in Harrogate and surrounding area. The room was very large with lovely big beds. The pool and spa facilities were all pleasant and we often had them to ourselves. Breakfast was fine and the dining room a lovely room with good service. Some of the hallways had tired decor but this did not detract from the lovely old building.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back overlooking the car park it was lovely and quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your complimentary review, we do have some lovely large bedrooms and it's great to relax in our Leisure Club. I will pass on your comments to the staff who love to hear that our guests have enjoyed themselves. We are presently working on decorating the corridors to brighten them up, as I'm sure you realise that's a huge task due to the size of the building.
Hope to see you again in Harrogate

Reviewed September 14, 2012

While the hotel has seen better days it was clean and comfortable. All the staff were polite and helpful, the breakfast service was fast and efficient.
The single room I stayed in was very comfy, could do with more storage or a suitcase stand.
I had read some other reviews which found lots of faults so I wasn't sure what to expect but I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the the standard.
The only thing that could be looked at is handing in your key when you go out,at times the was a queue at reception to collect your key.
Had a really enjoyable stay and hope to visit again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Sheila O
EdwinaStevens, General Manager at The St George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and agree that some of the previous reviews are somewhat harsh. It is not compulsory to hand in your key when you go out it is just preferred for security reasons and in order to save time checking empty rooms in the event of an emergency evacuation. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again.