“THE DIRTIEST MOST DISCUSTING B+B IVE EVER ENCOUNTERED WITH UNACCEPTABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE”
Review of Ashley House Hotel

Ashley House Hotel
Ranked #72 of 83 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Sounds perfect online !! BE WARNED !! Where to start, on arrival there was nobody at reception and I was TOLD over the phone where to go. I entered a dingy little attic room that initially smelt damp and from the moment I started unpacking my things all I came across was filth, dust, debris and it just got worse to the point I began to itch. The overquilt on the bed smelt old and dirty so I removed it, surprisingly the sheets and pillows seemed spotless but as I sat on the bed I sank into metal springs. I decided to make a coffee only to find a thick layer of dust on the kettle lid and coffee stains in the cup. Every surface was dusty and I kept spotting short black hairs everywhere. The floor had bits all over it. As I lay on the bed I could feel the cold from the attic drop roof ceiling which closed off half the room and hung just inches over my head. I moved the bed over only to discover 3 dirty head elastics, 3 mcdonalds COLD CHIPS !!!, sweet wrappers in the drawers, an old soap bar. There was no heating throughout the night and I slept in my coat. By morning I was ready to go complaining. I decided to go for breakfast, no one was there and I had to phone to get attention. I poured myself a coffee from the jug, sipped it, it was stone cold and obviously had been there from the day before. It gets worse ! A couple of the yoghurts were out of date. The toast that came was stone cold, the breakfast was discusting. Cold beans that looked recycled from someone elses plate, burnt egg and a shrivelled up sausage with a rubber piece of bacon. I complained about the room at reception. Was assured this would be rectified and the room cleaned. Ok I thought, its just hassle trying to find somewhere else as it was fully booked almost everywhere else within the local area, so Ill give it a chance. Came back on the night, asked at reception if the room had been cleaned, oh yes she says!...went upstairs, the hair was still all over the bath, still bits on the floor, just as id left everything. I was fuming by now and went back downstairs complaining yet again. She said maybe they missed it off the list. She asked a guy to check and clean the room, I said the dirty things id found on the floor were in the bin if they wanted proof...guess what, he had been in to clean as the bin had been emptied. So that was his idea of cleaning?? I went mad this time and demanded another room. Ok, upgraded to a double 2 doors down, she says let me just check the room as the same man cleaned it. I go in with her, check the bathroom, see engrained dirt and hair in the shower tray, I say look, she says oh, maybe a stain, I look at her with a look of disbelief, she says ill clean it, I move expecting her to go get some cleaning fluid....she bends down and starts scrapping it with her THUMB NAIL !!!, I couldn't get my breath. I just gave up, pushed passed, got my stuff, grabbed the cleaning fluid and cleaned the bloody room myself. Turned on the kettle, not working, turned on the tv, not working...went into the old room and just swopped them all over so the next person to go into the old dirty room can have the pleasure of complaining as id had enough. Even if your life depends on it, you'd be safer and cleaner sleeping outside than in here. Don't even think about coming here, its offensive and no one here seems to even know that filth is unacceptable, and its not cheap, £47 for a single room b+b each night. You do not want to stay in this germ ridden filthy hell hole, and don't eat here, as i'm sure whomever is cleaning the rooms, or not cleaning them !! is obviously also cooking the breakfast. Unacceptably filthy !!! Only good thing is the free parking permit and wifi !!

Room Tip: Don't choose one here...simple !!!! I only wish I could share photos to show you but Ive cleaned...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank 123mayhem

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I do not know where to start - the lack of cleanliness, attention to health and safety regulations, the lack of hygiene, poor quality food and drink (if you are brave enough to eat and drink what is on offer - luckily I carry my own coffee making equipment) and the general overall exceptionally poor standard of this hotel that I had the misfortune to book through Hotels.com. No one is there, apart from a maintenance man who,told me that he would not stay in this hotel. The stench from one room which I declined to use, was so bad that both he and I nearly passed out from the fumes when he opened the door. Rubbish is left around and the state of the kitchen needed to be seen to be believed. I am still recovering from the experience. Harrogate was full, hotel wise, due to an international conference and trade fairs, as I was unable to rebook anywhere else.

Room Tip: I was shown three rooms, and none of them were up to standard.
2  Thank Stella-Dot
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This b&b is good value for money. My single room was tidy, comfortable and well equipped; ensuite, tv with freeview and tea and coffee facilities. Included in the reasonable price was a full English breakfast of good quality. The b&b is a little tough around the edges but perfectly fine for the cheap price paid.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked in for 2 nights while working a health show with a few others .. We had very shabby rooms .. Friends had stale bread for breakfast .. And found toe nails on carpets They did not clean rooms or make beds on first night .. Bathroom has mildew and needed a really good clean .. Bed linen was old with well dated bed sheets and pillows .. When I complained the owner hung up on me at least 3 times .. When I reported them to Harrogate tourist offices I was informed of endless complaints .. The pictures on the web site must be years old .. I asked for a rebate as I had paid 90 pounds a night for a superior room and it was. to worth 25 pounds . I am sure health and safety will be paying them a visit along with other official officers. STAY AWAY

Room Tip: Do not stay here
4  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Booked room through Hotels.com, spoke to the booking agency to see if a later check-in would be ok as I was working all day and it would take 21/2 hours to get there. No problem was the answer after speaking to the person answering the phone. Out of politeness I contacted the hotel to say thank you. BIG MISTAKE!!!! The owner answered to tell me that there was no room available and despite having the confirmation in front of me, she did not want to know any details and PUT THE PHONE DOWN ON ME!!! What would she have done if I had turned up in the evening with know where else to go as Harrogate was full that weekend?????

Room Tip: Owner has the worst attitude ever!
Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank leopets
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed here on business for 3 nights with a colleague. Firstly let me say I don't know what the other reviewers are talking about, this 3 star hotel was a pleasure to stay in! As soon as we walked through the door my colleague was immediately told that he had an upgrade to a bigger room because the lady currently in the room he had booked had stunk the place out. I had no such luck though and was pointed in the general direction of my room. For the lucky owner of the upgraded room he was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by the 'maintenance man' who was busy plugging in a brand new spanking (in the early 90s) tv, which failed to work and was replaced by the original not so flashy tv, which if you turned up really loud was capable of drowning out the buzzing sound, anyway, all of the moving around of electrical equipment was unnecessary in the end as on the second night all power was lost to one side of the hotel. Now rather than the favoured and expensive method of calling an electrician the owner decided it was best and safest for the guests to install an intricate wiring system from the breakfast room up the stairs and into the rooms. Finally after explaining that it was more convenient to shower in an illuminated bathroom he was helpfully offered a lamp connected to yet another extension lead. Apart from this minor inconvenience everything else was fine, including dog hairs on the table cloths, radiators not working coupled with the paper thin windows this was particularly uncomfortable nights sleep in all my clothes. When they did bother to clean rooms the door to the super upgrade room was a left a jar, not even sure what they were doing in there as nothing was replenished, no hoovering done and beds were not made. They did however manage to take what was in my colleagues bin (a newspaper) and helpfully lay it back out for him, which was a nice touch. Finally on check out my colleague reluctantly asked for a discount on his room as 2 days without proper power and the chance of being fried in the shower looming over your head was a little irritating. Owners response 'But I gave you a big room' what use is a big room if there is not one redeeming feature in it!

Room Tip: Choose room 8, apparently there was a smelly woman staying there and she left her smell behind. Mmmm...
2  Thank Jack H
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was attending a wedding in Harrogate and booked in here last minute on the 31st August. I arrived at 2.30pm to check in and was informed that the room wasnt ready as there was a member of staff off sick. It happens, I wasnt bothered as we were still allowed to put our bags in the room and get a key for later. Upon leaving at 3pm I told the owner that the door didnt lock properly(we were in room 6 in the attic) and she said she would sort it out. This never happened and upon returning to the room quite late found that the door still didnt lock - a scary situation. I called the owner who was unhelpful. She gave us two options, stay and pay full price or leave for a full refund. As it was 2.30am and our options limited we stayed. We got woken up by "the maintenance guy" at 9am. The was only 1 towel provided so no showers. We left, let out a sigh of relief and swore never to return again.

Summary - no locking door, no help from the owner, poor service.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends