“Appalling value and poor service”
Review of Ashley House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrogate
Ashley House Hotel
Ranked #85 of 98 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I and my husband stayed on the night of 24th August 2013 and paid £75 for a double room. We were told that we could only book in between 2pm and 4pm, so not a good start, as we were attending a wedding. So we went to the wedding ceremony and then left the wedding venue to check in, to be told that we were too early to check in and come back, that was 1. 50pm. So we hung around outside the guest house, because that's what it is, never a hotel, and then called on the intercom at 2pm to be informed that she was not coming back until 3pm. Flabbergasted I disconnected. At this point there were three couples waiting to book in. One couple decided to have a walk around Harrogate, but ourselves and the 2nd couple had to check in. Therefore we contacted the owner/manager who sent the maintenance man round to let us in to our rooms. The man could not speak English so brought a young child with him to translate. We were given keys to our room and left to it. The room itself was hot and musty smelling, with a pokey shower. There were no towels, only one teacup and no tea bags. There was nobody to ask about late return and access to the guest house, so we had to figure this out ourselves, and hope that the external doors would be open when we arrived back, as there was not a key on the key ring that fitted the external door. The room itself was clean and the bed comfortable. Breakfast was truly bad. My poached egg lay in a pool of water and was over cooked, the sausage was so hard that my knife had difficulty cutting into it, and the bacon was hard, not crispy, but hard, and my impression was that the food had been prepared a significant time before and reheated. All in all a night to remember both for the happiness of a wedding and an appalling guest house stay.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara S
There are newer reviews for Ashley House Hotel

Reviewed August 12, 2013

It is disgusting. Very unclean and smelly. The owner was very pushy for payment and wouldn't let us eat our breakfast beforehand. She also tried to charge my friend and I £150 each for our 2 night stay for a double room. Good try love but you picked the wrong person. Don't recommend it at all. This was after booking the Azaela and being moved to the Ashley which was apparently upgrading. I dread to think what the Azaela was like.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Diane3gary
Reviewed July 22, 2013

To make it brief (as I am still recovering from the experience). I arrived during the heat wave to a furnace of an attic room minus decent sized windows. The radiator outside my bedroom was stuck on hot. The room was filthy dirty, smelly & roasting. The sink did not drain properly & the shower was mouldy and smelt stagnant. If I could've found somewhere else to stay I would have left immediately. However, the owner knows all the tricks and demands full payment upon arrival, without actually seeing your room! So your money is taken and you are stuck with it. Fortunately I had some bed linen in my car and used this to sleep on, as the establishments was stained. The nasty bedspread had all manner of stains on it and cigarette burns. How on earth the place hasn't been closed by the health inspectors amazes me.

Only plus point is the parking permits and fact that it is a 5 minute walk to the exhibition halls. There was a very sweet girl working at the place, who I am sure wishes she wasn't!

Room Tip: There aren't any! Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jacqui B
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I was working in harrogate recently and failed to book decent accomodation In time ... For 2 rooms and 3 nights this cost us £600 (negotiated down from £750) we were moved from the Ashley to a sister building the azalea court, I found food in my bed, rice and crisps, my colleagues bed didn't have a duvet or sheet, the room was seriously dated unclean and the service seriously unhelpful. This place was well situated in harrogate but at £100 per room per night MASSIVELY overpriced and I would recommend avoiding at all costs, pay less or even more but stay somewhere else ... Whoever they conned in to giving them a 3-star rating ... Well ... Wow

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank MattyB12061989
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had booked the Ruskin hotel but had to move to Ashley House as additional friends decided to come with us to the Great Yorkshire Show and the Ruskin was fully booked, all the arrangements including price were sorted by telephone 2 weeks before arriving.
The lady who welcomed us at reception (i think she is the owner and the person whom i had made the booking with) was rather distracted, the telephone ringing constantly, she was telephoning people, guests coming and going etc, we had to pay our bill BEFORE we were given keys, and she tried to charge us £100 per night, were as on the telephone we were quoted £85 which we expected to pay as it was show week, we had to stand firm and not pay the extra but she was pretty pushy. We asked what time was breakfast, 7.30 - 10.00 and no we could not have anything earlier, we needed to be at the show field for 7am each day, a bowl of cereal would have been nice, or leave out a toaster and we'll made our own toast, these were not an option.
The rooms were very tired, but were clean, however when we pulled back the duvet as it was such a hot day, there was a rip in the sheet, the shower tray was a disgrace, thick black wet mould on the edge and between the tiles in the most used places., there was soap and shampoo in a basket, the only thing going for it was there was plenty of hot water, on the first night (we stayed 3) there were only bat mats to dry ourselves....... very odd, and the 2nd night no towels at all, when we got the towels from the lady, she had them drying in the tumble dryer, i have to say they were dry but NOT clean, one had SKID MARKS on it.........We would have moved out after the first night but we had paid, and knew the chances of finding other rooms show week would have been impossible, so no breakfast, grotty shower, ripped sheet, soiled towels, and expensive...... we will not being staying there again.

Room Tip: don't book there.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rev and Dave K
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here for a night before a friends wedding. I was staying with three other friends and we each had a single room. Upon arrival there was no one at reception but a note instructed me to ring a telephone number for assistance. After a few minutes the owner arrived (along with a HUGE dog - more on this later). After a further 10 minutes and the owner repeatedly asking a young man to give me my key I was presented with a key to room 4.

The hotel appears to be three terraced houses knocked into one, as a result I was told to go to the third set of stairs and my room was in between the first and second floor. I struggled to open the door to my room, partly because of the odd lock and partly because the door handle was falling off the door! Once in my room (a small single) I decided to turn on the TV. The TV was showing only a still advert for some foot powder and I had the audio from ITV2. I followed the instructions provided to get the TV working but to no avail. As I would not be spending a lot of time in the hotel I did not pursue the issue of the TV.

After leaving the hotel and coming back in the evening with the other two guests we decided to compare rooms. To my surprise my room wasn't the smallest, a friend in room 8 had a smaller room (however, his TV did work!). After giving my friends a tour of my room they started to head downstairs back to their rooms. As they left my room they heard the dog barking and rather gingerly continued down the stairs; after getting part way down the dog started to run up the stairs. My friends quickly came back into my room and we shut the door. After some shouting by the owner the dog was tamed, meanwhile we were in my room in stitches laughing at the whole thing.

I got a decent nights sleep although the mattress was very soft (perhaps personal taste). In the morning we all went down to the dining room for breakfast, two of us ordered breakfast before the third guest arrived - there were about three other guests already in the dining room. We were told we were going to have poached eggs rather than fried because they were more healthy! Before our breakfast arrived our third guest arrived and ordered the same thing but with additional fried bread. When our meals eventually arrived (after about half an hour) they were fairly poor, the egg in particular was overdone. We finished our breakfast before the third one arrived and we found the fried bread he asked for with another guest!! The waiter struggled to understand English but eventually we got everything sorted.

The room was reasonably clean apart from what looked like masonry dust by the bedside table but the bathroom could have done with a bit of attention. Mould on the ceiling and the shower tray could have done with a deep clean.

All in all the hotel could do with some much needed attention but with the dog, strange breakfast and random TV it was a good laugh!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here from Good Friday to Easter Sunday. I booked it at quite short notice through Late Rooms. Like other reviewers I was actually due to stay at Aston House but received an email telling me I had been upgraded to Ashley House. I found the place easily, on entering I saw the notice telling me to ring a number for reception, which I did. The lady who appeared was very pleasant and I promptly paid and received my key. The door to my room was easy to open but I couldn't figure out how to lock it. As I left nothing of value in my room whilst not there and there only appeared to be one other couple staying there this didn't matter too much. The decor of the building was very pleasant, including in my room. What appeared to be a double bed was in fact two singles put together but as I was staying there on my own this also didn't matter. The bathroom contained fresh soap, shampoo, shower gel and there was a box of tissues on my table - all things I wasn't sure to expect as you don't always geth them in B&Bs / guest houses. The toilet was clean and there was plenty of loo roll. There were also two clean towels. Only one bedside light worked - I had to find the plug myself and switch it on - the other didn't have a buld. There were also one or two bulbs missing from the wall lights. The telephone had been disconnected - thankfully I had no occasion to use it as I had my mobile with me which also has alarm clock / radio facilities. The television was working fine, though I did have to fiddle with it a bit to find out how. The tea and coffee and biscuits in my room were very welcome. The room could perhaps have done with a lick of paint and the skirting boards re-glossed. It wasn't really a room with a view - outside I could see an old sign for the car park in which were dumped many things including a disgarded lavatory. I had been led to believe there was a bar at the 'hotel' - I did see a sign for this in the open door next to the dining room but there was no other sign of its existence. When I went down to breakfast next morning I was greeted by the same lady who had spoken to me on arrival. She asked me whether I would like tea or coffee and white or brown toast. My tea promptly came but the breakfast took longer though to be fair I was warned about this. When it did arrive it was perfectly edible, though I got beans which I hadn't asked for. There was plenty of fresh fruit juice and cereals - though why so much had been put out for so few guests did rather puzzle me. It was slightly confusing as to why the breakfast took so long to be cooked. I had anappointment at the Turkish Baths at 9am and though I was in time it would have been nice if breakfast could have arrived sooner. I would therefore have had time to visit the loo before I left the hotel and been spared some slight discomfort. When I returned to the hotel in the early evening my bed had been made and the room cleaned. There were fresh towels but the soap etc hadn't been renewed. I had enough left over however to last me another night. There was tea and coffee but no milk and fewer biscuits. I made do with a black cup of tea. At breakfast next day a man served me - he offered me tea and toast which I accepted. I got white toast with the tea - I hadn't been asked whether I wanted white or brown. I wasn't actually offered a cooked breakfast but asked for one and it promptly came - this time there was more bacon and sausage but again beans which I hadn't asked for. I think the place may have fallen on hard times but all in all my stay wasn't too bad.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo