“Good comedy value”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Ashley House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harrogate
Ashley House Hotel
Ranked #88 of 100 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Lancaster
“Good comedy value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed here for a night before a friends wedding. I was staying with three other friends and we each had a single room. Upon arrival there was no one at reception but a note instructed me to ring a telephone number for assistance. After a few minutes the owner arrived (along with a HUGE dog - more on this later). After a further 10 minutes and the owner repeatedly asking a young man to give me my key I was presented with a key to room 4.

The hotel appears to be three terraced houses knocked into one, as a result I was told to go to the third set of stairs and my room was in between the first and second floor. I struggled to open the door to my room, partly because of the odd lock and partly because the door handle was falling off the door! Once in my room (a small single) I decided to turn on the TV. The TV was showing only a still advert for some foot powder and I had the audio from ITV2. I followed the instructions provided to get the TV working but to no avail. As I would not be spending a lot of time in the hotel I did not pursue the issue of the TV.

After leaving the hotel and coming back in the evening with the other two guests we decided to compare rooms. To my surprise my room wasn't the smallest, a friend in room 8 had a smaller room (however, his TV did work!). After giving my friends a tour of my room they started to head downstairs back to their rooms. As they left my room they heard the dog barking and rather gingerly continued down the stairs; after getting part way down the dog started to run up the stairs. My friends quickly came back into my room and we shut the door. After some shouting by the owner the dog was tamed, meanwhile we were in my room in stitches laughing at the whole thing.

I got a decent nights sleep although the mattress was very soft (perhaps personal taste). In the morning we all went down to the dining room for breakfast, two of us ordered breakfast before the third guest arrived - there were about three other guests already in the dining room. We were told we were going to have poached eggs rather than fried because they were more healthy! Before our breakfast arrived our third guest arrived and ordered the same thing but with additional fried bread. When our meals eventually arrived (after about half an hour) they were fairly poor, the egg in particular was overdone. We finished our breakfast before the third one arrived and we found the fried bread he asked for with another guest!! The waiter struggled to understand English but eventually we got everything sorted.

The room was reasonably clean apart from what looked like masonry dust by the bedside table but the bathroom could have done with a bit of attention. Mould on the ceiling and the shower tray could have done with a deep clean.

All in all the hotel could do with some much needed attention but with the dog, strange breakfast and random TV it was a good laugh!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Malton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

I stayed here from Good Friday to Easter Sunday. I booked it at quite short notice through Late Rooms. Like other reviewers I was actually due to stay at Aston House but received an email telling me I had been upgraded to Ashley House. I found the place easily, on entering I saw the notice telling me to ring a number for reception, which I did. The lady who appeared was very pleasant and I promptly paid and received my key. The door to my room was easy to open but I couldn't figure out how to lock it. As I left nothing of value in my room whilst not there and there only appeared to be one other couple staying there this didn't matter too much. The decor of the building was very pleasant, including in my room. What appeared to be a double bed was in fact two singles put together but as I was staying there on my own this also didn't matter. The bathroom contained fresh soap, shampoo, shower gel and there was a box of tissues on my table - all things I wasn't sure to expect as you don't always geth them in B&Bs / guest houses. The toilet was clean and there was plenty of loo roll. There were also two clean towels. Only one bedside light worked - I had to find the plug myself and switch it on - the other didn't have a buld. There were also one or two bulbs missing from the wall lights. The telephone had been disconnected - thankfully I had no occasion to use it as I had my mobile with me which also has alarm clock / radio facilities. The television was working fine, though I did have to fiddle with it a bit to find out how. The tea and coffee and biscuits in my room were very welcome. The room could perhaps have done with a lick of paint and the skirting boards re-glossed. It wasn't really a room with a view - outside I could see an old sign for the car park in which were dumped many things including a disgarded lavatory. I had been led to believe there was a bar at the 'hotel' - I did see a sign for this in the open door next to the dining room but there was no other sign of its existence. When I went down to breakfast next morning I was greeted by the same lady who had spoken to me on arrival. She asked me whether I would like tea or coffee and white or brown toast. My tea promptly came but the breakfast took longer though to be fair I was warned about this. When it did arrive it was perfectly edible, though I got beans which I hadn't asked for. There was plenty of fresh fruit juice and cereals - though why so much had been put out for so few guests did rather puzzle me. It was slightly confusing as to why the breakfast took so long to be cooked. I had anappointment at the Turkish Baths at 9am and though I was in time it would have been nice if breakfast could have arrived sooner. I would therefore have had time to visit the loo before I left the hotel and been spared some slight discomfort. When I returned to the hotel in the early evening my bed had been made and the room cleaned. There were fresh towels but the soap etc hadn't been renewed. I had enough left over however to last me another night. There was tea and coffee but no milk and fewer biscuits. I made do with a black cup of tea. At breakfast next day a man served me - he offered me tea and toast which I accepted. I got white toast with the tea - I hadn't been asked whether I wanted white or brown. I wasn't actually offered a cooked breakfast but asked for one and it promptly came - this time there was more bacon and sausage but again beans which I hadn't asked for. I think the place may have fallen on hard times but all in all my stay wasn't too bad.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for one night in March 2013 when i was attending a conference in Harrogate (originally i had booked a room in Azalea hotel but was eventually transferred to the Ashley). Everything looked charming until i set my foot in the room. The bed clearly had not been made up, some thrash left on the table, opened and used soap in the bathroom. It was clear that the room had not been cleaned after the departure of the previous guest. Even though i felt repulsed i decided to give the hotel the benefit of the doubt since i was allowed to check in one hour earlier than the appointed time, hoping that the room would be cleaned by the time i came back in the evening. Unfortunately, no such thing had happened and when i returned i found the room in the same condition.Since there was no one at the reception desk my colleague (who was staying in the same hotel) called the owner who first requested to be informed over the phone what is the issue before she decided to come and talk to us in person. Next i was given the key to another room but imagine my surprise when the second room had not been cleaned as well!!! Luckily, in the end the owner managed to successfully locate a room which was in a proper condition and where i could spend the night. The room was acceptable, the bed was comfortable and with clean sheets, the bathroom was pleasant although the shower could use some additional cleaning. In the morning, the coffee that was served for breakfast was so diluted that it looked like tea ( i did not dare taste it!). However, upon request proper coffee was prepared.As mentioned in the previous reviews, the English breakfast took 30 minutes to be cooked and yet half it was cold.
Long story short, i am not planning to return to this hotel since the service offered there was overpriced and extremely disappointing!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank n2013

Travelers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

The hotel is situated in a nice street filled with nice B&B's and hotels. Unfortunately, we stayed in probably one of the worst hotels in Yorkshire, let alone Harrogate. Our stay was for one night, thank god! The hotel is very dated, untidy and in need of a lot of repairs. The reception area is a tiny little box, that had keys just left hanging around, and no staff. We waited 10 minutes before anyone turned up to give us our keys. On the way upto our room I noticed that doors/handles on other rooms seemed broken or had damages. Our room itself had a door lock that would not lock? A television that did not work, and a double bed which was in fact two single beds pushed together! In the bathroom was a piece of soap that had obviously been used in the past, and hairs (not just one) that looked like they had been sprinkled in the shower. The breakfast in the morning was a shambles, with a waiter who could not speak or understand English properly, and then we received our food cold, which is fine if you want Corn Flakes instead of a cooked breakfast! I suggest not to ruin your trip to Harrogate by staying here, they are much nicer B&B's and Hotels in the same street, and probably the same price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed at Ashley House for 1 night in Aug 2012.
Have to say at £75.00 it was not good value, other than its location!!
The bed was clean and comfy, the toilet and sink were also clean, although the shower could have done with a good scrub!!
Room very dated and tired, carpet worn, wallpaper patched up in places.
All this was kind of acceptable until we went down off breakfast the next morning.
OMG! We arrived at the breakfast room at 9am. Firstly there was nobody ther to greet us. After about 5 mins of waiting a young girl came out and told us where to sit. This was on the same table as 2 other couples (awkward). The table hadn't been cleared from the last diners. Plates, food and tea cups were left there until the waitress appeared. Even then we had to ask her to clear the table for us! She put all the dirty plates on a high chair behind us, she then picked up a used cereal bowl from another table, along with my wife's unused napkin to wipe the crumbs and food off the table cloth! At this point she hadn't even spoken to us to say hello, good morning or would you like a drink? We asked for a drink and was told to help ourselves. There was no coffee or juices available, nor were there any clean bowls for cereal. We ordered tea and received it by 9.20. At this point the other guests were laughing and joking about how long they had been waiting. There was a man on the next table to us who had been waiting for around 40 mins for a full English. He asked the waitress why other people were being served before he was although he'd been waiting longer? The answer from the waitress was that he had ordered poached egg, where as the others had ordered fried! The chef will cook all the same orders together regardless who was first. This helped cause a lot of unavailble tables, next to us a lady had finished her breakfast, whilst her husband hadn't yet received his. We finally received our breakfast at 9.53 and yes it was cold. We ordered fresh Tom, with no Sausage. We got Sausage with no Tom!! At this point we had to laugh, because everyone in the breakfast room was just joking about how bad the service was.
I have said in previous reviews that I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. On this occasion £75.00 is way way too high!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed at this Hotel with my wife as I was attending a wedding nearby. The first thing I noticed was that it was fairly awkward and complicated to unlock my room door. I noticed that the people in the adjacent room were having the same problem. The room its self was dated and the staff had given up trying to paint the room and had half the wall bare. There was a poor effort at filling a hole on another wall. The bathroom was small and carpeted for some reason with a dank smell. The shower was dirty, but I didn't use this at any point. The bathroom itself was very small and I couldn't really sit on the toilet with the room door shut. There was also small spec of feces left in the toilet to greet me and the cold tap ran hot water. My room door had to be locked from the inside (which wasn't explained to me) and my bedroom window wouldn't shut. I went to reception for assistance and there was nobody manning the desk. Eventually somebody tuned up. When I asked for assistance the woman and rolled their eyes before making a half baked effort to try and explain to me how the lock worked. She did, however, eventually reluctantly agree to show me how to lock my door and shut my window for me after giving me s sarcastic look. Although the service at breakfast was quite good, the actually meal wasn't enough and seemed undercooked and cold. I'd also like to mention that the room my in-laws stayed in looked like the door had been kicked down. I have also noticed that other people have mentioned this when reviewing this hotel. Very disappointed. Poor value for money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Matt69Leeds
Yoko B, Manager at Ashley House Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
I am sorry to hear that you felt that way. You stayed in room 21 and we do have guests in this room just day before but there was no complain that its that difficult to open the door. Yes all the doors are lockable from inside and we show you how to do it. The shower and toilet are not that small and we didn't get any complain till now for it. I do apologies that you find our joke sarcastic about your window. We are always there to help but as we are guest house we don't have person staying on the reception all day and we do have other regular duties in our office which is just behind the door, you just need to ring the bell for attention. breakfast is always freshly cooked after your order and its serve to you in very hot plate, so i cant except that breakfast was cold as it is not possible. If it was not enough we are always happy to serve you more and we always ask if our guests need something else. And yes we are not four star hotel we are B&B with four star accommodation.I am really sorry one more time that you felt that way.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Booked Azalea hotel but was transferred to the Ashley Court Hotel so that several family bookings could be together. Yes the hotel is a little dated BUT it was clean and comfortable,the staff were very pleasant and the breakfast was very nice,could of had a later one if we had wanted. The bed was very comfortable and the quiet location meant a good nights sleep. Didn't even hear a certain family member whose snoring is legend. Close to town centre,a good choice for an overnight stay,in fact this is a second visit for one of us. Would stay again even though the cold tap stopped working as we were about to leave ( I'm sure it's a temporary glitch due to the time of day).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
ashleyliving, Manager at Ashley House Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you very much for the positive comments. Its always encouraging when customers acknowledge the hard work of our team as its what we aim for. We look forward to seeing you again soon.