“New Years Eve Gala Event”

Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Middlesbrough
“New Years Eve Gala Event”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Enjoyed an absolutely outstanding New Year Gala at the Cedar Court, I have stayed at this Hotel previously, but this certainly beat any previous experience that I have had, the staff, accommodation, food and entertainment were first class, the table service was highly efficient many thanks to Pete Dyble for his attention to detail, if you want somewhere special to enjoy your New Year festivities I can certainly recommend this Hotel. Many thanks again for an outstanding evening. The Management should be proud as all of the staff are a credit to the organisation Colin S.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Stayed early December as part of a Great Rail Journeys short break. Found the hotel to be very well run, with friendly, unstuffy, efficient staff. Was pleasantly surprised to have a lovely room overlooking the Stray and front garden fountain (not always the case on organised breaks!). Comfy beds, good bathroom, nice and warm - in fact the whole hotel was very well heated. Breakfast was excellent, especially enjoyable on the mornings we were served in the magnificent Rowan Suite. Dinners were good, especially the starters and desserts - the main courses were spoiled a bit by the same mix of vegetables every evening, no matter what the meal (parsnip with salmon?), but quality was good, and portions generous. Drinks, as you would expect were expensive, but very enjoyalble in a pleasant bar area. Although a bit of a walk into the town centre, Cedar Court is now our hotel of choice in Harrogate - excellent car parking facilities.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

Although historic looking from the outside Cedar Court in Harrogate is comfortable and modernized inside. My room had a gigantic bath tub, comfortable bed and a lovely view to the Stray, a grassy parkland out front. Breakfast is your choice of FUll English or just toast and tea and everything in between. Lunch served all day, Dinner in several different dining rooms. Special requests are quickly accommodated such as Tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich in my room on the first evening helped my jet lag.
Elevators were central to the lobby and quick access to your room. No miles of corridor marching like in some larger hotels. Choose Cedar Court for yourself or a group. I have also stayed in the smaller B & B s in H'gate which can be nice but if you want the special treatment stay at CedarCourt. You can walk to town including the rail station easily or reception will call you a taxi. 20 minute drive by cab (£27) from Leeds Bradford airport. Thirty minutes by train to brilliant York.

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a two night stay 27th to 29th December 2013. Hotel generally was good. Pleasant surroundings and food was good.
Only complaint was the room 312. It was freezing! After complaining on the first night we were told to ensure the heating was on.......and then that there were no heaters available for us to have. To was advertised I the hotel info I the room...heaters are available upon request. Travelling with my 79year old Mum I hoped the staff would do better but........ Complained again on the second day and at the evening meal the restaurant manager told us that a heater had been out in to our room approx 8pm.
Upon return to the bedroom the heater was there. I am pleased that I turned this off when we went to bed as I discovered the plug was loose and the plug was red hot to the touch! However, at least someone had tried to rectify the problem.
I would return to the hotel as overall a pleasant stay, but please consider how efficient your heating system is as in the depths of winter I can only imagine!
I have used many a Best Western before and not had any heating issues.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Nelson, UK
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed two nights as part of a group between Christmas and New Year. Large comfortable room but thin walls. Meals were excellent - breakfast comprised hot and cold buffet which was varied and well stocked - dinner was top quality food in large portions. The staff were excellent in all departments. The hotel has a relaxed atmosphere in the bar and lounge and is In a pleasant open location within easy walking distance of the town centre.

Evesham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights over Christmas. On arrival, first impression of the building very good, but that soon disappeared on approaching the checking-in desk! The young lady on duty did not seem to have any interest in her guests and just seemed to go through the motion. We were asked to fill a form with all our details, but when I said that surely the hotel had our details from our reservation, then we were told to just write our post-code and car details.

As a 4 star hotel, I would have expected at least to be asked if we needed help with our luggage and not just given directions to our room! 215. Again, first impression of the room was very good; but on closer inspection we soon discovered that you could not open or move the net curtains, (a shame considering the large bay window and the view over the front of the hotel!), and the only draws available, were 2 very small as part of the bed-side cabinets and the other under the writing desk. Coupled with the fact that the shelf inside the wardrobe had not been cleaned for a long time and bearing in mind that we had paid for a superior room! - I then went down to reception and asked to see the duty manager. Once I explained the problem, Scott the deputy manager, did offer us a more spacious room, although it was over-looking the rear car park! 208.

Dinner, well what can I say!.... it was a complete disaster. First of all, we were told by the young lady when taking our order, (not when we were given the menu'), that the Pie was not available any more, both our first choice as the rest of the menu was quite boring!

Both our starters were poor, the Black Pudding and Bacon dish looked as if someone had collected it from the breakfast buffet and the Lobster and Chicken Mousse was absolute tasteless. Things did not improve with the main courses, The only thing that I can say about my wife's Vegetarian Wellington is that: whoever allowed this dish to leave the kitchen, should be embarrassed! My fillet of Salmon was just passable, but again very bland.
But the best was left for last!... My Tart Tatin, (yes did say tart tatin on the menu!), it was a joke. The pastry was soggy and uncooked, the apples had not been peeled and completely uncooked and the ice cream, well...I could not put my observation on print!..

My only question to both the Head Chef and General Manager at the hotel, would be: does anyone check or even better taste the food, before is taken out of your kitchen and put in front of your paying guests?!

I am pleased to say that both our Christmas and Boxing Day lunch, were quite good, (especially on Christmas day!), and breakfast + Afternoon Tea, (or arrival), in general were OK .

Although, we made our comment quite clear to both the Food and Beverage Manager, (Amy), and the Deputy Manager (Scott), neither took any action in regards to our complains, which was in our opinion, very disappointing to say the least!

I would very much appreciate the hotel's General Manager comments.

The saving grace for this hotel, in my opinion, are the young staff in the Restaurant, Bar and some of the Receptionists. They are smart and with a very pleasant approach to their job and their customers. WELL DONE!

2 Thank italian186422
Driffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Fab stay on Christmas Eve in Harrogate, a little treat to stop over when visiting friends for Christmas. Our room was beautifully decorated, the bed was so comfy and the bathroom was very clean with an excellent shower. Christmas morning breakfast was really good, plenty to choose from hot, cold, buffet etc with as much as you wanted to eat. All the staff were really pleasant too, especially the lady on the reception desk. Would really recommend this hotel to anybody visiting Harrogate. Lovely touch too as we sat eating breakfast overlooking the Stray to see Santa out for a morning run with his dog!!!

Room Tip: A room at the front overlooking the Stray.