“Harrogate's finest, by far !!!”

Best Western Plus Cedar Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Lincolnshire
“Harrogate's finest, by far !!!”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I have stayed in the majority of the Harrogate hotels on business and pleasure, and I have to say that I am not impressed with any of them until I came across the Cedar Court !!! I have never understood why large corporate Hotel Receptionists are so aloof, but not here, the two ladies on reception that I encountered on check in and out where a credit to the Hotel and service industry in general, Tina and Lucy where so welcoming and proffessional, exactly how the first and last impression of a Hotel should be.The room was comfortable, cool and recently refurbished which looked over the front gardens which was more than peaceful. Breakfast was a real treat, a full English well presented and perfectly cooked.

Overall, by far the best hotel in Harrogate (including Rudding Park), with the most friendly staff that I have come across, I will definately be back soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Rooms
Average rooms really, a little tired. The hotel is huge so I don't imagine a complete renovation any time soon which is a shame. The beds weren't the most comfortable and unfortunately, we didn't sleep very well. This was mainly due to the heat, which was odd because it was only about 14deg outside. Our standard room had a decent enough en suite, double bed, and a large TV with all of the usual 'hotel' bits and pieces such as hair dryer, tea and coffee etc. What I liked was that if needed, you were given complimentary products such as toothbrushes, razors etc.

Breakfast
Yum! Very high quality breakfast buffet. From fresh yoghurt to the full English. And the staff were wonderful. They even offered to cook me an egg as they had run out, and this was after the breakfast time slot had finished. The room was set up very grand and really made a good start to our morning.

Staff
All but one were really lovely. The girls on the reception were fab and do a great job

Location
No complaints here! A ten minute walk into town amongst the lovely buildings of harrogate. Our room also looked onto the Stray which was nice.

I would recommend this hotel. Myself and my fiancé went for a short break and really enjoyed it.

Carnforth
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights to celebrate our Anniversary, this is our 2nd stay here as we were very impressed with the Hotel last year and the free car parking to the front and rear Is a very big plus. It's a very beautiful old building and the interior, especially the breakfast rooms are very ornate. We booked an executive room again overlooking the "stray" and this time got one that had been re-decorated (319) and were very impressed with the new decor. We knew with the heat at the moment and no air con in the rooms that it would be very warm so I took a fan which came in very handy, although the hotel itself does have a limited supply. The staff are very friendly and helpful and I would like to give a special mention to Chris, he remembered us from last year and we enjoyed catching up and having a bit of "banter".
The walk into Harrogate takes 10 mins and it's a lovely town to stroll around and have afternoon tea at Betty's. The rail links to York and Leeds are excellent, this year we went to Leeds for the day, only £15.90 return for us both, and had a great day walking around the City and doing some retail therapy.
The breakfast at the hotel is very good with all the usual choice of fruit, yoghurt, bacon eggs etc. We did not eat in the hotel at night but the menu looked very good and people we spoke to said it was all delicious.
We will definitely be going back again .

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the "stray".
Surbiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Stayed at the Best Western Cedar Court Hotel recently on a weekend visit to Harrogate. Hotel offers a good central location with the all important off-road parking!

Booked through Trivago which knocked about £60 off their standard price making it much more reasonable. Personally I would have looked elsewhere f I hadn't been able to secure this discount. That said the hotel suited my friend and I who just needed a bed for the night.

Not really any bells and whistles to speak of but we found our room comfortable and clean. You could even open the windows in our room which I've started to find is becoming a rarity at hotels nowadays. Breakfast was served in a buffet style and provided a good selection of hot and cold offerings. However I would only have breakfast at the hotel if it's included in your booking otherwise you'll be paying out just under £15 per person which I feel is a bit steep for what you get.

The only real negatives were that there there was a wedding reception taking place and photos were being taken outside the front door when we arrived which made us feel a little as if we were intruding. Secondly they could really do with updating their rooms somewhat because the decor is starting looked rather retro, not in the good way.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Very welcoming, great service, great rooms and great breakfast. We stayed as a family of five in two interconnecting rooms. We thoroughly enjoyed our overnight stay.
When we got home we realised that one of my sons had left his beloved cuddly monkey in his hotel bed. Monkey has travelled with us for six years and my son was distraught. I rang the hotel and within two days monkey was back home. I cannot commend the staff of this hotel enough, they were attentive and above all caring - which relating to other recent hotel stays is rare!

• Stayed August 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Went to Harrogate the hotel was really nice and relaxing really nice room and clean and tidy. The food was well served and well organised by the staff and notrhing was too much trouble for them.
But at night after a long days travel and arrived at the hotel I wanted a shower and when it was switched on it was freezing cold water.
No directions or water temperature dial on it it was just chrome with a chrome push button in which was pressed several times but still run cold..
The building was originally the Queens Hotel and dates back to the 1600's but the shower was out dated and could see this was 25-30 years old.
On our trip there was some disabled and elderly people in a group of 50 and they all complained as the bath was high for them to step over into the shower and so many said at breakfast like me they could not shower as it was too dangerous to use!
Breakfast next morning I spoke to the receptionist who told me that to get the hot water I had to depress the button on the shower.
Thankyou but it still did not work. She was no help at all!
Tried again next morning and spoke to another receptionist and told she would get in a fitter that day!
When I arrived back that evening I tried the shower luckily I did not stand directly underneath it because it was scalding hot and would not turn it down.It was too dangerous to use this.
All showerrs should have temperasture controls clearly this would not have met the British Safety Council for 2013,
So you could not regulate it at all.
When I got back home I wrote to the Hotel Management who replied that a member of staff should have shown me how to use it.
I am not daft and could see perfectly well how to use this and found that comment useless really. Would he use this, I wonder?
The whole bath and shower needs replacing these modern times if anyone fell down in the bathroom or got burnt and in the room alone they would just lie there on the floor.
It is a pity because the hotel I found really good, and a good service but this spoilt my holiday without a proper functional shower!
I would come back when the showers are replaced and the only time, This spolit our holiday completely as the heat was over 30c outside and need a good shower.
I spent only a week there but found this long enough stay there! The rooms was noisy with guests arriving to their rooms late at night and leaving early morning and all the way down the corridors there was a loud banging of doors. The doors are all fitted with good locks and if you pull the door shut so the lock clicks it will shut and does not need to banged shut at all,All the doors was really good, so why do people have to bang shut the hotel doors each time it is so annoying and distrurbs other guests some are sleeping no thought at all for other guests in the hotel! The staff service was excellent though and food superb which made up for the rooms really!

Room Tip: Check the shower first before accepting the room as all the rooms are the same with the same type of...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights. Check in was quite quick. When we got to our room we noticed we were right above the air conditioning units and because it was hot we needed the window open. On asking if we could move rooms to a quieter location we were told the noise would stop when the restaurant closed. The noise did not stop until 3am. Also all rooms are supposed to have free wifi access. Ours didn't and a call to Swisscom, the provider, didn't help. We must be in a blind spot was what we were told.. Next day we again asked for a move and the very helpful lady on reception said she would find us another room. We packed our bags and the hotel staff moved them whilst we were out. The new room was larger and away from the noise. The beds were comfortable and the shower powerful.
Breakfast in the hotel was excellent with the best selection of fresh fruit I have ever seen-strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, melon included. The hot food included bacon, two types of sausage, black pudding, fried or scrambled eggs, tomato and baked beans. Also pastries and muffins and cereals.
On the first night we had dinner at a pub along the road called the Swan on the Stray.Can highly recommend the Steak and Ale pie. Turn left out of the hotel and continue straight along the road. Less than 10mins walk. Pub on other side of road.

Room Tip: Stay away fro the generators at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family