“Felt too young to stay here!”
Review of Cairn Hotel

Cairn Hotel
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
“Felt too young to stay here!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at The Cairn Hotel as part of my husband's office Christmas party. We had been expecting to stay at The Swan in Harrogate as we had the previous year but, unfortunately, it had been fully booked.
The Cairn is a huge hotel and, as such, is perfect for coach parties. This means that a large proportion of it's guests are elderly and, although my hubby and I are in our forties, we felt a little out of place at times.
In it's heyday it would have been a luxurious and grand place to stay but, these days, it is starting to look a little tired. Having said that it is still an impressive hotel. There are just several places where the wallpaper is starting to peel off or paintwork is very scuffed.
We arrived early as we were going to Wetherby races and were able to check in at just after 10am, which is far earlier than most hotels allow. However, we were given no information about breakfast times, or where it was served, nor were we offered a Sunday newspaper, which I didn't realise until I saw them outside several rooms next morning. Clearly a different receptionist had checked them in!
We were pleasantly surprised by our room; it was larger than average, very clean and the bed was comfortable. Some of our colleagues who were staying had complained to us that their room was cold, but we were warm enough. The only negative were the wires coming out of the bottom of the towel rail in the bathroom.
We had been due to eat out that evening, but decided to have a bar meal in the hotel instead. The food was very reasonably priced and my macaroni cheese was delicious. Ordering my husband's steak was less easy. He has a garlic allergy and the steak came with 'sauces'. I have no problem with bar staff of any nationality, but can hotels please make sure they understand English! After several minutes of trying to establish what the 'sauces' were, I decided in exasperation it was safer to opt for no sauces. I will never know what they were! What was more amusing, was the feeling of being interrogated when asking for a lemonade. "You want ice?!", "You want lemon.," I was almost too afraid to say no.
Breakfast was served (when we found it!) in a stunning room, full of pillars and lavishly decorated. Juices, cereal and fruit were self service and tea/coffee and toast were served to the table. The cooked breakfasts were served from a hot servery at one side of the room. The two servers had clearly been told to keep the queues down and virtually threw the food onto your plate. Everything was tasty and well cooked, although portions tended to be on the small side.
Although The Cairn wouldn't be my first choice of hotel to stay at in Harrogate, I wouldn't have a problem with staying there again if choice was limited. It would have been nicer to feel a little more welcome. I can't say that any member of staff we dealt with made us feel particularly welcome.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for writing a review. I am so disappointed to read that you did not have a good stay with us. I have taken on board your comments and passed on the details to the relevant departments and heads of those departments.Thank you for letting us know the issues that you encountered, I do hope that you will come and stay with us again and hopefully those problems will not occur again.
Happy new year
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
  • Thai first
Bedale
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We attended a Christmas Dinner and Dance here and stayed for one night. The staff were excellent, very helpful in ensuring that the function went smoothly. The food was very good and arrived hot at the table which was an achievement as there was also another large function taking place at the same time. All credit to the Chef and his staff for coping with the numbers. The room was comfortable and well appointed. There is a programme of refurbishment underway which in no way impacted upon our stay. I look forward to returning when the work has been completed.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am so happy you had a good time at one of our christmas parties.
We have lots of new events on during 2014 including tribute nights, big band nights and murder mystery weekends, maybe you would like to join us for another great evening of food, fun and entertainment. Please let us know if you would like some information sending out to you for anymore events.
Hopefully see you again in 2014.
Happy new year
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Booked this for a weekend trip to Harrogate for a family party in town. Got a great deal on the room. The hotel is very traditional and a little bit tired. The room was basic but very comfortable and clean. Breakfast was included in the rate and was very nice. The service was great and the buffet selection was vast. Great location which is just a five minute walk to the centre and Betty's etc. Free parking fills up quite quickly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pkindee2013
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.
It is lovely to read that you had an enjoyable weekend with us and we hope you will be back again in 2014.
Happy christmas to you and your family from everyone at the Cairn Hotel.
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I've stayed at the Cairn 3 times this year and have not been disappointed in any way. The hotel mixes modernity in the rooms with an old world charm found in this type of hotel - a mix I find really attractive. It suits the Harrogate environment (and I have lived in Harrogate for 10 years up to fairly recently so know the place well). I always look forward to going down in a morning to that huge dining room and enjoying a full English sat in one of the old stone bay windows. The staff are friendly and helpful and I find the prices charged reasonable in what can be quite an expensive town to stay in. I intend returning early in the New Year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review.
We look forward to seeing you again in the new year and we will ensure you get your favourite table for breakfast!!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from everyone at The Cairn.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Despite its nice settings, the Christmas menu, which is £24 for a three course, mince pie and coffee was somewhat below its standard, it reminds me back to our school meals during the 70/80s. All food/sauces are all thrown in one plate instead of separating them. Some of my guests don't like some vegs and some sauces. The menu is so limited, only turkey, gammon, salmon and nut roast of whom I find it disappointing. If George Ramsey sees this, he'll definitely scream! Come on, for that price, pull your socks up.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review.
I was very disappointed to read that you were not happy with the Christmas party night that you attended at the hotel.
Our party night prices are very competitive at £23.95 for a 3-course dinner (with 4 choices of each course) coffee, mince pies and disco till 12.30am and we are one of the lowest priced in Harrogate Town.
All of our guests are asked to pre order their meals and the menu is displayed in the booking brochure and again on the pre order forms that are sent. This menu includes which sauces you receive with each main course and a list of the potatoes and vegetables. Should your guests have required these to be separate or omit an item we are happy to do so and many of guests have done just this.
I do hope you will attend another event at the hotel in the future and we look forward to see you all again.
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here with two friends for two nights to visit Harrogate and the Xmas market. We were met by a welcoming receptionist and indeed over the weekend all the staff we met were friendly and efficient. The room we had was on the 3rd floor and very comfortable and well decorated. We were at the back of the hotel so we did not have any road noise but did have some noise from the plumbing. The room was well decorated and warm and we had plenty of toiletries in the bathroom and tea/coffee facilities. We did find the shower difficult to keep at an even temperature but this was not a major problem. The breakfast selection was good and well cooked and on the evenings we ate bar meals which were also very good. The service at the restaurant and bar was fast and efficient. The hotel is within walking distance into the centre of Harrogate but this is a very hilly town so wear comfortable walking shoes. We would stay here again when in Harrogate.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel do not have any road traffic noise.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Woody067
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We do hope you will be back to see us again soon and we wish you a very merry christmas and a happy new year.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2013

On the 15th November my Husband and I travelled to the Cairn Hotel in Harrogate to meet up with 15 other friends, also booked at the hotel, staying for two nights.
From the outside, the hotel is admittedly impressive and so was the entrance foyer. There is a large free car park and it is within easy walking distance of the wonderful town of Harrogate.
Sadly, there the positives stop! The mixture of unmatched carpet throughout the building is desperately in need of replacement and threadbare in places, particularly on the staircases.
The general decor is extremely tired with wallpaper and borders peeling off, water stains on the ceilings and paint badly flaking.
There is also inconsistency in the room prices you pay.
DO NOT STAY IN ROOM 351! There is a nasty looking large stain on the ceiling, wallpaper peeling off and the ceiling paint badly peeling (see photos below). If you are also hoping for a good nights sleep, you won't get it with a pump going off every 90 seconds.
I wrote to Customer Services of Strathmore Hotels, who run the Cairn, and to date have still not received the courtesy of a response to the photos I sent and comments I made.
Needless to say the bedroom shown on their website certainly was nothing like the one we had.
I would not, nor do I, have damp patches, peeling paint and wallpaper in my own home so certainly do not expect to see it in a hotel bedroom where I am being charged.
Need I say more!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sharen G
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am very sorry to read that you were not happy with your recent stay at the hotel and that you were disappointed with your room.
The hotel is currently undergoing an extensive refurbishment and a ‘mood board’ is available for all our guests to see in the lounge. This documents the progress we are making and our future plans.
I do believe our head office has been in contact with you over several emails and I sincerely hope you are satisfied with the outcome of your complaint.
I hope you will come and visit us again next year and I am sure you will be very happy with the changes you will see.