“Tired rooms/decor and very tired guests!”
Review of Cairn Hotel

Cairn Hotel
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

After staying at the hotel overnight I was a little disappointed at how tired the decor is. We were in room 342 on the top floor. The room itself I would say was a poor guest house room. There was no view, the bathroom was worn. The toilet wouldn't flush properly and we were very disappointed to say the least.

Our nights stay was constantly interrupted due to no sound proofing. We could hear noise from the floor below which kept us awake for most of the night.

In the morning the breakfast was excellent. The staff were so very helpful and attentive, although a smile wouldn't go a miss!

• Stayed: August 2013
Gaynor M, General Manager at Cairn Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
I was very disappointed to read that you were not happy with your room and that the guests below you, kept you awake. Please accept my sincere apologies that this happened.
Thank you for your kind words regarding the helpful staff and excellent breakfast.
We hope you visit us again.
Kind regards

Write a ReviewReviews (1,495)

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Lets deal with points made by other guests; the placed is "tired".
It is an old building, buildings, indeed anything at all seldom looks better than when new. This place has a delightful interior with a patina of use. It is clean where is needs to look good and clean where it matters.The only hope that I would have is that the gloss paintwork is properly refurbished, for in places it looks as if it were applied by a palette knife.
Would any of this stop me returning; NO

The staff were very professional , efficient and polite. Would that encourage me to return; YES.

Our room was not without snags; a light not working, toilet roll holder unclipped, side plate hanging off a radiator. But the furniture looked good and the beds were very comfortable.Linen was immaculate( wife was a laundry professional). The TV was a bit basic, 4 channels only.
Did we like the room; YES.But, I might agree to the potential for the room to be stuffy when warm. It was quiet at the back of the hotel.

The best last; food.We found the menu had great choice of popular food for British tastes.Breakfast had the usual array, but of quality ingredients.Plus, unlimited supply.
Dinner also reflected quality . No frozen peas were served at all. All veg was fresh , properly cooked and tasty.Meats, carved by chef , were high quality, generous moist tender slices.Alway a vegetarian choice and a fish dish too.
Will this make us return; YOU BET!

Finally, we were with a coach party. Sometimes such folk get a poorer deal but, our experience here was quite different. We we treated very well.
For the evening, some entertainment, several local ales and a spacious lounge, for those not tempted by the fine delights of Harrogate.

Room Tip: room number ending in 39
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.
I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and your lovely comments regarding the staff & food will be passed on to all concerned.
Thank you again.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful. Its a hotel thats hidden away from most people. I have visited this hotel twice and the recent time I have been you can tell are starting to make changes. The rooms are cosy and clean, the food is delicious and at a high standard. The staff are friendly and always willing to help. one particular lady stood out from the rest, this was a lady called jessica. Very friendly, professional and always smiled. overall it was a great value for money and I would highly recommend it. Andrew

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a charming review.
I was very pleased to read your lovely comments regarding the food and extremely proud to read your comments about our staff.
I am very lucky to have such a good hard working team here and I will pass on your comments to all concerned.
We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Must have been a marvellous venue at some time. We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis for a weekend . The breakfast was ok but the room was really a bit disappointing. The furnishing had seen better days and the bathroom could have been cleaner. I guess it was good value, but I also understand why when we'd tried many other hotels for the weekend, this was the one that still had availability at short notice.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you were not happy with all aspects of your stay.
The hotel has a reception team and duty managers available to talk to 24 hours should you not be happy with any aspect of your stay and they will always try there best to put any wrongs right to ensure you dont leave us disappointed.
I do hope you will try us again in the future,and should you wish to stay again please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

I recently went away for the weekend and stayed here. There was a dance event going off which we weren't told about but could aslk to change rooms if wanted. This didn't bother us though. When we arrived we were shown to our room and received excellent service throughout. The room was dated but very spacious and clean. I don't know if this is a regular thing but we were surprised to receive a lovely hamper filled with wine and other goodies! We had breakfast in a lovely dining room which was very grand and we really enjoyed it. Lots of choice and staff lovely.The location is perfect as it is just a short walk from the centre.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank salt26
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at the Cairn for a night away and we were not disappointed , exceptional service , room big , clean and tidy and rates competitive . The location was perfect with the town centre just a stroll away , I would highly recommend !!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank jason d
Reviewed July 23, 2013

For anyone that is going to this hotel I need to warn you of a few things.
1 - There is no air conditioning in this hotel. I stayed there recently and it must have been max 21 degrees outside and cloudy conditions but the hotel was so hot - it was unbearable. We were given a fan to try and cool down but the only way to sleep was if I soaked a towel with cold water and put it on me. The hotel itself is pretty good.. a little tired but this definitely spoilt our trip....
2 - For the girls platter - this is junk food heaven! onion bhajis, onion rings, pitta bread, fried chicken and tortilla chips. Very dissapointing as we were told that chef had to prepare for this specially. All he had to to was put the whole lot in a deep fat fryer.
3 - For the girls pamper package. - This is 3 nail varnishes, 4 single face masks and that is about it!! Not quite a package.....
On a postitive note the staff could not do enough for you!!
You have been warned