“Well lived in and comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cairn Hotel

Cairn Hotel
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
UK
“Well lived in and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed at the Cairn January 23rd for one night whilst attending a conference.

On arrival in Harrogate we drove straight to the Cairn and parked up at around 10am. Slightly concerned that we would be clamped or fined, I visited reception to check whether I could park so early prior to check in - not a problem as far as receptionist Emma was concerned - simply checked my reservation, handed me a parking badge and wished me a pleasant day. As far as we were concerned, a great start.

On return to the hotel later in the day, we checked in - swift and friendly check in, a different receptionist but just as pleasant.

The room was a twin, comfortable, slightly dated, a very small flat screen TV ( not used) and a very attractive bathroom - all perfectly satisfactory for a one night stay. The hotel is quite dated and as my colleague commented 'well lived in'.

Bar service was excellent, friendly and efficient, breakfast service was good and whilst there was the annoying self service toaster ( I hate them) I was delighted to have some brought to me with my coffee ;-) breakfast was served for me at a buffet style service point, was plentiful and tasty.

The hotel may be a little dated however it is perfectly situated, comfortable and managed by friendly staff.

I would return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Thai first
cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2013

4 nights and one hell of a nightmare this visit was.I was issued with a written warning after smoking in my bathroom(door closed-window open)on my first night.The next night I used and electronic cigarette which omits both a red light and a vapour and blew it out of the window(again in the bathroom-window open door closed).Next day on my return I had a letter from "The Duty Manager issuing a me with a letter and a £25.00 fine for "cleaning" and as the room was rendered "unlettable" even though I was not leaving for a further 3 days.I asked that when available the manager contact me to discuss,guess what no contact was made.
Having discussed the above with other people ( whilst at a trade show)I was told that they had tried to charge one customer £2.00 for a cup of HOT water as they are quote "only their to make a profit".It would appear from other discussions that this ? hotel is only doing business by default and most people I spoke too said that "they would NEVER stay their again" as the attitude of the management staff is abrupt and dismissive at the least.
The restaurant closed on Tuesday night at 8.40pm approximately 4 people ate in it that night(excluding managers).Conclusion- 1. don`t stay here.2.don`t expect to see a manager.3.don`t expect "service".4.Needs decorating.
I like many of my friends have spent most of our lives travelling and have NEVER experienced such Poor management.
ALL they had to do was come and knock on my door and I would have shown them the electic cigarette-problem solved customer and hotel happy.
As from now I will obviously tell anybody travelling to harraogate not too stay at the Cairn Hotel at whatever cost.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank rosiCheshire
Bridlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

The four nights we have spent with George and Janet at the Cairn have been great.

The event was fantastic, however the room we were in could have been larger.

The food was of a good quality although the service could have been better, would have been nice to have had all courses served, not just the starter and desert. The main was, as we were led to expect, a carvery type.

The majority of the building was clean, just a couple of maintenance issues needed to be looked at eg the TV reception and it would have been useful to have Wifi throughout although it was free.

Overall though a very enjoyable four nights.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade as if they are not very busy they may oblige.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
West Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

Just returned from a four night sequence dance break. Our room(129) was compact to say the least with no view, just a roof to look at, however it was clean up to eye level with just a bit of dust on the walls with just a little peeling wallpaper. The biggest problem apart from feeling claustrophobic was that the room had an excessive amount of fused spurs with red lights on that shone so bright during the night.

The hospitality tray was fine, but with just one sachet of hot chocolate and one packet of biscuits for two people is really a bit tight!
The bathroom - obviously fairly new was fine, but a shelf or somewhere to put shampoo etc is required.

There were good sized public areas with a range of comfy furniture. The dining room was large and rather dismal with banqueting chairs rather than dining chairs. Food however was fine - nothing special, but very edible. The starters were served, but the main course was from the portable carvery units. You had to queue up to be served by staff behind the units - just like school dinners. This really detracted from the experience. Desserts were served at the table and then coffee had to be collected from the bar outside the restaurant.
Breakfast was a similar experience. Tea/toast was served to the table and then there was the hot and cold buffet - again with staff serving behind the carvery for the hot food. It was fine, but being served hot food at the table is really so much more civilised and what is expected in a hotel.

The dance area was a nice size, but with 80 people the floor was really rather crowded. The temperature of the room was also a problem and many guests were complaining of being too hot and gasping for fresh air.

We encouted televison problems during our stay and this was reported to reception, but two days later the problem was still happening and no-one bothered to fix it or give us any explanation.

It is also worth noting that WIFI is NOT available in the rooms - just in the reception/bar areas.

Car parking was excellent.

Overall we really enjoyed our dance break, but that was because of the great company and the dancing - not the hotel facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Pickering, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have never stayed at this Hotel before and we will NEVER return. The Hotel at first glance looks a little tired. Once inside, the reception area looks impressive but the dining room and bedrooms are very basic infact poor would be a more suitable description.

There were 10 of us staying for dinner bed & breakfast . We spent the day in the hotel lounge
where we had lunch & drinks we enjoyed catching up with our friends .

In the evening , spoilt for choice with the mouth watering menu , we made our way into the
restaurant ( we had already pre-ordered our meal and pre-paid infact, for the entire weekend
package ). expecting some kind of christmas fayre ie christmas crackers / christmas table cloth
or something festive at the table - but nothing ! It was December the 18th !!

It was a carvery style service in which not one member of staff smiled or engaged in conversation
other than yorkshire pudding ? stuffing ? goodness me it dosen't take much to be friendly and courteous. Our waitress must have been on a timer back in the kitchen because our starter, puddings and coffee where thrust upon us with great urgency.
The quality of the food was poor, we ordered deluxe prawn cocktail and it was nothing short of a joke .We laughed at the pudding cheese & biscuits dried up double gloucester , not even a
sprig of grapes five singles ! goodness me , surely you can do better than this at £25.00 a head.
It was like a pensioners luncheon in the local community centre.
In total we estimate our meal overnight stay, drinks & lunch to have been appx £1000.00 for our
party of ten,

Because nobody made contact with us during and after our meal , I did complain to reception,
and to the Duty Manager he took a statement and said he would follow up my complaint with a telephone call. I also filled out the questionaire that was left in my room 209 and guess what still no follow up, no explanation or concern or apology . I can only assume one of two things -
The Cairn Hotel are far too busy to address customer compalints or they just don't care, I only
hope that next years figures reflect this and maybe then, and only then will they start addressing
important issues like LOOKING AFTER THEIR GUESTS !!!!!!

Room Tip: look else where before booking - I wish we had .
2 Thank A R
Wetherby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

With a group of friends we came to one of the Cairn's Christmas party nights, which was excellent value with a good choice of food. The quality of food was impressive considering they were catering for large numbers. However the disco was extremely loud and we ended up sitting in the reception area so we could chat without straining voices!
We stayed overnight and our room was pleasant, spacious and comfortable. Breakfast was served in an elegant room with beautiful windows overlooking the garden. Again food quality and choice was very good.
Overall an enjoyable experience at moderate cost.

Room Tip: Second floor rather than first takes you away from party rooms.
Bridge of Earn, Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Cairn Hotel is rated 3 star - having stayed there for Hogmanay with a party of 9 we all thought it should be rated higher.
The duty manager came to our bus for a welcome and speedily we were given our room keys and were in our room.
The quality of the food was very good , served on hot plates with generous portions.
Staff attitudes were excellent - pleasant and helpful at all times
We all opted for a club room upgrade which as many have reported is worthwhile.
Most of the hotel is now upgraded though in places the corridor carpets must be next in line -some were patched with tape.
Definite a place to return to in the future.
One problem for those not so agile - to go into town is down hill so be prepared to go up when returning to the hotel and most of the town is hilly. Taxis cost approx £4 for single trip.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a club room and ask to be away from above ballroom for musical noise
1 Thank eddienicholson