“A Lovely Experience”

Ranked #14 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Selby, United Kingdom
“A Lovely Experience”
Reviewed February 15, 2009

The Crown is a "grand dame" of a hotel full of character and charm.

We visited as a last minute valentines break and on an offer from a last minute bookings company. It was not cheap - but for a special occasion it was a perfect setting.

We had an executive suite which was large and comfortable; a seperate lounge, bedroom with four poster bed, large bathroom and entrance lobby. One quibble here - as with another review - there was no heating in the bathroom; strange. However all fittings and fixtures were modern and the feel of the suite was that of good quality. The bed was extremely comfortable.

We had booked a valentines dinner and were lucky to get a table (albeit early). Again - not a low cost option but one has to remember this is Harrogate. The food was excellent and the service likewise.

Being centrally located we then left the hotel and had a wander around this very pleasant and genteel (well heeled) town packed full of interesting bars and restaurants.

We took breakfast the following morning. It is a buffet offering and the staff were a little slow in clearing tables and bringing coffee/tea and toast but the place was full and they were doing their best to provide a good service.

So - all in all - a very memorable stay and for the right reasons. Let me stress it was not a "bargain" break and on the pricey side but for great atmosphere and a genuine offering of historic surroundings this hotel is excellent. We loved it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
gmm_9, General Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, March 2, 2009
Dear Huntley Shipley

Thank you for posting your positive and kind comments onto trip advisor where I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay over the valentine weekend at the hotel.

The bathroom heating situation is currently under review and we are hoping to make head way with this in the near future.

We look forward to welcoming you back

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Sunderland
Reviewed February 8, 2009

A group of 6 female family members stayed a night at the Crown. We had 3 twin rooms each. The hotel appears to have recently been refurbished and has a nice interior. The history of the building gives it good character.
The rooms were nice and spacious, clean and comtemporary. They were stocked with the usual tea, coffee, showergel, hair dryer etc. There were flat screen televisions. The down side of the rooms were that they were really quite cold! My room had a minute radiator and there was no heating at all in the bathroom. It was a cold winter day and it was uncomfortabley cold in the room.
Staff were friendly and helpful and we managed to get parked in the front car park which has a small number of spaces. A good breakfast was provided.
Harrogate is not big but the Crown is very centrally placed for shops, bars and restaurants.
We paid 70 pounds per room and were very happy with our stay.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Cold rooms
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Dear vjandsj

Just a quick note to thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay at the crown hotel Harrogate.

I have passed on your comments to our maintenance team and the heating situation is currently being reviewed.

Kind regards
Winchester
Reviewed January 22, 2009

Stayed here for a conference but wished i d hadn't. Tried to check in early about 12.45am but were told we couldn't, which wasn't a problem, but i felt the lady on reception wasn't the most hospitable of people i asked where we could park our vehicle because the car park was full and she told me we had to find a space on the street or at the local ncp which was a bit annoying.

From the outside the hotel is very impressive it is perfectly situated for the conference centre. The main reception rooms are very grand and they suite the outside of the hotel perfectly.
The rooms and corridors however are dull looking even after the so called renovations I stayed in a room close to some stairs and fire doors which was very noisy, all i could here when people walked by my door was thud creak bang. The door to my room didn't seem to do anything to block these noises.

The decor of the room was dark with a rather dated look the bed however was very comfy/clean. The bathroom was newly renovated which was done nicely,

The worst part of my stay occurred at about 2.00am!! When i awoke to very loud music coming from somewhere close by, I tried to contact reception but they wouldn't respond. The music stopped at about 2.30.

This was one of my worst experiences in a hotel full stop. I certainly didn't like handing over my credit card at check out.

Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank richie102030
Shropshire
Reviewed January 10, 2009

As with many other reviewers I stayed here as I was attending a conference. Looks good from the outside but it's all superficial. My room was at the back of the hotel and had no view at all. To make matters worse on my arrival when removing the dated cushions off the duvet I had to kill a rather large spider....not a good start! The central heating pipes were exposed floor to ceiling and were in need a dust down (hence the spider). The disgusting curtains had holes and cigarette burns in. The bathroom was clean but very small. Breakfast was breakfast in and old and dated, Victorian hotel. Upon my departure I thought to myself, thanks goodness I am not paying the bill, because whatever they charged it was certainly not worth it.

• Liked — Closing the door to leave
  • Disliked — The spider!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank The-Fuss-Pots
laloNewcastle, Crown Hotel General Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2009
Following your stay in October at The Crown Hotel Harrogate I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor.

Since our completed refurbishment in 2008 we pride ourselves on the housekeeping standards at the hotel and was most disappointed to read that we had not met with your expectations in this area during your stay.

All of our bedrooms are individually presented and as we are located in the heart of Harrogate unfortunately very few of our bedrooms have views across Harrogate.

Once again many thanks for your comments regarding your stay at The Crown Hotel Harrogate
UK
Reviewed December 9, 2008

Recently refurbished but still has uneven floorboards under the carpets and draughty old sash windows.
There were 3 of us (females) who booked together,but allocated rooms on 3 different floors.My room was miles from the lift(expansive corridors) and right next to the fire escape on 3rd floor
Bathroom had been redone with tile flooring,new suite ,but no radiator or extractor -freezing as we had snow,especially when the heating was turned off during the night!
Large room with 2 TVs and sofa,but only one of the 3 ancient radiators got hot (ish)-others barely warm.Good bedding/towels and great duvet.
Reception staff not wonderfully friendly/helpful. Breakfast was quite good, but lots of tinned fruit and coffee was luke warm.

• Liked — center of town,real ale pub across the street
  • Disliked — room was cold,especially bathroom.Location of room,limited parking
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
south yorkshire
Reviewed November 16, 2008

Paid £145 for a double room direct with the hotel and asked for earlier check in. We checked in at about 1pm instead of the normal 3pm. This hotel is huge, but lacks customer parking. About 25 spaces, need t be lucky and drop on a space otherwise its road side parking and a walk t the hotel. We stayed on a saturday and the hotel had a wedding. Most spaces going t those guests. The rooms are small but clean, they have no air conditioning and get very warm, most rooms look over roads or the back of other buildings. Our room was very noisy, we could hear passing traffic and drunken persons at local bars and clubs. The done was excellent, by far the best breakfast every had in a hotel. Surprised they dont serve breakfast in bed. The residents bar was very small for such a large hotel and it was hard to find somewhere to sit. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful, would i stay again? No. Instead would go to the travel inn just round the corner for half the price .

laloNewcastle, General Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2009
Dear Richkel

Thank you for your comments that you have posted onto tripadvisor after your stay at The Crown Hotel Harrogate.

I really appreciate your concerns regarding car parking at the hotel and would love to extend this area. Unfortunately as we do not have the land to build further car parking facilities at the hotel we offer what little car parking we do have on a complimentary first come fist serve basis unlike many of the hotel in Harrogate that charge approximately £10.00 - £15.00 per night.

I was extremely pleased to read that you felt our breakfast was a good start to the day and whilst we do not serve full English Breakfast in the bedrooms, we do offer a full Continental selection that can be taken as room service and is served up until 9.30am.

We offer a range of special offers throughout the year to stay either for mid week or weekend breaks and these offers can range from as little as £70.00 per room inclusive of room and breakfast.

Please do not hesitate to get in contact with myself should you require more information on these offers.

Regards
UK
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Stayed at the crown for one night, and can’t say I was overly impressed.

The hotel has clearly been recently refurbished. But in my opinion this has been done on the cheap. The room was very large and there was plenty of room for a cot for our 18 month old son. However, the bed was small, the carpet looked cheap and the room was very sparsely furnished, sounds like I’m being very picky, which I suppose I am, but there was just something about the room, furniture and layout that just said cheap hotel.

The main areas of the hotel were nice, reception were helpful, breakfast was good, plenty of choice etc. Our evening meal was served in “The Place” which is a bistro/bar used by hotel guests and open to the public. We started dinner 7 and in the beginning everything was fine. Nice atmosphere of informal dining, however the place was totally understaffed, there were only three staff to run bar and restaurant. From receiving a desert menu to getting food on the table took 45 minutes and I had to go to the bar myself to order, as the staff were now concentrating efforts on serving drinks. We mentioned this as we checked out and the reception staff were very apologetic and clearly new this to be an issue even stating “I know we sometimes have to go and help them out”, having said all that the food was very nice.

So to summarise, I would say the crown is very average. I can’t say I would strongly advise people not to stay at the Crown, however, I know I will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family