“Very good hotel, a couple of minor issues”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #12 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel, a couple of minor issues”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed from friday 22nd to Sunday 24th November, overall a very good stay. Checking in and out was very quick, the receptionists were polite. We stayed in a standard double room with squeaky floorboards which were a little disconcerting at first. Although the room was at the front of the hotel we heard very little traffic noise and the view of traditional fronted shops and the parkland beyond the roundabout was a very pleasant surprise. One small gripe we had was that only one person at a time could use the room wifi. We were aware from the website that on site parking is limited so were very happy when advised that a local hotel (The White Hart) had parking spaces we could use at £6.00 per night. However we were not told that additional charges would be incurred after 10 am, we ended up paying an additional £12 for a 20 minute overstay. The breakfast was excellent, we would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We loved the room at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gill P
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Gill P
Thank you for finding time to write a review and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. A lot of guests like the front facing rooms and the view of the Crown roundabout complete with the Jubilee Crown and flowers, however there are, unfortunately, only a limited number of these rooms.
Wi-fi is free at the hotel and each room has it's own particular code but for one device only. Any further codes can be obtained by calling reception. If you stay with us again please ask for another code when you check in so that you can use more devices should you wish.
I have been in touch with the White Hart about the extra you were charged for parking your car and it is a new policy to charge extra if cars are parked there before 6pm. I am sorry that we were not aware of this change and this new information has been passed to all Crown staff who work on reception.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the breakfast and I shall pass your comments on to the chefs and hope that should you stay again, your visit will be as enjoyable as this has been.
Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

Came here with my spouse to do some Christmas shopping while he was at a conference.
Great location 2mins walk from the centre if Harrogate.
Our room was a basic twin but spacious and spotlessly clean.
We had breakfast in the wonderful dining room..wow and the food was plentiful and well prepared.
Highly recommend this hotel....

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear MamaDav
Thank you for writing a review of the hotel and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay here.
I have let the Head Housekeeper know that you posted positve cooments about the cleanliness of the room which no doubt she will pass on to her team. I have also made the Head Chef aware that yet more guests have enjoyed the breakfast his chefs produce.
I hope that next time you come to Harrogate you will stay at the Crown again to enjoy the food and the shopping.
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Stayed in this hotel with friends for a weekend break.

Rooms were spacious and clean. Everything needed for an overnight stay. Really close to centre and walking distance for bars/shops.

Breakfast was excellent!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear hesastar2
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Crown Hotel.
I have passed your comment about the cleanliness of the room to the Head Housekeeper as she will be pleased that you have remarked on it. I will also let the chefs know that you enjoyed your breakfast.
The hotel is only minutes away from the town centre and there are many independant shops along the way and I do hope that should you come to Harrogate again, you also make a return visit to the Crown.
Bray on Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Went to a conference and hotel was booked for me. Looked grand but rooms were from the 50's. Breakfast however was excellent with the best black pudding I have ever eaten. Whilst I am sure a coincidence I found out an hour after checking in that my credit card had been cloned.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Coppindm
Dear coppindm
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay at the Crown.
I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfast and since our chefs have started making the black pudding themselves we have had many compliments about the taste. I am sorry that you did not like the bedrooom decor however we are looking to refurbish them in the near future.
There is not an issue with card cloning at this hotel and as we have not heard from you I am presuming that you have resolved the problem, however should the matter still be troubling you then please feel free to contact me by phone or send an e-mail to servicemanager@crownhotelharrogate.com
Guest Services
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Stayed at the Crown hotel and wouldn't go back. Don't bring your car because parking on site is a nightmare as there is limited spaces available. If you don't get in you will spend ages driving around trying to park could only find overnight parking in a multi story for £13. Then a taxi back to the hotel £5 plus £5 to return to the car an extra £23 a day. The hotel now needs to be updated. It's not quaint that the floorboards all squeak. Our bedroom was cold they did send a oil radiator to help warm it up as the heating was not working.The breakfast was good so it had one plus!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ron B
Dear Ron B
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you had a problem with finding an available car parking space near the hotel.
The car park at the Crown is limited but free and on a first come first served basis while most other hotels charge. Once our car park is full the reception team are only too happy to direct guests to nearby on street parking which is free between 6pm each evening and 8 am in the morning and all day Sunday. There is plenty of on street parking a few roads from the hotel and a 24 hour car park 100 yards away as well as 2 multi storey car parks within walking distance from the Crown.
The hotel is a very old building and I am sorry if you were disturbed by the squeaky floorboards however when the rooms are refurbished we will be looking into solving this problem.
Some rooms do take a little longer to heat up, especially the larger ones, however we do have plenty of oil filled radiators should they be needed and I am pleased that your request for one was acted upon.
On a positive note I am glad to note that you enjoyed your breakfast and perhaps if you visit Harrogate again this may tempt you to come back to the Crown.
sydney
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Stayed for two nights in November in a small double room-only one person.The reception was quick and efficient,the room was clean and quiet with a nice view of Harrogate.The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom/shower was just fine.In the bathroom they have soap/hair shampoo in wall dispensers-avoid-they are nasty!The breakfast was great-good choices and not bad coffee.Overall a good place to stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear richard t
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.
I am glad that you found the room clean and that you had a good night's sleep although I have passed your comments about the shower gel and shampoo on to the HeadHousekeeper for her information. I have also let the breakfast chef know that you enjoyed his breakfast as it is always nice to have positive feedback.
I hope that should you come back to Harrogate, you stay at the Crown Hotel again.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night with my husband and son whilst visiting family in the town. We booked directly with the hotel and the reservation team couldn't have been more helpful they took great care in allocating us a room when we booked which met all our requests. We paid £80 for a standard double and breakfast which was good valve for this town. When we arrived we were unable to find anywhere to park, even on the street, the hotel states that it has limited parking but this is an understatement !! I went into the hotel to ask for advice on parking and was told quite directly that we'd just have to find a space on the surrounding streets and given a street map of the town. This wasn't very helpful on a cold dark evening when it's pouring with rain !! We eventually managed to squeeze the car in a parking space, scraping the bumper in the process,we were unsure if we would get clamped but as we were so fed up of driving round and round we thought we'd take a chance!

Checking in was a complete shambles the couple in front of us obviously knew the receptionist,Abby, personally by the way they were chatting it appeared that a twin room had been allocated by mistake but instead of just changing the room she upgraded them to an executive double and then only charged them £67.00 for the night!! I believe the term used is "mates rates" !! Our room (121) was specious and met our needs very well it was clean and nicely decorated but like previous reviewers I would've liked them to have kept some of the original features when it was refurbished recently. The room had a big bay window which looked out into the road and over the town, this made the room light and airy. I especially liked the placing of two armchairs in the bay window and the pictures of old Harrogate and a brief history of the hotel on the walls of the room. The bathroom was modern and clean and had both a bath and a shower (although not a power shower ) a heated towel rail would've been nice and people come to expect little touches like this when staying in a 4 star hotel. Breakfast was served in the Churchill room which had lots of original features and was the usual self service selection of cereals, fruit, continental breakfast, juices etc and long line of trays which each contained items for the full English breakfast. I like this to be served fresh at the table but that's just my personal preference, overall it was very good for the £5 each extra we paid.
Overall a nice hotel for the money. The big let down is the lack of parking. The hotel has about 115 rooms and states it has 30 car parking spaces although I would question that number. Basically apart from about a dozen spaces around the back what you see at the front of the hotel is it ! Next time we will gladly pay more to stay at one of the bigger hotels with a large car park.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Anon186364
CrownHotel200, Guest Relations Manager at The Crown Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Anon 186364
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am sorry that you had a problem finding a car parking space when you arrived. We always state that parking is limited at the hotel and our receptionists are trained to inform guests of alternative parking in the area. Unlike most hotels in Harrogate, parking at the Crown is free and on Saturdays from 6pm until Monday morning at 8am the on street parking is free. I am aware that trying to find a parking space can be frustrating for guests, especially when Harrogate is busy, but we try to help as much as we can.
While you were waiting to check in, Abi was indeed dealing with a couple, so a senior manager came on to reception to help guests wishing to register, which included you and your husband. Abi had been with the couple, who were not previously known to her, for some time and was chatting to them whilst waiting for help from a more senior colleague. There were no double rooms available so under the direction of this colleague Abi was instructed to upgrade them. They were on a different package to you as breakfast, at £10 per person, was not included in their rate. Had it been they would have been paying a higher tariff than you. There are no "mates rates" at the hotel and room rates vary from day to day depending on when the room is booked and what is happening in Harrogate.
On a more positive note I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and that you liked the room you had been allocated, which was warm, clean and front facing as you had requested. I am pleased also that you enjoyed the breakfast.
Should you visit Harrogate again and stay with us, I am sure that everyone will do their best to make sure you have a room you like and that you have an enjoyable time.