“Not Impressed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Scotland
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband is a priority club member and had booked a special two for 1 deal. Because it was our anniversary we decided to treat ourselves to a suite....all I can say is I am glad we did not pay full price....I was disappointed at half price. The suite was really just two rooms with the adjoining door open and was so packed full of furniture you could hardly move. It was dated and did not feel in anyway special. One plus of the room was the huge and comfy bed. Little things like there being no decaf coffee in the room and no glasses for drinking out of let it down.

The bar area was nice enough with tvs and all the staff we dealt with were nice. The hotel is in a really good location for exploring harrogate. However it is pretty dated and tired. I've stayed in much better holiday inns.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnHarrogate, General Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear ScotlandLJane,

Thank you for your observations concerning your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apologies for the dissapointment you have felt with your Suite and subsequently with your anniversary. The Team understands that such occassions are special and rest assured that your feedback is used in a constructive manner to enhance memorable Guest experiences.

Thank you once more and best regards,

Holiday Inn Harrogate Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Good customer service with the staff been very helpful in everyway possible. Rooms were to a very high standards. Food was very good and presentation was great.Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice. the hotel is walking distance of the railway station. would definitely choose this hotel if we visit Harrogate in the future.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north have great views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear jamesgaines,

Thank you for the positve feedback regarding your recent stay. The Holiday Inn Harrogate Team is delighted to have provided you with the service and services your deserve. We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.

Best regards,

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We visited the hotel last week during the bad weather, and the hotel was a wonderful oasis in a desert of white!
The staff are excellent, as I would expect in a hotel of this size and standard, invariably polite and helpful, and always with a smile. I cannot fault the cleanliness of the executive room, or with the hotel in general. Admittedly, I wasn't running my finger along the top of the window or looking for hairs in the sink, but it all looked in pretty good order. A hotel as big as this will always have on-going maintenance issues, but there was nothing that would spoil anyone's visit for heaven's sake.
I would take issue with the dining restaurant though, when there are only 6 to 8 tables to serve,
it shouldn't take an hour to get to the main course stage on the first night, and be told that it would take 25 mins. for the steak & ale pie to be served the following night. I was also confused by my pre-paid dinner allowance as against the "offer" of £29.99 for two, including a glass of wine each. The staff seemed unsure of what I could get from the menu, or what I had pre-paid, and there was no wine waiter or anyone remotely clued up on wine. Plenty of staff though, so it wasn't a staffing problem. Unfortunately, the food was no better than decent pub food, and
I'm not sure the hotel actually want dinner guests, as they could service them just as well in the ground floor bar area !
The young staff didn't deserve a grouchy diner, however, and it didn't spoil our visit in the slightest.......the snow did........and the struggle up the snowy hill out of the car park was a triumph for man and machine against the elements.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jim C,

Thank you for your both positive and constructive feedback regarding your recent experience at the hotel. Your observations have been discussed with the Team. Please accept our sincere apologies for the poor weather and your dinner experience. We do indeed wish to encourage our Guests to dine with us which highlights the importance of feedback such as yours. This helps us to improve our Guests' experience over time and we sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to demonstrate this to you first hand on your next visit.

Thank you once more and best regards,

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised.The staff were wonderful,going out of their way to make our stay enjoyable even providing ice bucket and champagne glasses even though we brought our own champagne .Rooms were ok but the beds were very comfortable.As it was my sons graduation we spent quite a bit of time at the bar which I must say was very expensive. Reception staff were lovely girls and very friendly. All in all I would strongly recomend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHGHIHarrogate, Manager at Holiday Inn, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear Julie945

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following a recent stay at the Holiday Inn Harrogate, I would like to assure you that we value all feedback and use it to evaluate our customer’s experiences for the future.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay here, please pass on my congratulations to your son on his graduation, I have passed on your kind comments to the team and noted the comments reference the bar prices.

I do hope we see you again in the near future and if there is anything further I can help with then I would be delighted to assist you, please contact myself over the phone or via email, I can be contacted on 01423 849988 or on ops.hiharrogate@qmh-hotels.com.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed for two nights here with 6 friends. The hotel was great, location excellent and walking distance from the train station. The breakfast was delicious with plenty of choice and the rooms were clean and comfortable. We found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. Would definitely choose this hotel if we visit Harrogate again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Deana K,

I was delighted to see that you and your group enjoyed your stay with us and your time in Harrogate, I will of course pass your kind comments on to the team here at the hotel.

manchester, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Recently stayed at Holiday Inn, Harrogate (our 2nd visit).
A bit disappointed this time, room basic and corridors a little tired, could do with a lick of paint.
However the location made up for that as it is a short walk from the centre of town (5-10 mins).
Hotel staff pleasant and parking £5 per night.
Didn't eat in hotel, breakfast £10 pppn which I thought was a bit steep. We ate a hearty breakfast in town for less than £5 each with drinks.
Overall, ideal place to stay in a lovely town and we would stay here again but maybe upgrade the room from a standard double. However we did get a 2 for 1 deal so didn't mind but if we'd paid full price would have been disappointed with the room we had.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sah897,

I was of course concerned to read that you felt the room was basic, all rooms adhere to the Holiday Inn Brand standards, however if there is anything you would like to see added in please feel free to contact me directly. In terms of the corridors we are currently under taking a rolling redecoration of bed room corridors so this is in hand. I do hope that this didn’t mar your stay too much and that you enjoyed everything Harrogate has to offer, please accept my apologies for the room and corridor not being to your requirements.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is one of my favourite Holiday Inn's in the UK. Easily found, good location, exceptionally clean and friendly staff. I have stayed here mostly on business, however i brought my partner for a weekend stay, we were not disappointed. Receptionist was pleasant and recognised that i had stayed before, which was a nice touch.
We had dinner out in the town, however we did have some drinks in the bar before we left which was nice and peaceful for a Saturday night. Town centre is just a short walk, handy for Betties Tea room.
Breakfast was busy on the Sunday morning with large groups, but this did not disturb us, the staff seemed calm and collected. Breakfast was hot and tasty.
The only moan i would have, is the wifi should be free!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear James P,

I was delighted to read that you rate us so highly amongst not only our competitors but other Holiday Inns in the UK, fantastic also that you enjoyed your stay with us and Harrogate as a destination, I have passed on your kind comments regarding the team for them to review. In addition I have also noted your comments about the Wifi for the future.