“Couldn't have written the script!!”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Winsford, United Kingdom
“Couldn't have written the script!!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

We arrived on Sat 1st Feb on a complimentary stay by Puma as our previous stay at The Place Hotel in Buxton had been a disaster, and after complaining Puma very kindly agreed to provide us with a complimentary stay. We arrived at 3pm to check in and had to wait 20 minutes, mainly due to the fact that a lot of guests were being told that their rooms weren't ready. I appreciate the hotel was very busy and an apology for our wait would have been appreciated, and accepted. However instead the receptionist went to the very back of the reception area and shouted across requesting my full address and postcode in front of a packed lobby of guests....I may as well have given the alarm code to our house!! We checked in to Room 329 whereupon we instantly noticed a peculiar smell, around the bathroom, we presumed this was the shower curtain. I am not a big fan of these and do know they can sometimes smell a bit musty. We were only in the room for a few minutes then headed out. When we returned very late at night we noticed a used bar of soap on the bath, the dressing table was covered in dust, we found a dirty plaster on the floor next to a very ragged sofa (I would remove that as the two easy chairs are adequate and the sofa is very worn) . We went to bed along with the awful smell. In the morning in the daylight, we noticed that it wasn't the shower curtain, it was some vomit on the carpet between the bed and the bathroom!! We went to check out and to advise reception of the issue, but the queue was even longer than at check in so we just left as we didn't owe anything and didn't have time to wait another 20 minutes! Friends of ours who were also staying in the hotel reported the issue for us, but so far I have heard nothing from the hotel. Such a shame as I so wanted to give Puma a second chance. Generally the staff were very helpful, and the breakfast was good, and the public rooms are lovely, but housekeeping in our room was awful. The hotel definitely needs to have a system of double checking the rooms....even more so when when you are welcoming guests back who have previously had a bad experience. Very disappointing!!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenny B
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Dear Jenny B,

I'm sorry that your room was not properly prepared and checked fully prior to your occupation of it. This isn't our usual standard nor that encountered by your friends in the next door room.

Due to the nature of your booking I do not have your contact details and would welcome the opportunity to make contact. My email address is: v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Looking forward to hearing from you, Vince

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Big hotel old world splendour and sadly not the experince we expected. Room 433 is large and in need of a refurb . Marks on the wall and too large to keep warm. The windows are draughty and the bathroom too cold to bathe in. Evening meal was average at best

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank zzipp34
Dear zzip34,

Thank you for your review and sorry to ready that we did not meet your expectations. If you'd care to get in contact with me I'd welcoem the chance to understand the issues better and have the chance to remedy them.

My email is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Many thanks, Vince

Travelers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Durham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a weekend away with friends. Thought the hotel was very good value, the staff were very nice and helpful. The rooms were a good size. Breakfast lovely with lots of choice, something for everyone. Only let down was that one of the lifts wasn't working so sometimes took a while for lift but that's all. In a great location just minutes walk from town centre, will definately return.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Sharon O
Dear Sharon O,

Thank you for posting your review and so pleased that you had an enjoyable stay.

We are awaiting a lift repair and my advice to anyone thinking of having a lift is to avoid one from Schindler as they don't carry spare parts for one only 4 years old ! Our repairer is making a part hence the short delay. It will be back in operation for your next visit.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Stayed one night to celebrate my 60th birthday, a present from my daughter and son in law. Old fashioned hotel, huge chandeliers, took me back in time a little. Large bedroom and bathroom. Had a wonderful stay, all the staff were excellent. Had a lovely evening meal and excellent breakfast. It exceeded my expectations when a bottle of champagne and chocolates arrived in the afternoon. My daughter had mentioned it was my birthday when she booked it, but never expected such a treat! Definitely worth a stay, as it's only a few minutes walk into the centre of Harrogate. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kathryn T,

I am thankful to your daughter for booking you in at the Majestic Hotel on such an auspicious occasion.

Really pleased that you had a wonderful time and hope to welcome you back soon.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Had a meeting today, a pre-booled event, following the meeting we had lunch. This is where the farce starts. The room was cold and uncomfortable. We moved to another room. We were sat like a museum piece awaiting meal. A chop and chase job was made to sit us. Very poor really from a Hotel of such standing.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jim L
Dear Jim L,

Thank you for posting your review and I am sorry that the lounge was cold. On a positive note we were able to move you and your food was freshly prepared as quickly as could be done.

We do try to meet all expectations and my apologies that you felt disappointed on this visit.

Kingston-upon-hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Me and my Mum have recently got back from a spa break at The Majestic Hotel and could not have been happier! After reading some of the ratings on TripAdvisor I was a little sceptical but they could not have been more wrong. The room was lovely and in immaculate condition. We even arrived a little earlier due to out first spa treatment, which was not a problem at all and was allocated a room straight away. On the night we dined in the restaurant on site and the food was excellent along with the service.

Would definitely recommend to anyone considering staying here. The only downside to the stay was we had to leave, we will hopefully be visiting again in the not too distant future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Lucy C
Dear Lucy C,

Thank you for your wonderful review and 5 star rating. So glad you enjoyed our offerings and hoping to welcome you back very soon.

Harrogate
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I have stayed at the Majestic on 2 occasions now and will definitely stay there again. A large old hotel full of character and everything to hand. I was pleased it had leisure facilities. The breakfast choice was also brilliant from your full English to the much healthier options. A huge choice. I stayed in room 121 which was very impressive and I would highly recommend this room, also the 1st time I stayed was lovely too. The hotel is central to everything and a very short walk away from a huge choice of bars, restuarants and shops. A must if you are visiting Harrogate

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear shirleyknox1,

Thank you for posting your 5 star review of the Majestic Hotel.

Lets hope it is not too long before your third visit and I agree Room 121 is one of our nicest Premium Rooms.