“Treat yourself to a magic”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The Majestic hotel's location is superb for exploring Harogate and York. It is very traditional hotel with lot of space, old traditional elegance, beautiful decor. the food both in the restaurant and at breakfast was delicious and beautifully presented. The bed was very comfortable. We were warm but not 'overheated'. Staff very attentive and polite. Would have liked to stay longer! Will certainly return there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank Danica G
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Thank you so much for your 5 star review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate.

Our team do everything in their power to try and ensure all our guests have a wonderful stay with us and I'm so glad that this was your experience.

We are all delighted with your kind praise and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

Stayed over a weekend for a work conference and brought my other half as a plus one who did not attend. The hotel itself is gorgeous, the room was clean and spacious, the bed large and very comfortable, the staff without exception were friendly, helpful and polite. The breakfast could not be faulted. The main meals were served as part of the conference and I was not overly impressed but that may have been their menu choices. There was a gala dinner on the Saturday night and I ended up doing a bit of dancing without any shoes on when I got to my room I was surprised to find my feet still clean! Impressive!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Paula W,

Thank you for sharing your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really pleased that you had a wonderful time with us for your conference and that you brought your partner.

Hoping to welcome you back soon. Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Two friends and I booked a "Girls Night In" package and we were not disappointed. The staff at Puma Hotel reservations were extremely friendly and helpful and made the booking process very easy.

We approached the hotel through the Majestic Gardens and were blown away by the grandeur of the building. The interior did not disappoint with it's lovely large reception areas, high ceilings and glistening chandeliers.

Check in was swift and although we were slightly early the receptionist checked that our room was available for us. We stayed in Room 321 and whilst the decor was a little tired, it was a very spacious family room with one double and twin beds and it was very clean and comfortable.

Our package included two treatments at the Orchid Room and all three girls who did them were lovely and made us all feel very special.

We then headed to the Leisure Club and were a little disappointed with the small sauna and jacuzi although the swimming pool was a perfect size. I think for the size of the hotel the Leisure Club would benefit from additional steam rooms and a larger jacuzi.

We had our three course dinner which was included in our package in the very elegant dining room. There was plenty of choice on the Table d'Hote menu and the service was excellent and the food was delicious and very well presented.

The following morning we enjoyed a hearty full English breakfast taken in the equally elegant but smaller drawing room.

The three of us could not fault our stay here and we definitely intend to return again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Mazzyking,

Thank you for posting your review and for visiting the Majestic Hotel for your girly get together.

Perhaps when you next return you might want to venture into the Turkish Baths just a few hundred yards away as it is highly recommended and award winning.

Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I married in this once beautiful hotel back in 2001. Obviously it holds special memories to us. However after several changes of ownership this magnificent hotel is a shadow of its former self.
We visited for our 12th anniversary hoping to rekindle the memories of a super hotel with super staff all wrapped in the elegance of a quintessential atmosphere.
How disappointed we were. Considering the central location and it's close proximity to the conference centre and how close we are to Christmas, the hotel was dead. As was the atmosphere and the quality of the service we received. In 25 hours I saw a grand total of 7 members of staff, and we didn't confine ourselves to our room either.
The new owners Puma Hotels (I believe was Paramount Hotels) have spent money decorating the place but you can't fake or gloss over a poor atmosphere. We were her 2 years ago, again for our anniversary and the place was busy and lively.
We stayed in room 464 on the top floor. It cost £149 b&b for one night, which I feel is expensive. The room itself was tiny, especially considering the price. Admittedly the room was pristine and freshly decorated with a good sized en suite. However the bed was so hard the floor would have been softer. Did not sleep well at all. We had room service on the evening which arrived in good time and the food quality was good but sadly it was luke warm. We also had breakfast in our rooms which was lovely and on this occasion was hot.
This hotel has a special place in our hearts but it has lost its touch. It's over priced and does not represent good value and definitely needs to improve the deathly atmosphere.

Dear Mark L,

Thank you for posting your review and I do hope that we can maintain that special place in your heart.

The Majestic remains a great hotel but some nights are quiet, in fairness, not many but clearly the one you stayed and we would only have a few staff on duty on a quiet night. The hotel is as busy as ever and has seen some great investment since your 2001 wedding.

I'm sure when you next visit you will find us busier and by all means get in touch with me and I will help guide you to a not quiet date. I'm sure you'll see us in a different light then.

Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was the cleanest I have ever stayed in. The food was amazing and I love the traditional features. The staff were very helpful and friendly and could not do enough for you. The only reason I put 4 stars is because there was a quiet atmosphere.

Dear Sam_dan_walk,

Thank you for your review of the Majestic Hotel and I think you might have stayed the same night as Mark on the next review as he found it quiet.

I can assure you it was a one off as we are over 10% busier than last year in November and are finding demand really strong at the moment.

There's no doubt that on your next visit we will be manically busy. As I write this response we are serving dinner to over 600 people !

Hope you'll return soon. Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is looking very, very tired. It's like being back in the 50's. The decor probably hasn't been updated since then. It needs a lick of paint. The tiles are cracked in the bathroom, and the window frames are rotten. The shower curtain absolutely stunk to high heaven!! It has clearly NEVER been washed or changed. When the heated towel rail has been on all day, the putrid stench in my room as I came in from an all day conference was horrendous!! The cleaning maid MUST surely have smelt it and done something about it. My plan was to complain in the morning but it was extremely busy at checkout & the lady at reception seemed too pre occupied. This a 3 star hotel at best. It is living in a bygone era. It needs to modernise & wise up to the fact that time has moved on. People will not sit & have afternoon tea in a hotel where your feet are stuck to the matted carpet. Your hotel smells. Try using an air fresher now & again.

1  Thank taylor1801

Dear Taylor 1801,

Thank you for your review and sorry that you didn't have an enjoyable stay. On returning to your room you should have reported the issue as we would definately have moved you.

The general areas of the hotel are all redecorated albeit traditionally and all the bedroom carpets are no more than 10 years old so I'd be intrigued to know which room you'd used and I'm not aware of a similar report.

Again sorry you were disappointed, Vince

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I took my partner for his birthday after seeing an offer on Groupon. I opted for the premier room but ended up with a suite three times the size of my apartment, overlooking Harrogate, with five balconies. It was dated but comfortable with beautiful features, and it looks like they've started to refurbish most of the floor so I sense it won't be dated for long. My only criticisms are that the wifi didn't work and the bed was a little too soft, but that may be personal preference.
Dinner was lovely, the waiting staff were very attentive and it was one of the nicest breakfasts I've ever had. There was a choice of ten condiments to have on my toast! For the amount I paid, I feel we had a fantastic experience and didn't want to leave. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Room 226 but turn the radiators down on arrival