“Fading Grandeur”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have stayed at the Majestic several times over the last 20 years or so, under several of it's different ownerships.

We decided to return here to celebrate our wedding anniversary, as this was the first hotel we had stayed in when we returned to the UK. I explained this when we booked, and also asked for a quiet room overlooking the gardens.

Whilst I had no complaints with the room we were initially given, it overlooked the car park rather than the garden so I asked if this could be changed, which happened the following day. The new room was smaller (we had our young daughter in the room with us) and although it overlooked the garden it also overlooked a building site and we were woken at 8am sharp (or earlier) by the noise of heavy machinery.

The hotel wi-fi is slow, and there was an option to upgrade to a "Premium" service - this came at a cost, and actually proved worse than the original service. After several complaints to receptions, e-mails to the company, phone calls, and even running diagnostic attempts on their behalf, I eventually had to inform my colleagues that I would be out of contact until I got back home. Needless to say, this caused much frustration on a supposedly relaxing celebratory holiday!

Several other issues were encountered during our stay - disappointingly long waits to be seated at breakfast, the buffet running out of items and not being replenished, orders taken for tea and coffee and not being served, as well as having to pay to leave my car in the hotel's own car park, and my wife being woken by random phone calls through the night to name a few.

After highlighting these matters to the hotel, they offered a 50% reduction off published tariff for a future stay, but in reality this would be easy to achieve by using the likes of Laterooms or HotelConnexions anyway, so we were left feeling very disappointed.

After staying here for over 20 years we will not be returning again.

The only plus point of our stay was the reception staff who were generally very helpful and friendly, but unfortunately not to the extent that it could rescue our stay.

Room Tip: Ask whether there is any building work going on around the hotel, and take a room away from that. Ro...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear thetallguy67,

Thank you for posting your review and I'm sorry that you were disappointed. Our staff tried to acknowledge the complaints you reported and their offer of a 50% discount is worthwhile as we do not offer cheaper rates to other websites and genuinely wanted to encourage you to return.

I do hope that you will take up our offer.

Kind regards, Vince

Write a ReviewReviews (3,155)

Reviewed October 11, 2013

I stay in Harogate 2 or 3 times a year on business but it is a few years since I last stayed at The Majestic. Normally I stay in The Crown or The Yorkshire.
It is greatly improved since my last stay. The room I had, 260, looks like it has had a quality makeover in recent times.
The staff on reception were very friendly. The formal dinner was fine and served well by an attentive team.
Breakfast was good - wide selection of fresh fruit and a well cooked buffet selection.
I'll certainly be considering The Majextic for my next visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Choyp,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really pleased that you have noticed the improvements we have made since 2012 when we became a Puma Hotel.

Room 260 is one of our Premium rooms and was fully refurbished in 2009 along with 30 others on the same scheme.

I do hope that we can become your first choice for future business trips to Harrogate.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the majestic in Harrogate as part of a conference. We were there for 2 days. Free wifi throughout the hotel. Pool, jacuzzi and sauna all great. Gym looked ok but never used it.

We are out at an excellent Thai restaurant called Sukothai one evening and ate in the hotel on the 2nd night because of the function. Evening dinner was ok but nothing special, however it was a set menu as part of the function. Breakfast was very good.

I had a premium room which was very very comfortable with a great bed.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jessmjc,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel and for sharing some great pictures of Room 162, which is our adapted room.

I do enjoy Sukhothai as well though there is also the Orchid Restaurant which I think just pips it.

Hopefully when you return you can try them our and see what you think.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The spa bath did not work and asked discount on the room as it was substandard. Duty manager told me that on arrival we were upgraded to a higher quality room and we could not be given discount on the room rate for the price we were paying.and that we could get complementary drinks instead. As neither of us drank alcohol I told him this was unfair so he said this applied to soft drinks also. I told him this was unacceptable but he was uncompromising. The problem was temporarily fixed the following day and I reported the fault again on checking out. The hotel still tried to charge us for teas and coffees and also a parking fee both of which I refused to pay and the amount was taken off the bill. Very disappointed with the attitude of one person which marred what could have been a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel if you expect value for money, think twice if you don't. It's a disgrace...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Mr Optimum,

Thank you for posting your review and I'm sorry that you felt us to be unfair for not providing a discount when the spa bath didn't work. We did fix it the next day and offered a gesture in the form of some drinks.

It's very unfortunate as we had applied a free upgrade to one of our best rooms to you. Only 4 of our 170 rooms have spabaths.

I do hope this won't prevent you from returning.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Having read reviews prior to our stay I was slightly worried about our weekend away, I didn't need to, the Majestic is a wonderful hotel, our room was very clean, modern, lovely soft bed, beautiful bathroom, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the food was great, I really can't think of anything negative to say. We will be booking another stay soon. Thanks to the Majestic Team

Room Tip: We stayed in room 256, nice and quiet, lovely décor, great bathroom
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jane p

Dear jane p,

Thanks for your great review and can;t ask for better than that !

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

The hotel is a splendid, grand and historic building and the rooms are spacious, well decorated and appointed, although the bathroom in ours was a little cramped, would of helped if the door opened out!.

The staff, along with all the people we had dealings with in Harrogate were extremely pleasant and helpful, nothing was to much trouble.

One downside was the food, we were booked in with a party and ate the first night in the restaurant, the menu was limited for a 4 star hotel, the presentation wasn't best and my Cod was well over cooked. On the second night we ate in the Ballroom at the function we had gone to attend, there were 100 people in a room that could hold at least 150 but we were still crammed 10 to a table that should of had 8 on it and again the food was over cooked.

One definite bonus is the spa, my partner & I both like the Gym and swim and we had the place almost to ourselves in the mornings.

Overall the stay was good, I would stay there again but I wouldn't eat in the Hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ian1528

Dear Ian1528,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm happy that you had an enjoyable stay and sorry that you didn't have good dinner experiences. We do usually receive more favourable feedback generally though I do appreciate you giving us some specific detail which we take on board.

Not sure on the function table plan though this is often decided by the organiser rather than ourselves as I agree and would always give as much space as possible.

Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had a very pleasant overnight stay at the aptly named, Majestic Hotel on Sunday. Our only hiccup was at our 3pm check-in when we found our room wasn't yet ready. This was soon put right and gave us the opportunity to enjoy a complimentary coffee in the sunshine on the terrace overlooking the extensive grounds.

Our spacious room on the first floor was and gave views over the gardens and town.The ensuite included a deep bath with superb large shower. There was also the very useful and free wi-fi.

Breakfast was a self service affair in the large opulent dining room and provided a comprehensive choice with an excellent cooked full English.

Harrogate is a lovely town and this hotel is well located to use as a base to explore the nearby Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors - they even had some great looking walking guides on sale at reception!

I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mike L

Dear MikeLaw,

Thank you for your review of the Majestic Hotel. It was a pleasure to read of your enjoyment and you're right, we do have some great walking books available for sale.

The Dales is a delight to explore and one of many reasons to visit Harrogate.

Hoping to see you back soon, Vince