“Excellent short break at the Majestic”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We booked a short 3 night stay at the Majestic for my partners 50th birthday. Booking in advance got a great deal and we were upgraded,FOC. Big clean suite with very well appointed bathroom. Faultless service, restaurant manager was very helpful as were all the staff. Wonderful breakfast selection, evening meals were OK but were inc in room price so reasonable.

Were aware of building work at adjacent conference centre but not really an issue. Excellent venue to explore Harrogate.

We had a very good break and will re book and use as a base to visit York.

Good value for money cf current B&B prices.

Room Tip: Room 135 is lovely
1  Thank florin2013
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear florin2013,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. What a great start to your TA review profile. Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards, Vince

Write a ReviewReviews (3,196)

Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed here on a wwkend break through Woman & Home magazine. This included an evening meal and this was nice, starter, main & desert with 3 choices at each course. Ambience was relaxed with a piano playing in the dining room. Went to the bar afterwards and it is ok but the taped music is repetitive and boring. Breakfast is buffet style with lots of choice, i had poached eggs cooked to order and these were just right. Leisure suite is not very good and there is need for improvement, sauna is seperate with one each in male/female changing so my husband and I could not enjoy the sauna together (strange). Jacuzzi was ok and the pool was not entrhalling and there is no room to relax after a swim - this needs improving to stay up with the star value. Our room was ok, though smelt damp when we entered. 2 steps up to the large bathroom. Generally clean and tidy but not exceptional. Our room was quiet with no passing people or traffice.

Room Tip: Our room was 117, quiet but no view from the room - overlooked the tennis court.
1  Thank Anne236

Dear Anne236,

Thank you for your kind review and for sharing your feedback. It really is appreciated and is helpful to us.

Hoping to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Everything was seemless and because of that it makes it difficult to pick fault,which I can't . Went to check on one of my properties and oversee works being done. Staying here made the whole experience that much more bearable .
First class

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Simbayo

Dear simbayo,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel and looking at the gun in your profile picture I'm very glad you had a great business stay !

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We were really disappointed with this hotel, it looks quite majestic and there are aspects of the hotel which are majestic but the staff were very rude and unhelpful! The room smtlt damp and dudnt feel clean, it was skdo really small. The hotel was noisey all night with people coming in from being out. There was someone arguing on the phone outside the front doors for along time and was never approached by a member of staff and Someone being sick out of a window all kept for a sleepless night. The breakfast was disappointing to say the least! All the food was picked over and the buffet tables were a mess! No milk, had to wait ages for a member if staff to appear to fill it up while people were waiting. Great location but I think it attracts groups/stags/hens which don't allow a good night sleep.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Hyde-de-boo
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Hydede-boo,

Thank you for posting your review and sorry to hear that you were disturbed by others. We honestly don't usually suffer such issues as you mention and our staff are usually found to be very helpful and pleasant.

If you didn't complete our online survey at the time then do let me know.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were sadly disappointed with our recent stay.

When staying in this area we would normally have stayed at Rudding Park, however on this occasion for social reasons we decided to stay near the centre. Based upon the excellent reviews on trip advisor and the hotel website we selected this hotel.

After parking in the car park we approached the hotel. We joked that it was a little "house on haunted hill" as it was clearly modelled on the Victorian Work house / infirmary design. Not given to judging a book by its cover and realising that one man's monstrosity is another's listed building we went on undeterred.

The communal areas of the hotel we much as you would expect take your pick from "period" or chintzy / slightly shabby.

We were given a room on the first floor. After both of us had tripped over a loose flap of carpet we found our room. Despite the light spacious and modern rooms depicted on the web site, the room was awful. As a student I spent a summer youth hostelling abroad and can honestly say that I have never seen a room like this. It was 40 degrees centigrade, tiny, shabby and filled with brick a brac furniture. An old iron radiator with paint flaking off it was falling off the wall and to top it all the bed in this double room was smaller than one of our single beds at home.

We phoned reception who were very friendly and apologetic (I am guessing that they get this a lot) and immediately offered us another room. We took all of our luggage back down to reception and were given a room on the 4th floor. I showed the lady on reception the picture of a standard double room on the web site and asked if it would look anything like that. She looked at me as though I was mad and replied "I don't know what the rooms look like, I'm not a house keeper". Clearly a moment of terrible customer care, but as I walked around the corner I couldn't help laughing at this Fawlty Towers esk moment of (unintended) comedy genius.

Needless to say the room was the same as the previous had been except with a full sized double bed this time. I called reception again and was handed to a senior colleague. She was very pleasant and when I asked if there was any point viewing any more rooms, she assured me that given time she could find me a room which was up to the standard I was expecting. It appears that the hotel has renovated a number of its rooms, however given that a member of staff was now running around all of the remaining rooms in the hotel to inspect them, I can only assume that they forgot to keep a note of the room numbers.

After approx. 1 hour we were shown to an upgraded premium double room. The standard of the décor was similar to the advertised "standard double" but the room was smaller and was still like a furnace. we noted that this had been mentioned in previous bad reviews and that the manager had responded to say that they had plenty of fans. We therefore took a chance of requesting a fan, but alas they were all on loan. Our sleep quality was very poor as aside from the bed being very uncomfortable, it is only a metre or so from the door, meaning that people are walking past your head every few minutes.

The other main criticism was the breakfast. The menu claims it to be "the perfect breakfast" however the array of cremated hash browns and raw sausages did not fulfil this aspiration for us.

The only other facility we used (having decided not to use the rather small swimming pool - whose only presence was clear to "tick the box") was the beauty rooms where we had a couples full body massage. This was excellent! The only draw back was a lack of double couples treatment rooms. The ladies should be congratulated for establishing an oasis of quality.

All joking aside I do not find it acceptable that this hotel has chosen to advertise its rooms in such a misleading way. If a significant proportion of its accommodation varies so widely then this should be reflected honestly in the web site. I would recommend that Puma takes emergency action to renovate this hotel and address these issues before it has driven away all of its customers.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, book another hotel
3  Thank D C

Dear DC,

Thank you for sharing your feedback and sorry to hear that you will most likely be returning to Rudding Park.

I do appreciate you sharing your views and take these fully on board.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights and could not fault any part of our stay, great location for getting around Harrogate, cannot wait to come back. Standards of staff and services first class and make you feel welcome and valued.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank holystone25

Dear Holystone25,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel and hoping to welcome you back soon for another enjoyable visit.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have just returned from a four night break and found the hotel gorgeous, spotlessly clean and well maintained and the staff could not have been more helpful. On arrival I asked to see one or two available rooms because I wanted one which was quite spacious and the Receptionist who showed me round could not have done more to make sure that the room I chose was what I wanted.

OK the bedroom furniture could be updated but it was functional and the bed very comfortable. At every turn the staff were anxious to please and the food in the restaurant was of an exceptional standard. I shall certainly visit this 'grand old lady' again.

Room Tip: Just tell Reception what you want - they aim to please
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Jelasa

Dear Jelasa,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel and hoping to welcome you back soon.