“Helpful staff - comfortable beds”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Plymouth, Devon
“Helpful staff - comfortable beds”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We visited at the beginning of July and, as other contributors, found the gardens being covered in marquees for a forthcoming event. The food was good - other than the chicken tikka which my husband found very ordinary. The service was good and the staff helpful. One in particular (Richard) found out information about the North York Moors Railway and put under our door. Thank you Richard. This hotel has seen better days. We had one of the non refurbished bedrooms but it was OK and the bed was comfortable. There was always plenty of hot water which meant my husband could have a lovely bath! The downside of the room was that there was no air conditioning and when we visited, in early July, it was very hot. However the windows were large and you could open them fully and there was a small fan provided in the room so we did manage to cool down. The pool is small so don't expect to do any serious swimming.
( If you are booking through the Diamond Resort company, as we did, just be aware that this is not up to the standard that we have found in the resorts.)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear graunty,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm glad that you had an enjoyable stay and that Richard went above and beyond. He will appreciate your acknowledgement and is a real asset to our business.

Thankfully the extreme temperatures seen this July are very rare for us in Yorkshire though I think that fan makers have had a boom in business.

Kind regards, Vince

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Booked through booking.com - paid for premimum room, double, total cost 159 excluding breakfast (purchased this at the hotel for 9.50 each). Location good as just a little walk to the centre. Think we chose a bad time of year as they had just had a show on the grounds so there were huge marquees and railings everywhere in the midst of being taken down, which was a shame as I wasn't aware when I booked this and the grounds are supposed to be lovely. Perhaps wouldnt have paid somuch for one night stay had I have known....

Hotel reception were helpful on check in, room was very large - stayed in 164, had a very big bathroom with jacuzzi bath which was nice. Only complaint with room really was the view - would have been lovely to over looked the garden rather than car park although the huge marquees probably wouldn't have made it that much better! One window wasn't able to open (apparently fire safety?!?!), and the room was very hot. Luckily found a fan in the end so helped a bit but did make nights sleep a little unpleasant.

Bed was big and comfy, room was clean and decoration was traditional and nice.

No milk available in the room for the tea and coffee but assume this was an accidental miss....

Breakfast was fantastic and in a beautiful dining room. Large choice, pretty much anything you can think of can be catered for, and staff at breakfast were lovely.

I had a pedicure and a massage in the hotel spa which I would highly recommend and was really the reason I chose this partcular hotel. Spa staff were chatty and friendly and very good at their job. I am One happy pregnant lady thank you!!

So aside the huge white tents surrounding the hotel, the only other real criticism I have - and I overheard other guests saying the same, was that despite paying159 pounds for a room for one night, they had the cheek to charge you 3.50 per day to park your car there.... I think this is rather tight Mr Majestic Hotel (Puma Hotels....) and is definitely not something I would expect from a 4 star hotel. Particularly as there is little choice in parking anywhere else...

• Stayed July 2013
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear MlBurton123,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very pleased to hear of the many positive aspects of your stay and hope that we can welcome you back soon.

We do place guest advisory messages on Booking.com regarding the marquees so as not to surprise anyone on this annual event.

Leamington Spa
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at the Majestic for one night on our way to a stay in the Scottish highlands. I chose the hotel because of many good memories of the hotel from growing up in the area.
On arrival at the hotel we could not stop the car anywhere near the entrance and were told by the doorman not to leave the car at the nearest point we could get to. We asked where we could park and were told that there was nowhere to park and to try to find somewhere on the street. The door staff and reception staff were very unhelpful and gave the impression that they did not care whether we stayed at the hotel or not.
No one offered to help with bags or show us to our room. I have mobility problems as I have recently had knee replacement surgery. Luckily we only had overnight bags. I could not have managed if I had been on my own.
When we asked if we could get afternoon tea it was suggested that we walked into town and had tea at Betties!
My husband spoke to the manager and eventually got somewhere to park. We had to take a taxi to meet relatives for dinner as we would not have been able to park on our return in the evening. My cousin drove us home after dinner but had to park on the road as he would have had to pay to leave the car park if he dropped us near the entrance.
What a pity that such a beautiful hotel has come to this!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gillian W
Dear Gillian W,

Thank you for posting your review and I'm sorry that you were disappointed. If you would care to provide some further detail to me I would appreciate being able to understand your experience and ensure we are able to learn from the points you raise.

My email address is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Many thanks, Vince

Travelers are raving about these Harrogate hotels

Wimborne
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Majestic by name and Majestic inside. The Hotel certainly lived up to its name. The downside was the gadens being covered in tentage for a forthcoming event. The food was excellent and the service well above the standqrd expected. The bedrooms were extremely well frnished and the beds very comfortable. The hot water in the bathroom was always hot which was very welcome. Overall a very comfortable and friendly hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tonyis,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really pleased that we exceeded your expectations and hope to welcome you back soon.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We booked this hotel whilst visiting the Home and Gift show as a 'treat' as we normally stay in a beautiful B & B out of town. Whilst it is convenient for the show, there was no air conditioning, or mini bar to keep drinks cool in this hot weather, one small bottle of water with two glasses were left on the table in full sun when we arrived and the second day, this was left half finished in the same spot, internet connection wasn't working, and no blinds at the windows which overlook the marquees so had get dressed in the dark, or put all the lights on! The newly refurbished lounge/bar areas are nice, as is the building and architecture of the hotel itself, but it needs serious updating, and could look just a little cleaner in the older parts of the hotel. Back to the B & B next year!

Room Tip: As for air conditioning and mini bar if they are available
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GillyG G
Dear Gilly G,

Thank you for posting your review and I'm sorry that you'll be returning to your out of town B&B for next year's Home and Gift. Many visitors prefer the ease of location and this year did see some exceptional temperatures for the first (and probably last) time in a decade.

We've never had air conditioning though do have fans available and windows which open.

Many thanks, Vince
Bimingham
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Firstly I’d like to state that there isn’t anything wrong with the hotel physically, as it’s quite beautiful actually, only the hotel staff, customer service and food really let it down - lots of training is needed, better leadership is required and the culture needs to be improved.

Over a year ago I had chosen the Harrogate International Centre (HIC) as the venue for a large charitable conference in June. For our VIPs, National Executives and staff staying in Harrogate I selected The Majestic Hotel for my guests to stay overnight.

Prior to our stay I visited the hotel for a recce and was really impressed – the overall appearance was magnificent and it offered everything we needed to complete our stay – it was also 5 minutes’ walk from the HIC.

To secure our booking in February (4 months before our stay) I had diligently completed the Credit Application Form and I promptly emailed this back to the hotel – a credit check takes minutes to do. Since my efficiency I had been in close correspondence with hotel staff, Katherine Mansfield, Events Manager, on aspects of our booking and with arrangements for an evening meal in a private room. During this time, I had thought the customer service was faultless and Katherine was very helpful (from a personal view she’s an asset to the hotel).

At no point did the hotel highlight any problems or was missing any paperwork - I had made it clear on the phone and on email that I wished to be invoiced after the event; however their accounts department FORGOT to process our credit application – the hotel has since confirm this was the case and apologised. Although this only came to light when my ‘VIP’ guests checked-in and were asked for their credit cards to secure the reservation – this was horrifying and reflected badly on me and I could have done with not having the added stress. Needless to say everyone (over 30 people) checked-in and it was up to ME to get the matter resolved, whilst at the same time attending meetings at the HIC. Frustratingly, I was given a fabulous room, but my stay was marred by their customer service and instead of writing a glowing review and how wonderful the room was, I have to report the opposite.

I felt after THEIR error, but possibly there was some assumption on my part that the form was processed, the reservation staff were very hostile with me and treated me quite poorly, totally ignoring the fact the hotel was fully booked (and not to mention all the other hotels in Harrogate being fully booked) thanks to me and the event that I arranged at the venue next door. The reservation staff threatened me and said that I should pay the total bill on my credit card (which was not possible) or else they would take paying from all guests’ credit cards – I felt in light of their error this was a totally unacceptable way of dealing with a customer.

The Majestic should have acknowledged THEIR error at the time and made special allowances to invoice us after the event – instead the hotel at the time dug their heels in and made my stay more stressful, at one point I was in tears. The hotel did later invoice me after our stay but demanded payment within 7 days or else they’ll take paying off my guest’s cards – threatening me again!

Moreover, due to the hotel being fully booked, there were leaks in some of the rooms which meant one of my guests who arrived later that evening had to be moved to a hotel a few miles away – the Majestic paid for her taxi at least. But, that was further rubbing salt in my wounds from the earlier dispute.

PRIVATE DINING

After the trauma earlier and the stress of organising the event the next day, I was really looking forward to unwinding during our evening meal in the Reading Room. It was a lovely room and a pleasant view out of the windows.

The meal was part of the dinner, bed and breakfast rate; however I was sadly disappointed with the quality of food and the criticism raised by my guests were:

Starter:
*Tomato soup with croutons - was served without croutons (apparently they ran out)
*Salmon and cucumber tian with caper salsa - lacked a lot of flavour – but there were prawns in it and one of my guests was allergic to prawns and was disappointed this was not stated on the menu – she had the soup instead

Main meal:
*Baked chicken breast with roasted root vegetables & colcannon mash potatoes - was flavourless; there were only two little carrots and two little parsnips on the plate, the chicken was dry and the gravy was tasteless.
*Four cheese risotto with salsa verde, topped with parmesan shavings - was very undercooked and lacked flavour.

Dessert:
* Profiteroles filled with Bailey’s custard cream, served with warm chocolate sauce for my dessert - presented on the night were profiteroles filled with standard (not Bailey’s) cream and with cold (not hot) chocolate sauce that was cemented to the plate.

POST STAY REMARKS

All I can say is that the hotel staff needs lots of training; in how to deal with customers, improve the language they use to not be hostile, being able to handle the pressures of a busy hotel and they should not take their errors and their problems out on their customers.

I have stayed in enough hotels in my time through work and pleasure and have never been treated with contempt like I have at The Majestic.

The General Manager, Vince Johnson, offered me a two night stay courtesy of the hotel, but out of principle I declined the offer.

Sadly, for such a lovely hotel in Harrogate and having already stayed at a few other hotels in the town, I shall not stay at The Majestic again and will go elsewhere in future, unless the culture of customer service changes.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Lisa-Marie1980
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Lisa-Marie1980,

Thank you for posting your review and again I would reiterate my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and upset caused in us not processing your credit application in a timely fashion. This is an extremely rare situation that I have not before encountered in my 10 years running the hotel.

It was a human error on our part which we did acknowledge and I'm sorry that our attempts at suggesting an alternative were felt to be threatening. This was never our intention though I do feel we could have been more flexible and I am glad that ultimately we invoiced you after the event and appreciated your prompt payment. There were certainly some lessons learnt and I'm sure that a simialr situation if it were to ever reoccur, would be handled differently.

There was a leak affecting one bedroom and the lady concerned was offered a room at the nearest hotel within walking distance though preferred another a few miles away with her friends and we made the necessary arrangements very appreciative of her understanding.

I am really sorry that you have been left feeling this way and my offer to return was meant genuinely as a gesture of apology. We have very many regular and long standing event clients and I do hope that in future years we can rebuild your faith in us.

Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We spent a very uncomfortable night here on the 16th July. Temperatures were high in the bedroom due to the unusually hot British summer and we had to have the windows opened all night. Due to the air conditioning units being used to keep the Home and Gift Fair marquees cool there was a terrible noise. (Pity there was no air conditioning or even a fan in our room). If there had been a mini bar/ or small fridge in the room we could have tried drinking cold water but the complimentary water was so warm it was undrinkable. The food in the restaurant was dire. The staff in the restaurant were very kind and considerate. It is a great pity the 'chef' was not up to their standards. One particular member of the reception staff was most unhelpful; the others were nice.
The whole hotel could do with a good coat of paint, hence "tired and distressed old lady".
Despite the kind restaurant staff we would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Christine P
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Christine P,

Thank you for posting your review and for choosing to stay with us overnight. I'm sorry that your room was warm. We do have fans available on request and have started leaving curtains closed in our sun facing rooms to try and counter the soaring temperatures.

We do take guest feedback very seriously and discussions over that evenings dinner service have been undertaken. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.