“Perfectly pleasant”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I and my family were here for two one-night stays (using it as a stop-off to and from our summer holidays). The whole experience, in summary, was perfectly pleasant.

When we arrived for our first stay, we were a bit taken aback to find the carpark absolutely chock full, but the doorman stepped forward to point us round to the front of the hotel, where we would find a space. Our room was a suite, with the sofa bed opened out for the children. The bathroom was lovely and big, and very clean. We did not eat dinner at the hotel but it is so close to the main shopping centre and restaurants, we just went out for food. I was a bit concerned that night, as there was a wedding reception in the hotel just below us, but we honestly didn't hear a thing, so either there's good sound-proofing or the wedding guests were very quiet...

Breakfast the next morning was such a nice surprise - the children were so excited about the immensely huge dining room and the massive variety of food. We dined like kings on the cooked breakfast, fruit, cereal, yogurt, toast and pastries. I was a bit surprised to be greeted by the £3.50 car-parking charge and would argue that, no matter how much the hotel thinks it's perfectly normal to charge for car-parking, I do not believe it is acceptable to charge so much for a room, and then charge travellers to park.

Our next one-night stay was in the family room, which didn't seem to be any different in size from the suite, although the bathroom was considerably smaller, which is a bit odd. You'd have thought there should be more room in a family bathroom... Anyway, that's not really a criticism so much as an observation. What I WOULD criticise is the height of the sink and toilet, in a FAMILY room. This can't be changed, but the simple addition of a stepping stool for wee ones would show the hotel might have given a little thought as to the sort (and size) of people staying in that room. The towels were hung on a rail above the bath, too, totally out of the reach of younger ones, though our six-year-old did show some initiative by clambering into the bath to retrieve them...

We used the swimming pool, which was lovely, and were again hugely grateful for the fantastic breakfast the next morning. The hotel was very busy on this occasion, and the dining rom very full, so it it is indicative of the sheer size of the room that, despite, the numbers of guests milling about filling their plates, it never felt too overcrowded.

I have no complaints about this hotel, and would happily stay here again -- I would like to point out, however, that when I was checking out, I did overhear another couple who had been forced to pay for a dinner they had been told was part of a deal. Whatever the truth of their assertion, I was a bit unimpressed by the response of the woman on reception, who continually pointed out their error, despite their obvious displeasure. Good customer service would perhaps have conceded and just given them the meal...?

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Dear Bizzles,

Thank you very muich for psoting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really pleased you had an enjoyable stay and appreciate you sharing your observations.

Hopefully we can welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for The Majestic Hotel

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Don't be fooled by the website photos. This hotel is in serious need of modernisation.

The rooms are dull and depressing. Felt like I was in a prison cell. I was just glad I was there for the one night.

The bathroom also needs redecorating. When I waked in there was a long hair in the bath, which I thought was disgusting.

Sorry nothing good to say about this hotel apart from location.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank 23Sweets

Dear 23 Sweets,

Thank you for your review and very sorry that you were unhappy with certain aspects of your stay.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

having been to most Barcelo/now Puma hotels- some more than once- we can compare like with like. Being one of the oldest large Hotels in the UK, we compare Harrogate to the Buxton Palace with better facilities.2 efficient Lifts to all floors. good quality carpeting along our corridor.We got a lovely (Premier Room) no robes or slippers but couldnt be bothered to chase this trivial item up....we were on the 4th floor with a large bathroom and although the fixtures were dated and the shower curtain smelt like an old dish cloth which gave off a pong to the whole room if we didnt keep the door shut,we would accept this level in a slightly tired 4*. we read the reminder about towels/the environment and had to chuckle. if we leave our towels on the heated rail or the floor or in the bath they ALL ALWAYS get changed EVERY DAY. Like other reviewers, no fridge would always be an issue. Our room was quiet at night(as requested before arrival but not allocated until check-in after much discussion amongst Reception staff.) the KS dbl bed was comfy with good bedside reading lighting and the curtains were heavy and fit the space- bonus-and the view of Harrogate was most pleasant. However- not a blade of grass could be seen of the massive gardens as marquees had been erected in anticipation of the Craft and Yorkshire Show events taking place the following week.For H+S reasons the Works access was manned by Security all day and pedestrian access to Town was restricted but not a major problem.
WARNING a Premier Inn is under construction from 8am-@1700 at the front of the Majestic so relaxing in the room was virtualy impossible There is alot of on-going scaffolding and work being done to the back of the Hotel too ( overlooking the Car Park and Bins). Being a Conference Hotel, I do not think the parking fee is excessive but when our visitors arrived, they simply presented their ticket to Reception for Free exit pass
We enjoyed the plentiful Breakfast (porage/porridge to order not shown on menu). VERY hot plates-but some items on hot buffet were cool because the heating lights above had failed. we noticed that on the 1st morning and brought it to the Maitre d attention but it was still not fixed on our last day.(still not fixed?) We enjoyed an Evening Meal here which was what you anticipate of a 4* in a place like Harrogate and open to non-residents both food standard and prices quite high.
The Leisure facility had a good sized pool -if you can ignore the scum glinting in the sunlight-clean lazy area with a couple of loungers, chairs and tables no Steam room- and the small and very hot saunas are in the Male/Female changing rooms. no chance for a couple to relax together.Like so many Hotels with a Club at least one facility was out of action for our stay- this time the Jacuzzi :( as for implementing the "shower before entering pool "rule is abused . Dirty creatures! wish the attendants would make a point of reminding people when they hand out towels- and shame on you Club members who should know better !and note to Management- get a poolside automatic shower installed.
we will return to the Majestic for our next stay in Harrogate- but will get assurances of room allocation in advance.
p.s those with mobility issues need strong helpers to negotiate the steep hill up/down from this Hotel and around the Town

Room Tip: with 2 small +efficient lifts and one level corridors access is not an issue BUT our room 440 did ha...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank deb k

Dear deb k,

Thank you for posting your review and for comemnting on so many aspects of your stay. I'm sure it will prove helpful for other visitors.

The good news is that your room was a standard room so it must have been good as we had no free upgrades left at check in., hence the lack of bathrobe. It's a good size though and so high up with great views over the town so I can understand your assumption.

Next time lets hope you can have one of fully refurbished Premium Rooms as members of our Leisurebreaks Club. Just let me know when you next book.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed for work - the first night I was with my husband and so had a double (since found out it was a premium double) and it was lovely, just what I'd expect of a 4*. Beautiful bathroom, robes, nice selection of teas coffees etc.

I then moved to a single - for the sake of £30 less it is so so poor (I'm writing this as I'm lying in my sad room here) the bathroom is depressing, stained shower curtain, rusty head on the shower itself, the bath hasn't been cleaned. I complained and they showed me a standard double (thinking it would be like night one) nope - it was twice the dreadfulness of this room.

The location is great, but do not rely on the website for what you'll get. I wish I'd stayed in the first room that was like a 4* hotel this one is like a grim b&b and it does feel like its got a real split, check what room you'll be getting because it makes no difference to the price you'll be paying a lot! I think the first room was a superior double - I don't think it's worth coming here for any less of a room. I got a deal with work and my single was £122 - I shouldn't have paid anything more than £60
Misleading website.
I will be coming to Harrogate again, I'm really not sure if I'd come back here though.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if its for anything less that the top end rooms, if its too much stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear tcrawf,

Thank you for your review and my apologies that you were disappointed with the single room provided.

Your visit was to attend the Home and Gift Fair which is the largest event Harrogate hosts with all hotel rooms sold out in the town. This is why the rate was so high and we do have 20 single rooms which are small.

Fortunately or unfortunately we provided you with a free upgrade on the first night with your husband to a Premium Room so I do appreciate the difference between the two. I know that on your departure our Duty Manager has made a discount in acknowledging the shower head and curtain issues.

If you are attending next year's show then do get in touch and I will oversee your booking and room allocation and provide my best assistance and advice.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

i booked our stay for the great yorkshire show over a week in advance.it was booked through expedia.i paid on my card and recieved a booking confirmation email and booking reference number .payment had been taken.i know how busy harrogate is over the great yorkshire show week so i picked to stay at this hotel as i thought it was a 4 star reputable hotel. we arrived to check in at 9pm,after travelling,very excited about a lovely couple of days.parking was full but we managed to squeeze in. i got to reception ,check in member of staff barely looked up to say "sorry we haven't received your booking,it keeps happening,we are full up" it was 9pm.he didn't even attempt to come to the counter to speak,just stayed at his desk at the back mumbling about it being "expedias fault,it keeps happening". he would have seen us walk out into the night had we not asked to see the duty manager.who after a length of time and messing about found us a room in the hotel up the road.we were told,"luckily you wont have to pay any more towards it ".i had paid £130 for the non existent room! it was now after 10 pm,and i think what got me the most was no member of staff even helped carry a bag in or out or open a door or anything,just a lot of sitting behind the desk saying this keeps happening.i believe the group is being run by adminisrators for the bank.i could only loose £130.but what if my party had been bigger,where would we have gone.i certainly wouldn't risk a celebration or wedding booking on this group.they didnt care a bit .

Room Tip: booking a room is like playing roulette. you never know!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank susiegLancashire

Dear susiegLancashire,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issue which led to us not having a room for you last week. The error was on our part, and I can honestly assure you is not ahppening all the time.

We have a strong relationship with Expedia who rpovide us with thousands of guests each year and incidents of this nature are extremely rare. The gentleman on Reception is providing some relief cover for us and had only been with us a week when you stayed. Our new Reception Manager starts in early August.

I'm glad that our Duty Manager managed to secure you a room overnight at the Cairn Hotel just across the road from us and again apologise for our error in processing your booking.

If you would be so kind as to make contact over email I will offer you a free room for next year's show. My email address is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk .

For clarity we are not being run by administrators. We operate as Puma Hotels with 20 hotels around the uk. The best way to book a hotel is on their own website and the rates are invariably the same or better than other travel sites.

I do hope we can welcome you to the hotel on or before next year's show and assure you that your experience was extremely rare.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We booked a Premium Double room, and were generally pleased. It was very clean, spacious and comfortable. It lacked a fridge (the weather was very hot and the gratis bottles of water provided were unpleasantly warm as a consequence. Normally probably not a problem though), which I thought was probably standard for a prestigious hotel. The room lacked wi-fi, although it was available in the general lounge. Again, the lack of this was a bit surprising, but not critical. Breakfast was generally excellent, with a very wide choice of good quality food. Some effort has clearly been put into the range and quality available. The exception here was the coffee which was so weak as to be undrinkable (for me). Otherwise I would emphasise that breakfast was excellent.

My main isssue was the service level. Something was missing from the room that should have been standard and is featured on the hotel's website as pertaining to Premium rooms. I asked for it to be supplied twice, several hours apart, but it was not provided. The second request was greeted rather sneerily, as though it was vaguely funny for me to ask for it. It was stated on this second time, that it was not possible to supply it, except maybe the Manager could find one. Apparently not. What was a trivial item became important to me as it revealed a 'can't do attitude' when something minor went wrong. Booking in was also a slightly bumpy ride. Clearly running a hotel of this size can't be easy, and staff away from the Reception were cheery and efficient. Pity the Reception staff let the rest down.

Car park charge, despite some adverse comments from other reviewers, I feel is good value. No complaints there.

To sum up- food, excellent. Cleanliness, excellent. Room, slightly disappointing with facilities, but overall very good. Service needs tightening up a notch. This visit has put me off Puma hotels generally which is a shame, as a lot of things were done well. I expect they have many satisfied customers.

Dear Mark A,

Thank you for posting your review which I found very interesting to read and well balanced. I'm really glad we got most things right and have been racking my brains as what the "it" that was missing the that caused the issue. If you let me know it would set my mind at ease and I could better understand why "it " proved so difficult to provide as we do want to be can do.

My email is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I stayed at the Hotel on the weekend of 13th July. When I arrived, my room was not ready so I had to wait in the bar and after a 3.5hr journey was not ideal as I needed to freshen up before attending a conference. I must point out that I arrived after the stated check in time.

I went to the bar and ordered a drink from the very miserable and quite rude girl behind the bar. I had no cash and was told that I could not put the drink on my room as I didnt have the key card even though I had been told what room I was in and could give her my room number. I then had to order 2 drinks to pay on card to take the value over £5.

When I got to my room, it was very small and very tired, more like a 2* hotel, I really am not sure where they gained the extra 2*`s from?? The bathroom smelt of damp and the walls paper thin.

Breakfast was a hot buffet and most of it was swimming in grease, I would definately avoid and go with the cerial option or even better head out into Harrogate and fine somewhere else to eat.

My advice would be to stay in the Holiday Inn just up the road, where my colleague was staying, much nicer, cleaner and alot less tired! The staff were much frendlier and the breakfast less greasy! I will be staying there if I ever have to return to Harrogate.

All in all, would I recomend The Majestic?....... No. I did not encounter one cheery member of staff during my stay, they were rude and looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but there, the room I stayed in was poor and I have stayed in better 2* B&B`s and breakfast was more of a greasy spoon cafe quality than 4* Hotel

3  Thank 123xlee

Dear 123xlee,

Thank you for your review and sorry to hear that you were unhappy though not so much as to mention it other than in this review.