“Majestic indeed.”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We decided to take a mini-honeymoon break in Harrogate and The Majestic turned out to be perfect. We ordered a premium room, but I believe they comped us up to a deluxe suite. The room was big, grand and clean. My wife loved it. The hotel itself lives up to its name in appearance outside and in. We ordered room service expecting something average, but the food was very good and quick too! Staff were obliging and friendly. Hotel is well located too.

It's a shame there wasn't much in the way of in room entertainment, and the pool isn't huge. But they're not complaints really. We had a great time and will return.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear BritGeek,

It was lovely to read your review and thank you for sharing your experience.

Hoping to welcome you back soon, Vince

Write a ReviewReviews (3,156)

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The Majestic is a beautiful Building, having a fabulous interior with a touch of yesteryear luxury, which is why I chose it as an Easter treat to ourselves and our Grandson.

Top marks must go to Housekeeping. Our room was elegant and it and the bathroom were spotless. Breakfast was wonderful, so much choice - eggs cooked to perfection, well done!

But! There is a Problem . A serious lack of communication within the Hotel, spoiled our much looked forward to stay there.

Somewhere along the line our booking (through an agent) had turned from, a double room with extra bed plus breakfast, to a double room with extra bed only - no breakfast. However, this was soon sorted out and we were quickly on our way to what turned out to be a lovely room. Unfortunately this confusion and a lack of communication between staff was to cause us a problem and a little embarrassment when we went for breakfast the next morning.

After waiting a few minutes queuing to be seated, a very nice young lady took our names, informed us that we were not on her list as having breakfast included in our stay and asked if would we like her to charge it to our room? Oh dear! We explained we had indeed booked B & B. So off she went to check out our status, leaving us somewhat embarrassed at the head of an ever lengthening queue of other guests waiting to be seated. Five minutes later she returned, apologize for the mix up and showed us to our seats...

Sadly this was not to be the end of the saga...... as the same thing happened again the next morning......

This time it left me angry as well as embarrassed, I certainly didn't enjoy the wonderful breakfast on offer. I just wanted to leave. We relayed our experiences to the front desk when we booked out but I'm not at all sure our concerns were taken seriously. We got a sort of, off handed, bored tone sort of apology, along with smile and a hope that we had a safe journey home...

But would I stay again? Yes. It's a beautiful, elegant Hotel, with comfortable, stylish, spotless rooms which, on the whole, is well run. I would give The Majestic a second chance in the hope that our comments at check out were indeed passed on and acted upon and communications and customer care within the hotel improved.

Room Tip: Our Room was 152
1  Thank Ceejaylo

Dear Ceejaylo,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I'm very glad that you chose us for this Easter stay and that you enjoyed the experience. I am sorry for the confusion over breakfast as you had originally booked a room only package and we had not reacted to the comment request on the booking.

Really glad it didn't affect your enjoyment and I'd advise any forthcoming guests to just clarify on check in as some of our partner sites can only sell room only board basis. It's always advised to book on our own Puma Hotels site if you want to be able to include breakfast, dinner or other little extras.

Hoping to see you back soon. Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had a lovely two night stay in a family room. Bathroom had been updated and room appeared clean. Was aware of noise from other rooms.
The children enjoyed using the pool and it was a great time to relax while they were occupied. Staff were very friendly.
Harrogate is much more an adult place to visit. We went to Lightwater Valley which all the children enjoyed.

Dear Spoon31,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really pleased that your family enjoyed their stay with us and hopefully we can welcome you back again later in the Summer.

Lightwater Valley is a great them park and my children love it and they also love the Forbidden Corner which is worth a google.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We booked two nights to celebrate my mum's 80th birthday, and she couldn't have been happier with her huge, luxurious room! We stayed in the family room next door with our 7 year old, and he too had a great time. The staff are exceptionally friendly and professional, from reception to the restaurant and bar. Mum and I had a manicure in the pampering salon (again, lovely staff!) whilst my husband took my son swimming. The hotel is well placed for shopping, though elderly people may be better getting the short taxi trip there and back to avoid walking up hills! Food was lovely. We have stayed in other 4 and 5 star hotels and breakfast here compares favourably. The building itself is beautiful and grand, without feeling stuffy. Many thanks to all the staff - we hope to return!

Room Tip: Upgrade to one of their refurbished rooms. You won't regret it. Reserve your table in the resta...
1  Thank LJAPreston
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear LJA Preston,

Thank you very much for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel and we're proud to be your first TA review.

I'm really happy to hear of the great service you experienced and hopefully we will welcome you back soon as Harrogate is even better in the Summer.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We have just returned from a very enjoyable stay at the Majestic .Staff were very helpful at all times.We had a good size room with super king size bed.Breakfast was excellent ,plenty of fresh fruit cereal bread and hot plate food.I would add that there was No car park charge as you got ticket validation at reception.A lovely hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Ger111,

Thank you so much for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, which was a pleasure to read.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed for one night with friends at beginning of April in a deluxe room which had been renovated room 363. The main dissappointment was the size of the bed, normally in most 4 star hotels I have stayed in a deluxe room would carry a king size bed. This bed i dont think was even a double ! probably a 4 ft bed ! although i didnt measure it, it was very small to say the least. The bedroom area was just so small and yet the bathroom was amazingly large ! Bathroom was clean and well prepared but we found the bedroom lacking considerably in cleanliness. The bed throw was badly marked, i dread to think what with. i think this may have just been overlooked by house staff but not good in a 4 star establishment. The room was lovely and warm which was great on a very cold night . We tried to contact room service for food on 2 occasions but unfortunately there was no reply so maybe that needs to be addressed by staff. Really good and bad at this hotel , the breakfast could not be faulted and the staff very attentive. a few tweaks to cleanliness and phone answering would make for a much better quality stay .

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe room for the upgraded bathrooms !
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear kerseygn,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very pleased to read that you were impressed with our new bathrooms though confused regarding the bed. I've bought lots of beds over the last 9 years here and the smallest double was a 1500mm wide bed which is classed as kingsize.

Room 363 was a fully refurbished room in 2011 and has a 1500 bed, albeit the bedroom dimensions are not our largest. All our rooms do differ slightly.

Thanks for the other feedback which we are working on to ensure everything is 100% for your next visit.

Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I like to start this review with one comment-

The staff at this hotel are excellent, they are always friendly and helpful, the food is also very good.

We have stayed at this hotel several times before when it used to be a Barcelo hotel and it has always been excellent, I have even recommended it to people I know.
The hotel is now a Puma hotel and while it's ok that's about all it is now, ok.
The rooms have always been of a very good standard, however this time when checked in we were asked if we would "like to upgrade for £20" to which we replied "no thanks the rooms are always very good", we were sadly mistaken, don't get me wrong it was ok but in the past they have always been very good, now it seems that very good cost you an extra £20!
This was made even worse when the gentleman next us was given a free upgrade to a double room from a single

For some reason guests at the Majestic have to pay to park on the hotel car park, when Barcelo ran the hotel it was about £3.00 for two nights which whilst it might be a bit odd is acceptable, now however for two nights it cost us £7.00, what's that about? I'm paying to stay somewhere and they are charging me to use the car park! There was no mention of how much the car park was when we booked the hotel.
If I charged my customers to use my car park when they come into see me they would not come back and sadly that is exactly what I will do - not go back again.

PROS:- the staff, the food and location are all excellent.

CONS:- rooms are not that good unless you pay an extra £20 and the CAR PARK CHARGES.

Room Tip: Pay £20 extra
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Magdaisace,

Thank you for posting your review and I'm very sorry that you were unhappy with the room allocated to you on this visit. Our parking fees are £3.50 per night and these have not increased in the last 5 years.

We have been in separate correspondence and I do look forward to organising your next stay with us.

Kind regards, Vince