“Nearly so Grand..” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Nearly so Grand..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights 26/27 March. We arrived earlier than the stated check in time and as such were not surprised to be told our room was not yet ready, however we came back almost 3 hours later to be told we still had no room available, we were given a voucher for drinks from the bar, but this really wasnt good enough as our journey had been longer than usual and we wanted to relax a little before dinner. Once in our rom however our spirits were sightly lifted, very large and quite well appointed, however, the heat can only be described as fierce with no way to regulate it, the bathroom was a completely different story, baltic!..no heat whatsoever, a phone call to reception assured us that they would have someone to sort it out straight away, which 15 minutes later they did, the bar manager walked in.??...he had a good look round the bathroom then told us that the radiator only works when the hot water for the shower is on...ok, so, we run the shower all night then.?..i dont really think so. Dinner was included on the first night of our stay, and the staff and service were excellent, very friendly and very efficent and its such a shame that the food they serve is so second rate...£25 for a 3 course dinner that i wouldnt have served to a dog...awful!..so much so it made my partner physically sick!...I cant recommend this hotel to anyone, and it really is a shame that the excellent staff they have our being let down so badly, its a grand building, but it seriously needs updating and it needs a chef who can actually cook!...I wouldnt stay here again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Lee A,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay. I'm very sorry that you did not have a pleasant experience and wish you had raised these issues with us.

Our radiators all have thermostatic valves allowing you to change the temperature and with the baltic temperatures we have had them on high. Some of our towel rails are hot water heated but not only when using hot water. I'm not sure what happened in this case and assume you left the bathroom door ajar.

We have a good team of chefs producing food in the hotel and I am sorry it was not to your liking though not to the degree where you would mention it to the serving staff. It would not be our food which would make your partner sick I can assure you and it's unfair to insinuate this.

If you'd like to contact me then I would happily look further into the detail behind your comments.

Kind regards, Vince v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We booked a family room in this rambling olde world hotel and were overwhelmed with its size and architecture. Ok if you wanted to find fault you could I mean it was sub zero outside and this place must be impossible to heat efficiently and there was the odd cold spot but there was a fan heater stored in wardrobe so they weren't in denial,
Staff very friendly. Pool small but very warm, If you are the sort of person that goes around straightening pictures you might not be taken with this place, but if you want something a bit different with a human side then grab it before it goes same way as the dinosaur and spangles.
A note on Harrogate itself, very nice and good selection of eateries but they hate children there, the mrs ,me and two offspring 15 and 14 were refused entry for an early evening drink in numerous pubs [ except Wetherspoons] Sad in 2013.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Francis O,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I'm very glad you had an enjoyable visit and as you correctly point out, we are a hotel full of feature and very much a human side.

I was very surprised to hear of the difficulties you'd found in some of the Town's bars. Having worked in the town for over 9 years I've not come across such a comment before. I honestly don't think that Harrogate hates teenagers though in our remit as those running licensed premises we have a duty to protect children from "harm" There are different interpretations though venues who do not sell food tend to be more averse to youngsters in my experience.

Many thanks for your kind feedback, Vince
Burnley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Spent 1 night 26thMarch 2013 here and was superb. The name of the hotel certainly suits everything about the place. Warm friendly reception in fact all staff at the hotel very courteous and couldn't do enough for us.TheTravelzoo deal of £99 for evening meal, bed, full English breakfast, use of leisure facilities with a bottle of wine thrown in with the room was fantastic value and would definitely stay there again. Short walk into Harrogate which is a brilliant shopping haven and of course you can't leave before enjoying a coffee at the famous Betty's tea shop!! Highly recommended hotel and short break if you like being pampered!!

Room Tip: No tips really as we only stayed for 1 night and more than happy with room 255
Dear mslancashire503927,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I'm very glad that you found your Travelzoo offer great value and had a super time.

It is the first time we have particpated in such a promotion and we sold out with over 450 stays booked within the first 5 days ! That should keep us busy for a while !

Sign up for offers on our website to get early notification of more great deals.

Hope we can welcome you back soon, Vince
North Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

Having stayed several times in the past, I have just stayed again for a Dinner Dance and my husband and I feel that this hotel has definately seen better days. On checking in, no one came and took my bags once I was dropped off as my husband needed to park the car in the uncleared snowy and icey car park. The room was at first glance OK- but on closer inspection lying in a very hot bath looking up at stains from a leak(?) on the ceiling and mould on the shower head didn't make for good viewing. Overall not as clean in the bathroom and bedroom...grit on carpet by dressing table, dust on skirtings, drip marks from sink on wall... A light fitting over the dressing table was broken with ligth shade hanging off and furnishing sads and dated. The sign in the bathroom stating "CAUTION- towel rail hot"....well I wish it had been switched on as the room was inadequately heated. We rang and requested a blanket and they brought us another duvet. This is the extent of the level of extra heating we needed. Toiletries in the bathroom- just the basics but no conditioner.
Breakfast was fine but nothing memorable and had to wait 5 mins to be taken to a table. I have just read a previous review about getting an omelette made to request.- Again the management aren't reading these reviews and taking note as nothing was mentioned to us as we sat down to eat. There seemed to be new carpets in the lounge areas and new chairs-a welcome from the older ones.
Upon leaving I wasn't asked if I'd had a pleasnt stay/was everything ok-(the usual parting comment), nor a thank you for staying and yet charged £3.50 for parking in an uncleared carpark!!
The little niceties offered by so many other hotels seem to be falling away here and standards dropping- maybe they are being too complacent being right next to the conference centre? It's as if they don't care. Sad for such a once fantastic hotel

Room Tip: Good outlook from 2nd Floor overlooking town
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Vicki E
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Mrs E2812,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were dissappointed with this return visit to attend a ball at the hotel.

We do read all our reviews and take from them all the points made and use these to continually improve. We have recently introduced Norman our weekend Concierge to provide help assistance and a Yorkshire welcome. Our bedroom toiletries changed earlier this year to the Gilchrist and Soames London range and we added complimentary mineral water to every room type.

We have a local contractor who we call to clear the car park with a huge plough as it's a very large space and he has been twice already in the last week. We do listen and make improvements and I do thank you for sharing your feedback. We are not complacent and know there is always much to do though remain committed to preserving the quality which has served the Majestic so well thus far.

I would be more than happy to assist with your next booking as we value your loyalty and support.

Many thanks, Vince v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently stayed here on a hen do and, while I was impressed they were able to accommodate a big group and give us rooms close to each other, the hotel left a lot to be desired. From the outside, especially via the entrance near the pool, the hotel has seen better days. Inside, it has retained some of its historic charm but there are improvements that should be made. The water pressure and temperature of the shower in our room was terrible (intermittently hot and cold water and sudden drops in pressure), the furniture in the room was dated and the thin walls meant we could hear every word being said on the TV next door. Other members of our party had issues with their rooms, including key cards not working and dodgy smells, and the rooms varied greatly in size and standard. The breakfast was lovely and again it was nice to be seated at a table which accommodated all 12 of us. The management were keen to listen to our issues when we checked out and took some money off the bill, but I have to say based on the cost of the rooms I was expecting better. The Majestic is brimming with historic charm but some elements need bringing into the 21st century.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Helen_M_Clark25,

Thank you for posting your review and my apologies that you felt that you didn't get value for money on your one night hen party stay with us.

We are committed to an ongoing investment programme to restore the hotel and the current conditions are restricting our external works.

On a positive note I am pleased that our managers dealt with you professionally and with empathy.

Many thanks, Vince
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Good stuff: large rooms, centrally located within a short walk of the town centre, friendly and helpful staff, good amenities including on site parking and fairly recently renovated following a large fire in 2010. But on the negative side my bedroom and bathroom was inadequately heated, so it was freezing, and the breakfast and food generally wasn't of the highest quality (although at breakfast I discovered that an omelette can be made to order despite no mention of this on the menu - just one element of the good service I experienced).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Char|London
Dear CharlLondon,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I am glad that you enjoyed most elements of your stay and good service. I'm sorry you found your room not warm enough and we do stock additional heaters to give an extra boost when there is snow on the ground.

We do pride ourselves on traditional service standards and encourage guests to ask for anything they may need or want such as the omelette. If we can provide any assistance you will invariably find our team willing.

Hoping to welcome you back when you are next in Harrogate on business. Kind regards, Vince
scunthorpe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at the Majestic for my birthday one night mid week in March - 20th
My husband upgraded to a superior room and it was lovely.
Quality furnishings great big bed and a large bathroom all finished to a good standard and it was lovely and warm, despite the snow outside.
A magnificent building in its hay day would have taken pride of place over looking Harrogate, I would not like to pay the fuel bill its a huge premises.
Checkin was friendly & efficient.
The breakfast was really good, a lovely ball room with chandeliers and furnishings.
I used the spa a facial and back massage with Naomi - excellent treatments I would recommend.
The pool building is disappointing its like an add on that doesn't really match to the rest of the hotel.
The bar was quiet, so we went outside for food and entertainment.

Room Tip: 332 was a quiet large room over looking the front of the Hotel.
1 Thank Les N
Dear nanniemcphee,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I'm really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable visit and were very comfortable and cosy in your superior room.

You are right about the fuel bills though thankfully at last we have ultra low energy bulbs for the crystal chandeliers that dim and last 5 years. The 26 chandeliers contained not far short of 1,000 bulbs, you could almost hear the cheer from the maintenance team !

Our health club was built in the late 1980s and so was a latter addition by Forte and remains though one of only two in the town, with a small friendly team looking after the facilities.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Vince