“Not like it used to be.”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Having stayed several times in the past, I have just stayed again for a Dinner Dance and my husband and I feel that this hotel has definately seen better days. On checking in, no one came and took my bags once I was dropped off as my husband needed to park the car in the uncleared snowy and icey car park. The room was at first glance OK- but on closer inspection lying in a very hot bath looking up at stains from a leak(?) on the ceiling and mould on the shower head didn't make for good viewing. Overall not as clean in the bathroom and bedroom...grit on carpet by dressing table, dust on skirtings, drip marks from sink on wall... A light fitting over the dressing table was broken with ligth shade hanging off and furnishing sads and dated. The sign in the bathroom stating "CAUTION- towel rail hot"....well I wish it had been switched on as the room was inadequately heated. We rang and requested a blanket and they brought us another duvet. This is the extent of the level of extra heating we needed. Toiletries in the bathroom- just the basics but no conditioner.
Breakfast was fine but nothing memorable and had to wait 5 mins to be taken to a table. I have just read a previous review about getting an omelette made to request.- Again the management aren't reading these reviews and taking note as nothing was mentioned to us as we sat down to eat. There seemed to be new carpets in the lounge areas and new chairs-a welcome from the older ones.
Upon leaving I wasn't asked if I'd had a pleasnt stay/was everything ok-(the usual parting comment), nor a thank you for staying and yet charged £3.50 for parking in an uncleared carpark!!
The little niceties offered by so many other hotels seem to be falling away here and standards dropping- maybe they are being too complacent being right next to the conference centre? It's as if they don't care. Sad for such a once fantastic hotel

Room Tip: Good outlook from 2nd Floor overlooking town
1  Thank Vicki E
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear Mrs E2812,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were dissappointed with this return visit to attend a ball at the hotel.

We do read all our reviews and take from them all the points made and use these to continually improve. We have recently introduced Norman our weekend Concierge to provide help assistance and a Yorkshire welcome. Our bedroom toiletries changed earlier this year to the Gilchrist and Soames London range and we added complimentary mineral water to every room type.

We have a local contractor who we call to clear the car park with a huge plough as it's a very large space and he has been twice already in the last week. We do listen and make improvements and I do thank you for sharing your feedback. We are not complacent and know there is always much to do though remain committed to preserving the quality which has served the Majestic so well thus far.

I would be more than happy to assist with your next booking as we value your loyalty and support.

Many thanks, Vince v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I recently stayed here on a hen do and, while I was impressed they were able to accommodate a big group and give us rooms close to each other, the hotel left a lot to be desired. From the outside, especially via the entrance near the pool, the hotel has seen better days. Inside, it has retained some of its historic charm but there are improvements that should be made. The water pressure and temperature of the shower in our room was terrible (intermittently hot and cold water and sudden drops in pressure), the furniture in the room was dated and the thin walls meant we could hear every word being said on the TV next door. Other members of our party had issues with their rooms, including key cards not working and dodgy smells, and the rooms varied greatly in size and standard. The breakfast was lovely and again it was nice to be seated at a table which accommodated all 12 of us. The management were keen to listen to our issues when we checked out and took some money off the bill, but I have to say based on the cost of the rooms I was expecting better. The Majestic is brimming with historic charm but some elements need bringing into the 21st century.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Helen_M_Clark25,

Thank you for posting your review and my apologies that you felt that you didn't get value for money on your one night hen party stay with us.

We are committed to an ongoing investment programme to restore the hotel and the current conditions are restricting our external works.

On a positive note I am pleased that our managers dealt with you professionally and with empathy.

Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Good stuff: large rooms, centrally located within a short walk of the town centre, friendly and helpful staff, good amenities including on site parking and fairly recently renovated following a large fire in 2010. But on the negative side my bedroom and bathroom was inadequately heated, so it was freezing, and the breakfast and food generally wasn't of the highest quality (although at breakfast I discovered that an omelette can be made to order despite no mention of this on the menu - just one element of the good service I experienced).

1  Thank Char|London

Dear CharlLondon,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I am glad that you enjoyed most elements of your stay and good service. I'm sorry you found your room not warm enough and we do stock additional heaters to give an extra boost when there is snow on the ground.

We do pride ourselves on traditional service standards and encourage guests to ask for anything they may need or want such as the omelette. If we can provide any assistance you will invariably find our team willing.

Hoping to welcome you back when you are next in Harrogate on business. Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed at the Majestic for my birthday one night mid week in March - 20th
My husband upgraded to a superior room and it was lovely.
Quality furnishings great big bed and a large bathroom all finished to a good standard and it was lovely and warm, despite the snow outside.
A magnificent building in its hay day would have taken pride of place over looking Harrogate, I would not like to pay the fuel bill its a huge premises.
Checkin was friendly & efficient.
The breakfast was really good, a lovely ball room with chandeliers and furnishings.
I used the spa a facial and back massage with Naomi - excellent treatments I would recommend.
The pool building is disappointing its like an add on that doesn't really match to the rest of the hotel.
The bar was quiet, so we went outside for food and entertainment.

Room Tip: 332 was a quiet large room over looking the front of the Hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Les N

Dear nanniemcphee,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I'm really pleased to read that you had an enjoyable visit and were very comfortable and cosy in your superior room.

You are right about the fuel bills though thankfully at last we have ultra low energy bulbs for the crystal chandeliers that dim and last 5 years. The 26 chandeliers contained not far short of 1,000 bulbs, you could almost hear the cheer from the maintenance team !

Our health club was built in the late 1980s and so was a latter addition by Forte and remains though one of only two in the town, with a small friendly team looking after the facilities.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We came up for a long weekend and chose Majestic because of the health suite. The pool was great, really clean and very warm. The jacuzzi and steam room were a bonus too. Although the hotel is old, it is very well kept and the decor in good condition. We loved the period features and grand staircase. Less than 5 minutes walk to the shops as well.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Kate A

Dear Kate A,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. IT's lovely to see that you had a wonderful long weekend with us and yes, we are one of only two hotels in Harrogate who have health clubs with pools etc.

Hope to welcome you back soon, Vince

Reviewed March 21, 2013

That was about one of the worst experience ever; while the hotel is certainly impressive and the commons area are nice (for those who like old fashioned style) -- truely the name is well choosen; however the room was below average; not even bed&breakfast level; old and chiped furniture; old matresse; single glased windows and an truely unsufficient heating made me sleep in my pants and coat -- it was litteraly freezing; bathroom without any heating.
Arrived late pm and had to leave for a meeting early; thus spend about 6 hrs in this hotel --

Room Tip: don't know if they have renovated rooms --
1  Thank Frank W

Dear Frank W,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. Please accept my sincere apologies for the heating failure which affected your single room.

If you had reported this fault to us we would have immediately moved your room to one of the 70 empty rooms we had on the night you stayed.

We would never expect a guest to endure such an issue and I have been in contact directly with you following your stay to resolve the situation.

Again my sincere apologies, kind regards, Vince

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Majestic is in an ideal position on the outer edge of the town and a short walk from all of Harrogate's many amenities and good shops. The hotel is of a very high standard with excellent en-suite rooms and a good breakfast. The dinner was excellent and we invited friends who live in the town one evening and they too were impressed. All sounds too good to be true but our four days stay was exceptional. I used to live in Harrogate and so have always known the Majestic but it is now better than ever. Anne

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room at the front of the hotel overlooking the town 4th floor. There are lifts...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank anne c

Dear Anne C,

Thank you so much for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. It's a real pleasure that you decided to spend your break with us and that you had such a wonderful time.

The Majestic is a special hotel to many people, having been a local landmark for over 112 years, welcoming literally millions of guests during that time.

Hoping to welcome you back soon. Kind regards, Vince