“Impressive Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Impressive Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

We booked a premium room with a view over Harrogate and we were not disappointed. The room was absolutely fantastic. It was HUGE! Decorated to a high standard, large comfortable bed, sofa, chairs and table, big flat screen TV with radio, ornate fireplace etc. The only downside was the room was quite cool as there was only one small radiator to heat the whole room. There were nice touches such as robes, slippers and bottles of sparking and still water along with the normal tea, coffee etc. There was also a book on the history of the hotel which we found interesting, the hotel is beautiful. We did encounter a problem when we were ready to go out in the evening in that the door to our room wouldn't lock. We eventually had no choice but to change rooms and the one we were put in was still very nice but not a patch on the original one, however the Night Duty Manager was extremely helpful and offered a free bottle of Champagne in our room for when we returned later in the evening or a reduction on the price. If you book a premium room ask for one with a view over Harrogate!

Breakfast is served in a large restaurant and was delicious with lots of choices. Waitress and reception staff were all very courteous, helpful and knowlegable. We did have full use of the leisure facilities but as we were only stay for 1 day we did not take advantage of these. Carpark was spacious and free. We arrive well before check in time and was able to leave our car with no problems.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Kay985,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel, Harrogate. I'm very pleased that you had a lovely if short stay with us and were impressed with the Premium Room.

For me the most enjoyable part was learning of our reaction when the door lock malfunctioned and that you felt it was handled well given the situation. We managed to resolve the problem the next day but it was a first for us as these locks are really reliable usually other than people's phones zapping the key card memories.

Hoping to welcome you back to the delights of Harrogate soon. Kind regards, Vince

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Me and my boyfriend returned to The Majestic for Valentines Day after a very pleasant Valentines last year! Last year it was part of the Barcelo chain but this year it's part of the Puma group however it still remained just as brilliant as last time.
We were greeted by a friendly lady at the reception and were able to check in early. We requested the same room we stayed in as last year which was granted to us no problem!
The room was just as lovely and clean as last time with a view of Harrogate and the gardens.
The Regency Bar was the only bar open at the time where we went for a drink, which is just as grand as the rest of the hotel.
We didn't dine in the restaurant as we had a reservation at Deano's Graze and Grill.
We were told that the swimming pool may not be in use in the morning due to a filtration problem but when we went down at 7am it appeared the problem had been rectified. There was only 1 other person in the pool, so we had full use of the jacuzzi which was nice and relaxing.
The breakfast was just as brilliant as last time, a help yourself full English station, different breads and pastries, cereals, fruits, juices, tea and coffee!
We are looking forward to returning next year! Thankyou to the staff for making it an enjoyable stay.

Dear Gemma B,

Thank you for posting your second review of the Majestic Hotel. Consistency is key to any hospitality business and I'm really pleased that your annual pilgrimage to the Majestic was as great as last year.

It's really fortunate that your favourite room was available on check in but for next time just give us a head satrt and mention it when booking to stand the best chance of us having it for you.

We'll look forward to seeing you again next year - or before ! Kind regards, Vince
scunthorpe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

just got back from a two night stay at the Majestic, overall we had a very plesant stay. The hotel was built and designed as a hotel and as such works very well. unlike some country house hotels we have stayed in, that dont work at all. Here the public places, bar, reception, dinning room etc are truly magnificent. Having said that it was not at all intimidating, the friendly and efficiant staff went out of their way to make you feel welcome.We arrived on Valentines day and were a little dissapointed to find that there were no special events or dinner menu planned, but dinner in the main resturant was very good., allthough I would have liked to be given a steak knife to cut my steak. Our room while a bit dated was fine, with everything you needed. It was a bit cold but soon warmed up once we switched the radiater on, perhaps this could be done befour guests arrive in the winter months? I had a massage and facial in the spa which was very enjoyable. I also used the pool which was nice, allthough the surrounding were a bit utilliterian, but the water was warm and it was clean. Breakfast was good lots of choice, my only thought was that the food could have been a bit hotter. I was dissapointed to see that a special valentine deal was advertised at reception on our second day. A upgraded room, late check out and free parking for £20. Why was a valentine deal not available on the 14th but was on the15th?? we would have taken advantage of this if it had been available on our arrival (on the 14th) I dont understand the £3.50 per night parking fee, while this is not a lot of money I have never encounterd a parking fee at any other hotel I have stayed at, not even in London. Overall we enjoyed our stay and found Harrogate a charming town and would stay at the Majestic again should we return.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear scunnybunny4,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel following your Valentines night stay. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your stay and it appears you tried most of our services.

I'll keep an eye on the breakfast hot food as I think it might have been too much put out in the dish as the hot units themselves are new.

Sorry about the offer on the 15th. I think as most people stayed on the 14th this left the 15th very quiet and someone took some initiative to try to upgrade that nights clients. Sign up at our Puma Hotels website to get offers for some brilliant deals for us and our other 19 hotels.

Hoping to be able to welcome you back again soon. Kind regards, Vince
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed here back in December and had a lovely time (wrote a review to match it) however I was rather disappointed on my recent stay.
We decided to stay here the night before Valentines so we obviously wanted everything to be spot-on. Unfortunately this was not the case.
The receptionist was friendly when we checked-in and so were all the other staff, so no problems here. Upon arrival at our room, we noticed that it wasn't as clean as our previous room. There was cobwebs in each corner of the ceiling and my wife found faecal-matter in the toilet bowl.
We decided to search on our iPhones for somewhere to eat, but unfortunately we could not do this as we didn't receive the free wifi as advertised. I reported the issue, and received a call from tech support who were as much use as a chocolate teapot as they gave me a case reference number and said they would look at the access points - 2/3hrs later and still no wifi. Luckily my phone has a mobile data plan so we did find somewhere to eat.
When we arrived back, we laid on the bed watching TV and as we were doing so, we could hear a dripping noise from near the window ledge which was very loud and very fast. I decided to go to reception and complain as it would stop me sleeping. A lovely chap with a southern accent came to the room and agreed there was an issue, so he told us he would find us a quieter room - to which he did. We got shown our new room which was better equipped (e.g this room actually had a radiator that worked) and was better laid out but most importantly it was dead silent. We did eventually have one of the best nights sleep.
What annoyed me the most is I paid £124 for this room as I chose the "premium" option but unfortunately it did not feel premium whatsoever. Very let down!
If it wasn't for the kind night receptionist (chap with the southern accent) and the good night sleep in the second room I wouldn't be returning.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Flaumster,

Thank you for posting your review following this most recent stay with us. I am sorry that we didn't maintain the same exacting standards that you'd experienced in December.

The housekeeping issues experienced certainly aren't usual as you know from prior experience and our other reviews. The wifi service and a substantially built Victorian hotel aren't the best of bedfellows and there are some rooms which receive a poor or little signal. Around the building there are numerous access points pushing out signal and we have replaced over 20 in the last 12 months. I'm sorry that you had to use your mobile data and be assured any report is looked into by our partners.

I always advise people that if you don't get it where you are now then move to another area and you'll hit a different access point. If it's criticial that you need it in your bedroom and we can't fix it then we do everything to try and ove you to another room. As a fall back the bar, lounge and meeting rooms are all very reliable.

On a really positive note I'm delighted that our Night Manager (a fellow Southerner who's been up North for too long) was able to redeem the overflow issue.

When you are next booked in to return then do alert me and I'll oversee your booking and room allocation.

Kind regards, Vince
Gateshead ,North East England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in a snow storm, a surprise trip for my 40th birthday. Staff were friendly, polite and helpful. So eager to please that when one saw us with a pint of milk he was at pains to say they would have provided it had we asked! The hotel itself is beautiful, marble pillars, grand rooms etc, but not so grand as to make us uncomfortable. Breakfast was amazing, everything you could want. Very central , easy to find shops etc.
We will be back with the kids!

Dear minkfest2,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm pleased to hear that your birthday suprise was enjoyable and we are looking forward to welcoming you back either with or without the children.

We have some huge family rooms and a few which interconnect. My best recommendation for under 12s is called the Forbidden Corner at Middleham just around 8 miles away. On a dry day this folly is amazing fun. Seek out the website as it's something a bit different and fun.

We'll expect to see you when the sun returns. Kind regards, Vince
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Very much enjoyed our overnight stay, we will use this Hotel again when we make another visit to Harrogate.We found the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful,the room was wonderful we felt quite pampered,sorry our conference was such a short one ,but I am sure we will come back again for a longer stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear morrisey_12,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really happy our staff looked after you so well and truly hope it's not too long before you revisit us for a relaxing break.

Kind regards, Vince
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had our wedding reception at The Majestic in September 2012. We chose the hotel as it is within a mile of the church and that we had over 80 guests travelling from all across the UK. Therefore we wanted a big enough hotel where guests could choose to stay that night or at least within walking distance of other hotels/B&Bs. It really is a 'majestic' building and the grounds were beautiful for our photos.

We also picked it because there is an outside veranda for guests having the canapes and arrival drinks but also if it had rained, there is a large reception area that wouldn't have felt cramped if it had rained. In the end the weather was beautiful and guests split themselves between the veranda and inside tables. Before the wedding a dedicated bar was built in that part of the hotel which was great because I was worried about guests wandering off to the other bar and missing photos.

Overall we dealt with the Majestic over the 12 month lead up - Karen the Wedding Co-ordinator was realy helpful and responded to all of our questions/requests. We picked the Drawing Room & Reading Room which connect, one room is shut off during the wedding breakfast and opened to reveal the dance floor for the evening reception. The rooms were great, big enough for our 5 piece live band plus singers (Phil Lyons & the Vintage Band).

Compared to all of the other venues we looked at, the Majestic definately had a larger selection of food - we picked a set menu based on one price but we were allowed to choose two dishes per course and we organised the choices for each individual guest. I provided the hotel with table plans with food choices and it worked like clock work. The tasting went well, which we attended with both sets of parents and the staff were very attentive.

Barcelo left the Majestic in the lead up and we were kept in the picture at all times and reassured that our wedding plans were safe. We were also very concerned about the beautiful grounds being hired out to two exhibitions each year (I think May and August) - where quite frankly they wreck the grounds with massive marquees, but again we were reassured that everything would be fine for our wedding day.

We were able to get in the room the night before, got set up and I stayed with my family. As the Bride I was upgraded for free to a superior room which was gorgeous. It wasn't as big as the older rooms - my parents had a massive room with a sofa but mine was more modern. Our honeymoon suite was huge as well and included in the cost of the wedding.

Overall the day was brilliant, the staff were very efficient, the food was fantastic (which was really important to me and you never know how the food will turn out with mass catering) and considering each guest had two choices per course, there were no mix ups.

We were really glad we picked the Majestic - if I had any areas to be improved, there were just a few things that were listed in the wedding brochure as part of the package that were missed - Bride & Groom were supposed to have champagne on arrival (sorted once our Best Man chased it) and we were supposed to have breakfast in bed - no issues as we had decided we were going to join our guests anyway. We were assured that our guests wouldn't have to pay for car parking, but some of the receptionists didn't seem to know that. The parts of the hotel that have been updated do look really modern - I hope they do up the rest of the hotel - we noticed that some window frames needed painting and it's a shame when half of them have already been re-done.

Overall a great experience.

Room Tip: Request the rooms that have been updated!