“A bit disappointed......”

Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointed......”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I had planned a night a jazz bar in Harrogate and was looking for somewhere to stay. I found the Majestic on the internet and was quite happy as from past experience staying at quite a few Puma hotels thought we would be in for a treat. We paid for a deluxe room which was £154 for the evening b&b. This was quite a bit more than i was expecting to pay as in the past we have stayed at other hotels for around £200 for 2 nights, but it was my husbands birthday and he deserved a treat. The room was a good size and had recently been decorated but it was quite dirty, all around the balcony doors and very dusty on the surfaces. The bathroom was small in comparison to the room and although it had a double sink i would have preffered a walk in shower rather than a shower over the bath. We had breakfast in the room which we paid £10 extra for the pleasure but the breakfast was of poor quality and was expecting a lot better. I didn't make a fuss as it was a treat for my husband,

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Andrea L
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Andrea L,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you were a little diappointed with certain aspects of your stay. You did book one of our superb and newly refurbished Deluxe Rooms and from your description I know which room you refer to as the double sinks gave it away.

Our bathrooms were all added after the hotel was built and this does mean that our bathrooms come in all shapes and sizes. On this room the bedroom is huge with a feature fireplace and is one of my favourite bedrooms. The bathroom is quite small and when you next stay if you request a separate shower we will always try to accommodate any request.

I do hope that on your next visit you will let me help with the arrangements as I am more than happy to provide any assistance.

Kind regards, Vince

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (673)
Skegness, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 1, 2013

As old colleagues we meet annually in all parts of the country and beyond.
This year I had chosen the Majestic in Harrogate for an overnight stay with the group and
although meeting old colleagues again was pleasant the Majestic Hotel was disappointing.
First the good points---the staff several from other EU countries were excellent without exception. The bedrooms, we took six, were clean, and very well furnished.
The let down was the food, breakfast average, lunch poor, and dinner priced at £25 quite awful! Pesonally I pride myself on having a fair knowledge of cooking and for a such top rated hotel as this a careful look of what they are producing from their kitchen should be made,
Unless there is considerable improvement in this hotel's catering I can't see a rosy future for it
and its a shame for the hard work of the visual staff

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Partypeople197,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent overnight stay with us. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with our food offering and that this would cause you to question our star rating, as this seems a little extreme.

I was very glad to read that your enjoyed the bedrooms provided ( we'd upgraded the single bedded rooms you booked as the hotel was quiet) and that our staff were all found to be welcoming and helpful.

Our breakfast is usually well regarded as evidenced by the majority of other reviewers and for dinner we provide a daily menu and also an a la carte menu which I think offers something for everyone. Our menus are displayed in our lifts so that customers are aware of our offerings. Having checked with our Restaurant Manager, nothing was mentioned on the night.

We do have a professional team and our Head Chef has presided over our food offering for over 25 years since joining us from the Savoy. It's clear that we do know what we are doing and I am sorry that you didn't enjoy your dinner. If we had been made aware of the detail of your disappointment then we would have had the chance to make amends easily and promptly.

Thank you for your feedback and looking forward to your next visit. Kind regards, Vince
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for a spa break with my sister for my birthday and we had a wonderful time. The room we had was lovely, very modern and well presented and comfortable. Both the room and the bathroom were very spacious and the bathroom was also very modern and looked quite new. We had two treatments at the orchid rooms Spa in the hotel, the spa was very relaxing and staff very friendly and welcoming. We stayed for two nights and had breakfast and dinner on both nights. Dinner was included in our package and the food was really nice and very good value for money. Breakfast was great with a large choice of hot and cold food. We opted for room service breakfast on the second day which arrived on time and still hot. Our package included champagne and chocolates and these were waiting for us upon arrival in the room. The hotel is in a great location and very close to the town centre. The staff at the hotel were all very friendly, polite and helpful and I would definately come here again, this stay was a great present from my sister for my birthday and I couldn't have asked for more from the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Deana1983
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Deana1983,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. It was a pleasure to read and I'm sure will be of help and interest to other visitors not familiar with the hotel.

On your next visit I'd definately recommend a visit to the Turkish Baths only 300 metres away from us. They are renowned and award winning and really complement what Harrogate is all about.

Hoping to welcome you back soon. Kind regards, Vince
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had an excellent stay in snowy Harrogate in January 2013. We thought the Majestic hotel really complemented our two night break. The polite, friendly faces of the reception staff got us off to a fine start, and the good feeling continued into our room, which was pleasingly decorated and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was sparkling in cleanliness and looked quite new and modern.
Smiling and helpful staff abounded in the bars and restaurant, and we enjoyed a very filling breakfast prior to venturing into the snow of Harrogate. Full marks, too, to the staff for clearing a lot of the snow from the hotel pathways.
My wife enjoyed a swim, jacuzzi and sauna in the hotel leisure centre both mornings and found the facilities much to her liking.
I know what people mean when they say somewhere is 'tired'. However, if you want to stay in a hotel where Agatha Christie, Winston Churchill and even Cliff Richard stayed, and retain some of that ambience, you can't expect a brand new place. We thought that a lot had been done to the public areas in the way of refurbishment without damaging the hotel's integrity.
We really enjoyed the Majestic and are already looking forward to returning in spring!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dave M,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. Indeed, thank you for venturing across the Pennines despite the weather forecast. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and found the staff friendly and helpful.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back in the Spring and your comments are very well made. We are a Victorian hotel, 112 years old so there is the odd wrinkle but a strong heart still beats beneath.

When you do return I hope we get the chance to say hello. Kind regards, Vince
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is in an imposing position in Harrogate and very easy for the HIC and town centre. In its day is must have been a grand place to spend some time. Today it's a tired hotel in desperate need of serious investment. From the outside it loks tatty and worn. Interior public spaces are okay and I guess from the smell of paint they are doing some remedial decorating but it needs more than that in my opinion.
After an efficient check in I went to my spacious room which, to be fair was well equipped. Maybe when it is so cold outside and the window frames are metal they should consider heating the room prior to guest arrival. The bed was comfy andf everything worked but again, the decor was tired as was some of the furniture. The bathroom was clean and again well equipped.
Service in the bar was very slow. For 4 nights I had to wait to be served as I arrived in between shift changes. a couple of minutes I can live with but 10 - 15 is extreme.
Restaurant service was good, food was good if not a little pricey for what you get.
Breakfast was quite possible one of the best I have enjoyed in a hotel.
I didn't use the leidure facilities so cannot comment other than the pool is small and at times was very busy.
Would I stay again.......probably at the right price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Phill T
Dear Phil T,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent business stay with us this January. I'm really pleased that you were well looked after especially at dinner and breakfast.

We do have plans in palce as part of our ongoing improvements which have seen multi million pound investment over the last 5 years, though as you point out, the Hotel is imposing and huge.

I do hope that when you return next year that you will be able to experience these. If you'd like to email me when you are next booking I will endeavour to upgrade you to one of our super Premium Rooms which are all recently refurbished. During January we always have great rates available. My email is: v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Many thanks, Vince
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Attended a business function here, which is not always a way of seeing a hotel at its best. It is in a great location in Harrogate and you can see that it was "majestic" once, and it actually could be again, but it is tired and in dire need of some surgery rather than just a facelift.
The meal was actually very good for a function and service was crisp and professional, staff at reception were personable and quick, and overall it is obvious that the customer facing management know how to run a good ship.
However, the room was barely 2* yet alone 4* with a small saggy double bed from the 40's, drafty windows, no apparent sound proofing, and a tiny bathroom with a narrow bath and stained tiles / grouting (the bathroom looked like it had had a mixture of refurbishments over the years, none done well). The tiny bathroom was only saved by the shower - it was over the narrow bath and didnt look great, but it had a good strong flow, kept a constant temperature, and it was hot. I'd take that dingy bathroom with its good shower over a marble & gold palace with a dribble of warm water every time!
Breakfast was a major disappointment - it all looked good but the buffet style "hot" food was mostly stone cold (with exception of the sausages) and as we had to eat & run we hadnt the time to send it all back, so toast & sausages it was.
I never understand why hotels dont really focus on breakfast - it is the customers last key "touch point" with the hotel before they leave, so things like; cold "hot" breakfasts, oven-baked bacon, tasteless eggs, and soggy toast, do nothing to entice customers to return.

Room Tip: insist on a room well away from any functions. great real ale pub just a short walk away down the h...