“Excellent stay in snowy Harrogate!”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had an excellent stay in snowy Harrogate in January 2013. We thought the Majestic hotel really complemented our two night break. The polite, friendly faces of the reception staff got us off to a fine start, and the good feeling continued into our room, which was pleasingly decorated and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was sparkling in cleanliness and looked quite new and modern.
Smiling and helpful staff abounded in the bars and restaurant, and we enjoyed a very filling breakfast prior to venturing into the snow of Harrogate. Full marks, too, to the staff for clearing a lot of the snow from the hotel pathways.
My wife enjoyed a swim, jacuzzi and sauna in the hotel leisure centre both mornings and found the facilities much to her liking.
I know what people mean when they say somewhere is 'tired'. However, if you want to stay in a hotel where Agatha Christie, Winston Churchill and even Cliff Richard stayed, and retain some of that ambience, you can't expect a brand new place. We thought that a lot had been done to the public areas in the way of refurbishment without damaging the hotel's integrity.
We really enjoyed the Majestic and are already looking forward to returning in spring!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Dave M,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. Indeed, thank you for venturing across the Pennines despite the weather forecast. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and found the staff friendly and helpful.

We're looking forward to welcoming you back in the Spring and your comments are very well made. We are a Victorian hotel, 112 years old so there is the odd wrinkle but a strong heart still beats beneath.

When you do return I hope we get the chance to say hello. Kind regards, Vince

There are newer reviews for The Majestic Hotel

Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel is in an imposing position in Harrogate and very easy for the HIC and town centre. In its day is must have been a grand place to spend some time. Today it's a tired hotel in desperate need of serious investment. From the outside it loks tatty and worn. Interior public spaces are okay and I guess from the smell of paint they are doing some remedial decorating but it needs more than that in my opinion.
After an efficient check in I went to my spacious room which, to be fair was well equipped. Maybe when it is so cold outside and the window frames are metal they should consider heating the room prior to guest arrival. The bed was comfy andf everything worked but again, the decor was tired as was some of the furniture. The bathroom was clean and again well equipped.
Service in the bar was very slow. For 4 nights I had to wait to be served as I arrived in between shift changes. a couple of minutes I can live with but 10 - 15 is extreme.
Restaurant service was good, food was good if not a little pricey for what you get.
Breakfast was quite possible one of the best I have enjoyed in a hotel.
I didn't use the leidure facilities so cannot comment other than the pool is small and at times was very busy.
Would I stay again.......probably at the right price.

2  Thank Phill T

Dear Phil T,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent business stay with us this January. I'm really pleased that you were well looked after especially at dinner and breakfast.

We do have plans in palce as part of our ongoing improvements which have seen multi million pound investment over the last 5 years, though as you point out, the Hotel is imposing and huge.

I do hope that when you return next year that you will be able to experience these. If you'd like to email me when you are next booking I will endeavour to upgrade you to one of our super Premium Rooms which are all recently refurbished. During January we always have great rates available. My email is: v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Attended a business function here, which is not always a way of seeing a hotel at its best. It is in a great location in Harrogate and you can see that it was "majestic" once, and it actually could be again, but it is tired and in dire need of some surgery rather than just a facelift.
The meal was actually very good for a function and service was crisp and professional, staff at reception were personable and quick, and overall it is obvious that the customer facing management know how to run a good ship.
However, the room was barely 2* yet alone 4* with a small saggy double bed from the 40's, drafty windows, no apparent sound proofing, and a tiny bathroom with a narrow bath and stained tiles / grouting (the bathroom looked like it had had a mixture of refurbishments over the years, none done well). The tiny bathroom was only saved by the shower - it was over the narrow bath and didnt look great, but it had a good strong flow, kept a constant temperature, and it was hot. I'd take that dingy bathroom with its good shower over a marble & gold palace with a dribble of warm water every time!
Breakfast was a major disappointment - it all looked good but the buffet style "hot" food was mostly stone cold (with exception of the sausages) and as we had to eat & run we hadnt the time to send it all back, so toast & sausages it was.
I never understand why hotels dont really focus on breakfast - it is the customers last key "touch point" with the hotel before they leave, so things like; cold "hot" breakfasts, oven-baked bacon, tasteless eggs, and soggy toast, do nothing to entice customers to return.

Room Tip: insist on a room well away from any functions. great real ale pub just a short walk away down the h...
1  Thank Johnfcooper
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Johnfcooper,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us to attend the Garden Media Awards function. I'm very glad that you enjoyed the function and that the service you received was fully acceptable.

I am sorry though that you were unhappy with your room and wish you had asked to move, though accept it was just an overnight fleeting visit. I'm looking into the breakfast issues you've mentioned as generally we do well in the morning and do treat this meal as important as you're right it is our last service with our clients.

Your mention of the Old Bell tavern is well made, it is a popular and great place to meet up and enjoy the buzz over some very interesting ales.

Do let me know if you are returning for next year's awards and I'll give your booking my personal attention.

Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Overall a very impressive looking hotel with grand stairways and adornments. Staff friendly. Nice pool though small. Breakfast was fabulous! The let down is in the detail. We booked a superior room which was very spacious with its old furniture but torn wallpaper, stained bed cover - poorly maintained bed valance and dirty teaspoons. No mini bar. The bathroom was very nice (must have had recent refurb). The worst was that as we were on the 1st floor (it has 4), there was a function on in the hotel that evening and all we could hear until the early hours was the boom boom boom of the disco which was awful and spoilt our stay as it was a birthday treat too!

Room Tip: Request a high floor for quietness!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear ElaineRed,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel and my apologies that you were disturbed by a disco below you. If you would like to get in touch I will look into how such an issue could occur. My email address is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Once you confirm dates etc I will be sure but I think we may have thought you were with the large group here for the fitness weekend that was having the disco.

Looking forward to hearing from you and finding a resolution. Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was there for a 2 day conference staying over for one night.
The conference on the first day was in their Ballroom and it was dreadfully cold all day.
the snacks were good but the coffee tasted burnt.
The original room I was asigned was 433 and it was an older room with twin doubles and too large for a small person like me, it was also cold so i went to reception and requested a refurbished room and was given 256. this is a lovely room , recently refurbished with a nice bath as well as a rain shower above and 2 sinks.
Toiletries were ok but the shower gel is difficult to get out of the bottle.
Nice an warm at last!
The meal wasn't particulary good for the conference gala at night, it was a set dinner that we werent told about beforehand.
melon and parma ham (yeuch) rubber chicken and only 2 peices of carrot and parsnip and mash which should have had cabbage in it.
Breakfast was a buffet but the plates were cold.

Room Tip: As for a refurbished room
1  Thank bhlister

Dear bhlister,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel following your visit for a conference with us. I'm glad that you found the hotel nice and that we were able to meet your request for a room move.

Room 433 is a huge room with 2 double beds and I understand your wish for a cosier space. Room 256 is a lovely room and one of our refurbished Premium rooms. We have noted the challenges with the toiletries, requiring more patience than one usually wishes to apply first thing in the morning. We are just about to switch to Gilchrist and Soames toiletries from their super London range which are much easier to use.

Your conference dinner was selected by your organizers and for the 120 people involved sitting down simultaneously it did need to be a set menu as the event organizers knew in advance. I think that in such situations a very simple menu is selected to try and create a broad appeal. I'm sorry it wouldn't have been your choice.

I do appreciate you sharing your feedback and hopefully the sub-zero temperatures will soon go away. Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed here on my own while in Harrogate on business. On arrival at the hotel, I was greeted at reception by very friendly staff. I was directed up to my room which was on the 3rd floor.

In the room, there was a double bed, small table and chair, a desk with chair, wardrobe and a unit with tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was comfortable and the free wifi a bonus.

The bathroom reminded me of a premier inn with the shower over the bath and heated towel rail and was a similar size - perfectly adequate and clean. The towels were a good size, complimentary shower gel, shampoo, shower cap, soap and moisturiser provided.

The hotel is a very old building with large winding staircases and the decor and furniture is very tasteful and in keeping with the age of the building.

There is a leisure centre on site with cycling machines, treadmills, hand bike, cross trainer, weights etc. It's a small gym, but it wasn't overly busy. There is also a pool which was nice and warm, jacuzzi, sauna and showers. It was clean and well kept.The leisure centre provide towels for guests and the staff were friendly and helpful. Lockers take a £1 coin but you get that back.

The only downside was the noise.There was a conference on while I was there and the people attending the conference had no concept of the disturbance they caused at 1-2am slamming doors and calling to each other down the corridor. There didn't seem to be much in the way of sound reduction between the corridor and the bedroom resulting in a sleepless night.

I didn't eat dinner in the hotel, but breakfast was plentiful. There was a buffet with bacon, egg, sausgae etc - it wasn't terribly hot, but was fine. There is also a continental breakfast available as well as cereals, toast, croissants, fruit etc, tea, coffee and fruit juice.

One thing to remember is that they do charge for parking, even when the barrier is up! That cost me £3.50 but I did know that when I booked.

I'd certainly book again, but I'd ask for a room on a floor where groups are not staying if that is possible.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Testarossa752,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very glad that you had "a pleasant stay" and your comments will I'm sure help other visitors yet to arrive.

My apologies that some of your fellow residents caused some disturbance and for the breakfast items not being particularly hot. We'll keep a closer eye on this moving forward.

We'll look forward to welcoming you back soon, Vince

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Booked in for a girly Christmas night with my oldest friends.I am the one who books and tries to find a nice venue. Lovely old hotel. Room ok, we stayed in a family room because there were three of us.The room was tired and needed decorating. The bathroom had broken tiles. Paper hanging off ceiling in room, but the room was good in size. Dinner at night terrible, A large Christmas party in the same night. Two of us ordered the turkey. It arrived plated up and the turkey appeared processed , and not cut off a turkey joint.
I ordered cheese and biscuits because I left my meal. Offered a liquor coffee to make up for it.
I must say breakfast was good. Wont be going again for dinner.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Sharon N,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel following your stay in December. I'm glad that overall you had an enjoyable visit though was sorry to hear of your disappointment with dinner. All the food we prepare is of the best quality and prepared carefully on site. That being said, I am sorry that you didnlt find your roast turket meal appetising but glad that our staff acknowledged this on the night.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards, Vince