“Difficult to rate as mix of good & bad”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Harrogate
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Difficult to rate as mix of good & bad”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Attended a business function here, which is not always a way of seeing a hotel at its best. It is in a great location in Harrogate and you can see that it was "majestic" once, and it actually could be again, but it is tired and in dire need of some surgery rather than just a facelift.
The meal was actually very good for a function and service was crisp and professional, staff at reception were personable and quick, and overall it is obvious that the customer facing management know how to run a good ship.
However, the room was barely 2* yet alone 4* with a small saggy double bed from the 40's, drafty windows, no apparent sound proofing, and a tiny bathroom with a narrow bath and stained tiles / grouting (the bathroom looked like it had had a mixture of refurbishments over the years, none done well). The tiny bathroom was only saved by the shower - it was over the narrow bath and didnt look great, but it had a good strong flow, kept a constant temperature, and it was hot. I'd take that dingy bathroom with its good shower over a marble & gold palace with a dribble of warm water every time!
Breakfast was a major disappointment - it all looked good but the buffet style "hot" food was mostly stone cold (with exception of the sausages) and as we had to eat & run we hadnt the time to send it all back, so toast & sausages it was.
I never understand why hotels dont really focus on breakfast - it is the customers last key "touch point" with the hotel before they leave, so things like; cold "hot" breakfasts, oven-baked bacon, tasteless eggs, and soggy toast, do nothing to entice customers to return.

Room Tip: insist on a room well away from any functions. great real ale pub just a short walk away down the h...
1 Thank Johnfcooper
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Johnfcooper,

Thank you for posting your review following your recent stay with us to attend the Garden Media Awards function. I'm very glad that you enjoyed the function and that the service you received was fully acceptable.

I am sorry though that you were unhappy with your room and wish you had asked to move, though accept it was just an overnight fleeting visit. I'm looking into the breakfast issues you've mentioned as generally we do well in the morning and do treat this meal as important as you're right it is our last service with our clients.

Your mention of the Old Bell tavern is well made, it is a popular and great place to meet up and enjoy the buzz over some very interesting ales.

Do let me know if you are returning for next year's awards and I'll give your booking my personal attention.

Kind regards, Vince

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
Hull
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Overall a very impressive looking hotel with grand stairways and adornments. Staff friendly. Nice pool though small. Breakfast was fabulous! The let down is in the detail. We booked a superior room which was very spacious with its old furniture but torn wallpaper, stained bed cover - poorly maintained bed valance and dirty teaspoons. No mini bar. The bathroom was very nice (must have had recent refurb). The worst was that as we were on the 1st floor (it has 4), there was a function on in the hotel that evening and all we could hear until the early hours was the boom boom boom of the disco which was awful and spoilt our stay as it was a birthday treat too!

Room Tip: Request a high floor for quietness!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ElaineRed,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel and my apologies that you were disturbed by a disco below you. If you would like to get in touch I will look into how such an issue could occur. My email address is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Once you confirm dates etc I will be sure but I think we may have thought you were with the large group here for the fitness weekend that was having the disco.

Looking forward to hearing from you and finding a resolution. Kind regards, Vince
Fife, Scotland
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I was there for a 2 day conference staying over for one night.
The conference on the first day was in their Ballroom and it was dreadfully cold all day.
the snacks were good but the coffee tasted burnt.
The original room I was asigned was 433 and it was an older room with twin doubles and too large for a small person like me, it was also cold so i went to reception and requested a refurbished room and was given 256. this is a lovely room , recently refurbished with a nice bath as well as a rain shower above and 2 sinks.
Toiletries were ok but the shower gel is difficult to get out of the bottle.
Nice an warm at last!
The meal wasn't particulary good for the conference gala at night, it was a set dinner that we werent told about beforehand.
melon and parma ham (yeuch) rubber chicken and only 2 peices of carrot and parsnip and mash which should have had cabbage in it.
Breakfast was a buffet but the plates were cold.

Room Tip: As for a refurbished room
1 Thank bhlister
Dear bhlister,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel following your visit for a conference with us. I'm glad that you found the hotel nice and that we were able to meet your request for a room move.

Room 433 is a huge room with 2 double beds and I understand your wish for a cosier space. Room 256 is a lovely room and one of our refurbished Premium rooms. We have noted the challenges with the toiletries, requiring more patience than one usually wishes to apply first thing in the morning. We are just about to switch to Gilchrist and Soames toiletries from their super London range which are much easier to use.

Your conference dinner was selected by your organizers and for the 120 people involved sitting down simultaneously it did need to be a set menu as the event organizers knew in advance. I think that in such situations a very simple menu is selected to try and create a broad appeal. I'm sorry it wouldn't have been your choice.

I do appreciate you sharing your feedback and hopefully the sub-zero temperatures will soon go away. Many thanks, Vince
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed here on my own while in Harrogate on business. On arrival at the hotel, I was greeted at reception by very friendly staff. I was directed up to my room which was on the 3rd floor.

In the room, there was a double bed, small table and chair, a desk with chair, wardrobe and a unit with tea and coffee making facilities. The bed was comfortable and the free wifi a bonus.

The bathroom reminded me of a premier inn with the shower over the bath and heated towel rail and was a similar size - perfectly adequate and clean. The towels were a good size, complimentary shower gel, shampoo, shower cap, soap and moisturiser provided.

The hotel is a very old building with large winding staircases and the decor and furniture is very tasteful and in keeping with the age of the building.

There is a leisure centre on site with cycling machines, treadmills, hand bike, cross trainer, weights etc. It's a small gym, but it wasn't overly busy. There is also a pool which was nice and warm, jacuzzi, sauna and showers. It was clean and well kept.The leisure centre provide towels for guests and the staff were friendly and helpful. Lockers take a £1 coin but you get that back.

The only downside was the noise.There was a conference on while I was there and the people attending the conference had no concept of the disturbance they caused at 1-2am slamming doors and calling to each other down the corridor. There didn't seem to be much in the way of sound reduction between the corridor and the bedroom resulting in a sleepless night.

I didn't eat dinner in the hotel, but breakfast was plentiful. There was a buffet with bacon, egg, sausgae etc - it wasn't terribly hot, but was fine. There is also a continental breakfast available as well as cereals, toast, croissants, fruit etc, tea, coffee and fruit juice.

One thing to remember is that they do charge for parking, even when the barrier is up! That cost me £3.50 but I did know that when I booked.

I'd certainly book again, but I'd ask for a room on a floor where groups are not staying if that is possible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Testarossa752,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very glad that you had "a pleasant stay" and your comments will I'm sure help other visitors yet to arrive.

My apologies that some of your fellow residents caused some disturbance and for the breakfast items not being particularly hot. We'll keep a closer eye on this moving forward.

We'll look forward to welcoming you back soon, Vince
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Booked in for a girly Christmas night with my oldest friends.I am the one who books and tries to find a nice venue. Lovely old hotel. Room ok, we stayed in a family room because there were three of us.The room was tired and needed decorating. The bathroom had broken tiles. Paper hanging off ceiling in room, but the room was good in size. Dinner at night terrible, A large Christmas party in the same night. Two of us ordered the turkey. It arrived plated up and the turkey appeared processed , and not cut off a turkey joint.
I ordered cheese and biscuits because I left my meal. Offered a liquor coffee to make up for it.
I must say breakfast was good. Wont be going again for dinner.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Sharon N,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel following your stay in December. I'm glad that overall you had an enjoyable visit though was sorry to hear of your disappointment with dinner. All the food we prepare is of the best quality and prepared carefully on site. That being said, I am sorry that you didnlt find your roast turket meal appetising but glad that our staff acknowledged this on the night.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Having stayed in September and not been happy I found myself in Harrogate and thought I would try again.

Outstanding, from start tofinish, customer service, room, view - to die for btw!!

Looking forward to having another excuse to return

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Simon_Oe
Dear Simon,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really glad that we spoke following your first visit and that I was able to help with your next booking.

Glad you had the chance to experience our normal services and yes, the views from many of our rooms are super.

Hope you'll find that excuse for your next visit soon and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I wish I'd written this review sooner! Fantastic stay, me and my boyfriend went for Valentine's Day...

Situated in lovely grounds, it's in an ideal location, just a short walk from the train station. Lovely interior, I hear the staff were friendly at reception too, although I was not present at check in. We were upgraded to a Premium Room at reception even though we had paid for a Standard Room. Our room was lovely and spacious, with nice views. Very comfy bed, with 2 robes and slippers to match.

I cannot comment on the restaurant as we dined at Vivido, however the breakfast was fantastic. With as much fruit as a fruit and vegetable stall, different breads, pastries, muffins, and a servery with all the elements of a full English breakfast, not to mention different juices, teas and coffees, it certainly was a well presented breakfast. The room we were in was impressive as well.

The pool and jacuzzi was nice and quiet, we were mainly on our own! Although we did sit in the jacuzzi for about 5 minutes before another guest approached us and asked if we wanted to switch it on, we had been sat for 5 minutes with a few bubbles, as soon as it was switched on we knew about it!

We enjoyed our stay that much we are going again this Valentine's Day - I hope it's just as lovely!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 338. Lovely room, very spacious, nice views of Harrogate!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Hi Gemma B,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really glad that you had such a wonderful stay and assume that your booking to return this year, reminded you to post.

If you want to drop me an email with the booking name I'll see if we can upgrade you again this year. My email is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Looking for ward to welcoming you back, Vince