“'If Carlsberg did views' WOW - superb!”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Having stayed in September and not been happy I found myself in Harrogate and thought I would try again.

Outstanding, from start tofinish, customer service, room, view - to die for btw!!

Looking forward to having another excuse to return

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simon_Oe
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Simon,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really glad that we spoke following your first visit and that I was able to help with your next booking.

Glad you had the chance to experience our normal services and yes, the views from many of our rooms are super.

Hope you'll find that excuse for your next visit soon and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Kind regards, Vince

Write a ReviewReviews (3,029)

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I wish I'd written this review sooner! Fantastic stay, me and my boyfriend went for Valentine's Day...

Situated in lovely grounds, it's in an ideal location, just a short walk from the train station. Lovely interior, I hear the staff were friendly at reception too, although I was not present at check in. We were upgraded to a Premium Room at reception even though we had paid for a Standard Room. Our room was lovely and spacious, with nice views. Very comfy bed, with 2 robes and slippers to match.

I cannot comment on the restaurant as we dined at Vivido, however the breakfast was fantastic. With as much fruit as a fruit and vegetable stall, different breads, pastries, muffins, and a servery with all the elements of a full English breakfast, not to mention different juices, teas and coffees, it certainly was a well presented breakfast. The room we were in was impressive as well.

The pool and jacuzzi was nice and quiet, we were mainly on our own! Although we did sit in the jacuzzi for about 5 minutes before another guest approached us and asked if we wanted to switch it on, we had been sat for 5 minutes with a few bubbles, as soon as it was switched on we knew about it!

We enjoyed our stay that much we are going again this Valentine's Day - I hope it's just as lovely!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 338. Lovely room, very spacious, nice views of Harrogate!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Hi Gemma B,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm really glad that you had such a wonderful stay and assume that your booking to return this year, reminded you to post.

If you want to drop me an email with the booking name I'll see if we can upgrade you again this year. My email is v.johnson@pumahotels.co.uk

Looking for ward to welcoming you back, Vince

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

A old classic hotel , first time I have stayed here. Big and bold with a great visual Victorian style decor. If you like old hotels with bags of history then this is the place for you.

I stayed with my wife and 2 daughters aged 15 and they loved it and that is a great recommendation from two 15 year olds that take alot to impress.

Sorry we did not have a evening meal so can not comment on food other than the breakfast and that was good. We had our food in the ball room for some reason maybe due to a refurb but this room was grand and looked lovely.

Very close to city centre and not over expensive for this style of hotel. If you are looking for bouquite or a up to date hotel then this is not for you but if your looking for somthing different stay here you will not be disapointed.

One negitive point - CAR PARK FEE and a great big blue machine when you enter the hotel to pay for parking - it's only £3.50 but still sticks in the back of my throat to pay to park in a hotel I am staying in. Would this put me off staying here NO but why not add a £1 to every room price then I would not see this on my bill. Just leaves a negitive impression on your stay, might sound silly but I bet I am not the only one thinking this.

Overall 5 stars , keep up the good work and attention to detail.

• Stayed: January 2013
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear Marco7242,

Thank you very much for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very happy to have passed muster with your daughters and take that as a very nice compliment. It's important that grand old hotels such as ours are not seen as fuddy duddy or just for grown ups. I remember the excitement when I first showed my young boys around the hotel and the amazement in their faces at the size or everything.

Lets hope this first visit is the start of many more and I do accept your views over the car park charge.

Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was a Christmas present, my friend and I do not buy Christmas gifts but have a mini break each year. My son went to the Army Foundation College in Harrogate a few years ago and we came up many times but never got to 'see' Harrogate'. lovely hotel, brilliant very friendly staff. Very near to town centre, very easy walk and £3.50 brilliant for parking charges. Highly recommend

Room Tip: Decided to go for a premium room on 4th floor with view of grounds/Harrogate. Bit warm but no compla...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Kim F,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel in Harrogate. I'm really pleased that you selected us to stay in for your present to each other and really glad that you enjoyed your stay.

The Army Foundation College does bring lots of new visitors to Harrogate who develop a real fondness for the town and subsequently revisit us for years to follow.

Hopefully next year Santa may be equally kind !

Many thanks, Vince

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We took my husband's parents here for a weekend before Christmas. We chose it for its location and facilities. We would stay here again but do check the windows fit - see below.
The staff were very helpful, very polite and always spoke to you if they passed you in the corridor for example. We had the "old" rooms - they were cheaper than the refurbished ones but perfectly adequate in terms of size, very comfy beds - we had a twin - and good clean bathroom - not modern but absolutely fine. The aluminium framed windows let the room down as they didn't fit properly and the noise and howling wind were a problem. As soon as we realised we could hear the road we spoke to reception who explained that the alternative would be above the disco and wedding parties if we upgraded but that the traffic stopped at night. So we stayed put and they were right. Unfortunately a storm blew up overnight and howled around. It was only on getting up we realised that the main reason we'd been kept awake all night was the gap between the window and the frame - so we taped it up with sellotape for the Sunday night and the combination of tape over the gaps and the lack of a storm meant it was fine. The connecting door between the rooms meant sound proofing between the two rooms wasn't great - but fortunately it was my in-laws in that room - would suggest when they refurb that they sound proof the connecting door. I mentioned the tape and the windows to the Receptionist on leaving and she was effusive in her gratitude for us raising it with her and said Vince would get on to it straight away as they hadn't been made aware of it before. The breakfasts were fine with extensive choice. We complimented the waiting staff on their service and attitude and one woman told us that the staff liked to be happy and polite because it meant the visitors were which meant they were nice to the staff back so everyone was happy - yep - she was right and that was a real plus in my opinion. The bars are not cosy nor cheap as mentioned in other people's reviews. We did not eat dinner here as the first night we'd booked in to a restaurant in town and the second night we opted to go to the Italian again as it was so good and two coach parties had just turned up for the Christmas break so we thought we'd leave them to the restaurant. We didn't use the swim or gym - forgot about them. We were right next to the Royal Hall for a Christmas concert and the hotel has a footpath which virtually takes you to it and into town - really good. The Italian restaurant - Joe Rigatoni's - opposite the Royal Hall / pedestrian entrance to the hall is excellent. My in-laws really enjoyed their stay and were delighted that everything was so close as they are not very mobile. I would definitely reccommend a stay here if you want a large hotel with a range of facilities bang in the middle of town.

Room Tip: Get a deal - don't pay full price. Non-refurbished rooms are fine just check the windows fit an...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Francis R,

Thank you so much for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel and indeed for travelling so far to stay with us. From your feedback there were clearly many positives of this stay and I'm rightly proud of my team who do work hard to provide a good and friendly service.

I'm sorry about the bar being chilly, we've actually moved location during the daytime to our cosier wood panelled Regency Bar while the worst of Winter passes. Our bar prices are similar to most other large branded 4 star hotels, reflective of the delightful areas in which you can sample both drinks and food. They aren't cheap but are reasonable considering the surroundings.

Your coments regarding rooms are well made. Our traditional rooms served your needs and were well presented and clean and just what you needed. We are rechecking all the windows. From the very many prior reviews it's clear this isn't a major issue and our diligent maintenance team are usually ahead of the game.

I did enjoy reading your review and am sure that others will find it very helpful.

Hoping to welcome you back next time you have a get together. Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed January 13, 2013

myself and my partner stayed here for 2 x nights on the 27th december for a break from the christmas family rush! we stayed in a superior room which had been modernly refurbished room was stylish large and adequate for our needs both nights didn't sleep so well because the rooms still have the original steel frame windows thus causing high pitched squeals from the wind not very amusing. first night we ate in the bar and honestly the food was terrible £15 for a tikka masala that was watered down and tasteless, £15 for fish and chips was just ok, so food was a rip off. breakfast was excellent with lots of choice and cooked perfectly. i did think at £218 for 2 x nights with one breakfast was a little high, i doubt i will stay here again, but was good for our needs at that time.

Room Tip: get a lower floor room as the wind will not be as loud, free water in rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear north12345john<

Thank you for your review of the Majestic Hotel during the twixmas period. I'm very glad that you found your room well appointed and meeting your needs. We do have an elevated position in the town overlooking the town centre and it can be windy. Our windows are regularly serviced and special excluder kits fitted on a rolling schedule. I'm sorry the wind on this visit disturbed you.

It's dissappointing to learn of your bar food experience for which I apologise. we serve around 10,000 bar meals each year and usuaully receive good comments. I have taken your comments on board and appreciate your sharing them.

Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I was booked into this hotel for work, but will go back again for leisure!! Lovely old hotel, but the room was very modern, very big, and spotlessly clean! It had everything I needed for my stay, including free wifi (not something you get very often) I didn't eat in the restaurant for evening meal, so can't comment on the quality of food - the hotel is so convenient for all the local eateries, and there's plenty of choice in Harrogate!! Had a lovely stroll in the park nearby, made full use of the hotels leisure facilities - although a word to the wise, the pool is used for children's swimming lessons from 1530! I wasn't told this when I went for a swim!! The breakfast was good - plenty of choice, and cooked to order for those that want cooked breakfast. Would I stay here again?? Most definitely!!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Helen25364

Dear Helen25364,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel following your recent work related stay. It was lovely to read your comments and I do hope that you do revisit us for leisure time. It's a fair trek up the A1 but there's so much to see and do and savour in and around Harrogate.

Our swimming lessons in the pool are only for individuals or very small groups and do happen at many different times, usually not causing any issue.

With it being January and quieter than normal we are serving plated breakfasts which some guests prefer whilst other like the convenience of buffets. When we get busy we will return to a buffet format though.

Visit our website for some great deals. Many thanks, Vince