“Takes you back in time”
Review of The Majestic Hotel

The Majestic Hotel
Ranked #16 of 28 Hotels in Harrogate
Reviewed October 31, 2012

A lovely hotel if you like old ! The room was beautiful , bed lovely and comfy and very clean . Some parts of the hotel look a little tired and the big plastic sign on the roof needs replacing , its ugly and spoils the lovely majestic look of the exterior . The pool was nice but quite small and busy , I think the locals must use it as well . The jaccuzi had dirty frothy water in so obviously gets a lot of use . Food was fantastic and a lovely restaurant but wear something warm if you eat in there . Location great , parking good . The only downside was I pre-ordered and paid for a bottle of wine when I booked on the internet to be in our room and and to go and ask for it as it never appeared. Then they charged me for it when I had already pre-paid but was all sorted over the telephone when I got home and rang Puma hotels .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Helen A,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel following your recent stay. I'm very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay and yes, a select number of the "locals" are members of the Health Club though it is generally quiet outside of school holidays.

I am sorry for the difficulties encountered with your pre-ordered wine, which thankfully have been resolved. Our procedures in this regard have been improved.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards, Vince

Write a ReviewReviews (3,029)

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stay regularly at the Majestic Hotel as am originally from Harrogate and wouldn't stay anywhere else! If you take it for what it is - a hotel with true victorian character you will not be disappointed. The staff are attentive, the rooms exceed expectations and the location is perfect for a short walk into the heart of the beautiful town of Harrogate. The breakfast is wonderful and the staff do not rush you out so you can relax and enjoy the experience at your leisure. Our dog is always welcome and my 22, 19 and 11 year old children love it. I am visiting this weekend for a girlie spa break - great value for money. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Lordi751,

Thank you for your kind review and for sharing my passion for the Majestic. Thankfully there are many regular visitors who feel similarly and your praise encourages us to keep trying to maintain the high levels of service for which the old girl has been known over the years.

I'm sure you spa break will have been enjoyable as we receive nothing but praise on the treatments side.

Looking forward to your next stay. Kind regards, Vince

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Have stayed here on a couple of occasions whilst using the conference facility. The refurbished rooms are excellent and decorated with really style yet retaining a comfortable atmosphere.

Nice bar and public areas

I have not dined in the restaurant but only had breakfast which was poor at best and lets down a very good experience.

Good staff.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank RichardPurley

Dear RichardPurley,

Thank you for your kind review folowing your recent stay with us. I'm very glad to see that you enjoyed your short time with us though frustrated that you had a poor breakfast experience. Other reviews are generally indicating breakfast to be a positive element of their stay and I'm really sorry that this was not your experience.

I'm certain that on your next visit you will see a dramatic improvement.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

A great Hotel with plenty of character, excellent staff very attentive. We stayed in a newly refurbished premium room even though we had booked a standard room, this we were very pleased about.
The room was finished to a high standard, we will book a premium room next time we stay here.
Restaurant; breakfast and dinner was of very good quality and again the staff were excellent.
Well done, we will be back.

Room Tip: Premium room is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear cwbtravel,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very glad that you enjoyed your visit and hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Our new dinner menus have been launched since your visit.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon, Vince

Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed here for business over a few months and the staff were amazing.
Looked after me and kept the same room for me week after week.
I enjoyed my stay and will miss them.
Excellent location and right in the center of everything.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Pay75,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. Thank you also for chossing us as your preferred hotel while working in the area.

Our staff are a great team and it doesn;t surprise me that they looked after you so well. I am a very fortunate person to have them.

Perhaps you should revisit us for leisure next time. The daily direct trains to and from Kings Cross are continuing as so popular and next month BA restarts direct scheduled flights to Heathrow from Leeds Bradford Airport. There's no reason not to escape the City.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Despite torrential rain, my stay at the hotel was made very comfortable by caring, attentive staff. Rooms were tidy and spacious, the food very good, and the leisure centre clean and refreshing. One issue was the accessibility of the Harrogate Show halls - irritatingly, one must walk almost a full circle taking 15 minutes just to get to the main entrance: if you want to be there in a hurry, stay at the Holiday Inn! The Majestic should secure more rapid direct access into a dedicated entrance, or operate a shuttle in bad weather.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear Loopride,

thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I'm very glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our staff attentive.

For access to the Harrogate Centre, which we overlook, you do have to walk to one of the 4 different entrances, so it does depend which section your event is in. We do have brollies at Reception to borrow.

There are plans for an entrance on the hotel side though not for a little while.

Being Harroagte, it rarely rains so you're unlikely to have a similar issue when you next visit !

Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Stayed over two nights 19th-21st October for work purposes for a conference. Was attracted by the four stars and the proximity to the Harrogate International Conference Centre, was indeed only a five minute walk around the corner. Equally is a good short distance from Harrogate town centre too (10min walk). Having got there I did see Holiday Inn is even closer, having a connecting tunnel to HICC!!! Several B&Bs opposite HICC too were closer than the Majestic.

On arrival, found the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. Really liked them as they were helpful throughout my stay. The keycard for my room stopped working a few times, perhaps due to close proximity I kept it in regards to my mobile phone, and reception resolved this immediately. Asked reception staff for directions, and on another occasion for information about the hotel and both times they were friendly and made me feel comfortable. Check out was a smooth and trouble free period. It was busy as all conference delegates were leaving, I was in a queue of about 10people, but both reception ladies worked quickly and I was seen within only about 5minutes which was impressive. Would probably go on to say that the reception staff were the best staff in the whole hotel, and some of the best reception staff I've met at any hotel. Well done to the women who I met there. They were the best part of my stay.

On arrival saw car park charged £3.50/night. Did find that this gave me the impression of odd/unusual/greedy of hotel, as stated by other reviewers. Not normal practice of numerous other hotels I have stayed in the past, but maybe this is a Harrogate thing I don't know. Will not re-iterate other comments already made as is clear that manager/hotel will not be changing this carpark charging policy despite customer opinion. If there is a problem with non-guests using car park, surely would be more "guest-friendly" to issue permits to guests? plenty of other ideas than simply going for an easy option of charging car park to guests - if it is completely necessary then personally I'd rather have it included into price of stay from the beginning.

Went upto my single room on the third floor. Was very small, like a box room. However it was cosy, and was generally clean. Did not have much of a view, this did not concern me as I was at conference for most of day, and this was a business stay not a leisure stay. If you do stay for leisure I would recommend asking for a room with a view over their lovely gardens. The scenic gardens are beautiful, even on a cold October day!

The four main negatives of my room were:
1. the drinking glass provided in the bathroom was dirty - it had a lot of dried toothpaste at the bottom of it. This really did put me off and obviously I could not use it.
2. the dustbin in the bathroom did not work. The pedal you push at the bottom to lift the lid did not have that effect, and so I was bending down frequently to lift the lid manually. the one in the bedroom worked fine.
3. there is seriously not enough light in the room. There is no main ceiling light in the room which was inconvenient. I had to switch all three wall and table lamps and it was still a bit dark. This was echoed by my colleagues on other floors in other rooms - is this a dark themed hotel or something? did we miss this info??
4 lastly the walls were thin and I could hear tv of my neighbour. thankfully it was a colleague and we developed a wall knocking system to let each other know if volume was too high! this was amusing for us but i can imagine it being awkward if you are here to relax.

That said I slept really well in the clean bed which I was pleased to see had both one feather pillow and one normal pillow as I can't sleep with feather pillows this was great that I had the other option. The heating worked really well which I switched on all day and kept my room toasty warm. I had no problems with the great sized tv. I enjoyed the use of the small bedside table which was convenient, and I liked having the lamp switch by my headboard which again was convenient. The office desk was useful. There is a full length mirror which was great, as well as a large bathroom mirror and a third one by the desk.

I loved the breakfast buffet spread provided. food quality and choice was excellent. good selection of breads and cereals as well as hot english breakfast. One of the best breakfasts I've had at a large hotel. Staff on the whole good at breakfast- helpful and friendly. Only one morning of the two where my hot chocolate was given to a bemused couple next to me and I had to ask the lady again for mine.

During our gala dinner on Saturday night staff were again on the whole helpful and friendly, I requested more potatoes if possible for our table and after initially refusing waitress did in the end come back with a portion for which we were grateful.

I do agree with other reviewers that the pool and changing rooms in the hotel are not the nicest. I thought having a beauty room they would be like many other spa hotels I've visited with nice pool and sauna areas that are glamourous. But the facilities are basic, small sauna compared to health spa hotels, which of course it is not. Probably my fault for having those expectations. Showers in ladies are very much like a local leisure centre. Gym looked small but ok. Nice to get free towels. Unfortunately also when I went to use it on the Saturday night I was told that the jacuzzi was not working :( However the boy on the desk was very friendly and helpful. Remember to take a pound for the lockers - reception were kind enough to give me change.

Overall the service was excellent by all the staff - they are the part of the hotel experience that are definitely worthy of four star. Shame about the little things that let the room and hotel down, but then again it is the little things that make a difference to a hotel stay.

I would say to the manager who I'm sure will state that my complaint/constructive comments were not made formally during my stay, but quite frankly, like most British people I hate complaining in person - I genuinely never want to offend any staff, I don't want come across as moany, I don't want to come across as though I am wanting a free/discounted stay, I think problems should be identified by your own staff and not have to come from dissatisfied guests, people don't want to complain as we do worry that the staff will then inevitably talk about you and more inclined to be rude/deliver below par service to you from that point owwards and lastly I don't want to complain and ruin my own weekend.

Judging from the defensive and dismissive comments by the manager to previous dissatisfied reviewers, I don't expect any changes to be made following my comments either, so I would advise others to consider a stay here based on your priorities. It is not the sort of hotel I wouls choose for a social stay, but would stay on business if company paying. As I suggested in the title I would not be happy to stay here and have to pay with my own hard-earned money. Despite excellent service, I could not recommend the majestic for a social visit, only could say it was adequate for paid for business visit following my experience, for the current rates advertised and as a four star hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank ballroo
V_Johnson_GM, General Manager at The Majestic Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear ballroo,

Thank you for posting your review of the Majestic Hotel. I must say, that I found your review balanced and reasonable and enjoyed reading it.

To read that the Receptionists were the best you'd come across in any hotel and that the breakfast was one of the best you'd had in a large hotel, was very gratifying.

I am sorry for the shortcomings in standards in your room and to be fair we are in the process of finding the offending bin and replacing it. Thankfully we have very few singles on the third floor. Once located we will review the lighting to see if any imporvement is possible, even if just by upgrading the lightbulb output.

Your comments on complaining I fully endorse. When there are just minor issues then it should be our responsibility to pick them up and I wouldn't expect a guest to formally complain over them. My difficulty is with a reviewer who says their break was totally ruined for reasons not reported, this I find difficult. Your comments were constructive and helpful and I appreciated reading them as I'm sure will others.

Our rates (as with most hotels) fluctuate with demand and we do have some great offers on our website which would I'd hope add appeal to a social visit.

Again, my thanks for your extensive review, Vince