“Very disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 31 Hotels in Harrogate
London, United Kingdom
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

I came to Harrogate for a conference and was very disappointed of my stay in the Kimberley. The room service did forget to put toilet paper in our room, we had to walk to the reception and pick it up as no one bothered to service us. At the third day while showering, I suddenly held the shower head in my hand. I called the reception several times to fix it, they said they would do it, but I kept waiting in the room so that I can have my shower, and nothing happened. The breakfast was an absolute joke, we paid extra for it and what was there was a disgusting porridge which I had to stop eating after having one spoon, rolls were out (even though we came early) and even if there would have been decent bread there was nothing to put in. Food was not at all refilled. You might as well not eat. At the second day, the wifi suddenly stopped working and wasn't fixed until more than a day later. As I had to work in the evenings, this was a nightmare for me and I had to go to the city centre and find an internet café there. At the end of our stay, we complained but there was not reaction from staff. Staff generally seemed incredibly incompetent, with the exception of one or two ok people, the others just didn't even bothered to open their mouth, nor helping us in any way. When we left, another couple had trouble because their reservation was not taken up properly. It is really a mistery to me how this hotel managed to get 4 stars, I would have given it 2 at most. Unfortunately can't recommend at all and will not come back here for next years conferences!

Room Tip: We stayed in a room on the lower ground floor and it seems other people have had bad experiences her...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jawe_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Turkish first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Excellent hotel very clean in a fantastic location!!! We had a kgb voucher for £59 for one night stay with breakfast and a bottle of wine! Well worth the money especially as they swapped the bottle of red wine for rose! Room was nice and clean! Breakfast was nice but with it being a buffet there wasnt enough food out at once and we had to wait approx 20 minutes for some sausages! My boyfriend also overheard staff saying "dont be taking loads of food out we are closing soon" thats fair but if breakfast finishes at 10 there should be food available until this time!!! Overall very good but breakfast needs to be more organised!!

• Stayed October 2012
dundee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

enjoyed a two night stay , good breakfast nice surroundings, naledi on reception is an asset
to the hotel, so very friendly and very helpful. our room in the anex was lovely. only complaint
was a £6. 00. per night charge for car parking in the hotels own car park., but wouldnt put us off
returning, as it is within easy walking distance of the city centre. well worth a visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrsicool
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

This hotel is clean, quiet and only a short stroll from the town centre. Staff were friendly and helpful, the reception is welcoming and also stylish. My room was clean and ok but the bed wasnt brilliant and i could feel the springs through the mattress. The bathroom was ok with a good shower but it was a little cramped. There is a car park at the rear of the hotel but they charge you £6 to park in it, a bit cheeky i thought.

All in all decent value place that i can only give a 3, a couple of tweaks here and there and it could be closer to a 4. Id stay again though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rich2112
Oludeniz, Turkey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

just got back last night from two nights at the kimberley hotel. a lovely hotel the rooms are modern clean and spacious. bathrooms beautiful, large flat screen tv comfy beds and black out curtains could of slept all day. staff helpful only down side had to wait for a table on sunday for breakfast but it was worth waiting for cooked breakfast or kippers or omlettes poached eggs etc. easy walk into town centre. we ate at caradom black indian it was the best curry i have ever had,saturday lunch was tapas at dinos for £9 each eight courses of the finest food, then on to revolution for cocktail master class very funny and a great laugh we did plenty of shopping and the quality of the shops are as good as york. a wonderful weekend with great friends in a fantastic hotel

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank HawkesHawkesbowland
manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

My Wife and I had another lovely stay at the Kimberley. Again its fantastic value for money, I really don't know how (or why even) they do it, but I'm glad they do. We did the summer sizzler deal db&b and a bottle of Prosecco. Our room was in the separate new block of the hotel, very large and comfortable with a great bathroom and massive lcd tv. I'd prefer to stay in the main building in future just for a bit more character. Dinner was lovely, great choice off a set menu or discount of the main menu. The only reason i have not given 5 stars this time is the bar/restaurant setup. The restaurant is now a franchise apparently so you can not charge drinks or extras to your room while having dinner??? This was explained to me by staff while I was having dinner. I don't really think the hotels business strategies have got anything to do with me and I definitely don't want to here about them over dinner. We also had to point out that coffees were included in the deal and get them knocked off the bill (which you cant charge to your room). The other little let down was the residents bar. If you want a tipple after hours you get to sit in the breakfast area and get served through a hatch in the wall. No atmosphere what so ever, just a room of confused residents wondering why we could not all go and sit in the nice hotel bar...strange. We gave it a miss. Good breakfast and perfectly located Top tip for drinks in Harrogate, Halesbar and the Fat Badger.
Despite my mark downs will be back!

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the main building for a bit more character.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dave1051
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stopped here for 2 nights with a KGB deal and were most impressed with the hotel and staff. Our room was luxurious and the breakfast buffet really good with evening meal excellent. However we were unable to reserve a table util 9pm which was too late for us to eat! We did however walk into town (just a short 10 minute stroll) and found the cattlemans association which we loved, being western fans. The ony real problem we had was with the limited car park spaces (which we had to pay for). People were parking in non designated places which could have resulted in cars being damaged. I would return here again :)

Room Tip: Park early to ensure you have a space and make reservations for dinner as soon as possible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple