“Can't beat it!”

Ranked #38 of 384 Restaurants in Harrogate
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery
Description: Fodder is the home of tasty, local, food based on the Great Yorkshire Showground in Harrogate. Fodder sells the very best food and drink from Yorkshire; with a fully stocked butchery counter, a deli counter laden with fresh pies, pasties and amazing cheese. Fruit and veg straight from the farms and lots of lovely jams and chutneys alongside freshly baked local bread and mouthwatering cakes. Fodder also has a lovely cafe which serves everything from a full Yorkshire Breakfast through to cream teas and an extensive lunch menu. Fodder is run and championed by the Yorkshire Agricultural Society and acts as a shop window for local farmers and producers giving a crucial local market for their produce. The shop is Britain's first charitable food hall with all profits re-invested to benefit the rural community. Fodder is dedicated to delivering the best possible service to its customers. In fact, we have regular mystery shopping reviews to help maintain their high standards of customer care.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Love this place! I've popped into Fodder for coffee and lunches on many occasions. The food is excellent quality and locally sourced with a great choice in the menu. Even the soups are consistently delicious, recently I tried a broccoli and blue cheese soup... WOW! Also, if you are a coffee snob like me then you'll be impressed by the coffee at Fodder. The Coopers coffee they use is my new favourite and it's nice to go to a cafe where I get my coffee at a drinkable temperature, where the milk is not steamed to ten million degrees.

I bought all of my meat for Christmas from Fodder and I can honestly say it was the best meat I've ever bought from a butchery. It may cost more than the supermarkets, but the price is completely justified.

The staff are all super friendly and willing to help. Great service all round and I always have a bit of banter with the waiters in the cafe when I pop in.

... oh! And I've just found out it's a charity! BONUS POINTS!!!

Keep it up Fodder!

1  Thank againfaster

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have had a number of lunches at Fodder at various times of the year and all have been excellent. People are happy to queue because it is so well organised that the waiting time seems never to be very long. All the staff are courteous, friendly and efficient. Nothing too much trouble for anyone. The menu is quite small but very varied and plenty of choice for vegetarians and people needing gluten free food. You must go if you are in the Harrogate area even if only for the fabulous cakes. The shop area has a wide variety of different produce, much of it local and all fresh food is of excellent quality and very reasonably priced - and I am from Yorkshire so that's a compliment. The butchers counter is outstanding. Don't miss it.

1  Thank Marilyn M
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Wonderful staff seated our family of 14 together for a delicious Sunday lunch. They weren't over faced by the large number and nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent. Although I have been going there since it opened this was the first time with such a large party. If you are ever in Harrogate it is well worth a visit.

1  Thank Diana T
Reviewed December 29, 2013

The staff at Fodder are wonderful and are always keen to help and accommodate our various requests. My husband and I visited on the evening of Friday 20th December, not to eat but to assist in the preparation of our meat order for Christmas. I require a gluten free diet and have previously made up my own gluten free stuffing balls, taken them to Fodder, and will the help of Paul the Head Butcher have made up my own chicken parcels. On this occasion I had made up my own gluten free stuffing, which was added to some gluten free black pudding, this time with lots of help from Callum, we had a piece of pork loin stuffed for our Christmas dinner as well as the usual supply of chicken parcels, again with my own gluten free stuffing. Paul and Callum were working through the night to prepare orders for customers for Christmas and yet they still had time for us as well as providing an excellent service and excellent meat for our Christmas dinner - thank you!

Reviewed December 26, 2013

If you like good food, you will love Fodder! The brilliant farm shop has provided us with one of the tastiest christmas's ever...the star of the show was a bronze, free range, herb fed turkey - so much more than bootiful! We get all our veg their too - great quality and at a surprisingly low price (but don't tell them I said that!). And after a 'hard time' food shopping there is a delicious cafe perfect for coffee and cake and/or a lovely lunch. Great food, served well (even the side salads are nice and inventive). This place really is Yorkshire at its best and I can confirm it is a very tasty county.