“Fantastic afternoon tea”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Fantastic afternoon tea”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

Me and my fiancee recently visited the old swan for afternoon tea. We were greated at the bar by friendly barman who took our drinks order.we were seated outside and waiting for the food. The afternoon tea consisted of lovely finger sandwiches,scones,victoria sandwich and lovely choux pastry swans.all were absolutley gorgeous.i would definetly recommend this hotel for afternoon tea.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank purplenev

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“4 night stay organised tour”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

we were with a group of around 30 people on a 'heritage railway' tour, we were well looked after, staff helpful and friendly and the hotel had a nice atmosphere. the menu had plenty of choice and the food was well above our expectations considering we were travelling as a group. would definitely stay again.

• Visited May 2013
“Super Steve saved our friends wedding”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed for our friends wedding on the last weekend of June, the hotel itself looks a bit run down and the rooms are very dated, terrible food and NO free wifi, however if you make your way to the bar you'll come across a lovely young gentleman called Steve, the savour of our trip, he is the bar supervisor and a true legend, this young lad maybe mid 20's, but he worked all day and night till 4 in the morning putting up with our rowdy bunch, we then saw him at 9 the next morning, he had actually worked all the way through the night and still greeted us with a smile and a how do you do, if it wasn't for this bar legend we would not go back, I'm pretty proud to say that yes I do have a bit of a man crush on him, but why is a young lad like that not your bar manager???? he's the only good thing we found in your hotel and the only good thing you have, me and my wife hope he will take us up on our offer to come back down south, we own a pub and are looking for staff and let me tell you when your looking for a good bar man it's hard to find a gem like him. Thank you Steve and if you ever do find your self back down south then we'll give you the bar manager job you deserve. Steve what a legend!!!!

• Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Nice Break”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed at The Old Swan a number of times, and I can understand to a degree that the place looks a little tied some and requiring a touch of TLC. However, we have just returned from a short break there and upon arrival had changed our mind on the Executive room and requested a upgrade as it was my wife's birthday.

Staff really helpful and accommodating, upgrade at a very reasonable price and ended up with a four poster!

Really enjoyed the stay and will be returning, on the room front I feel it is a little hit and miss dependent upon your luck, as stated, some rooms are looking tied and need a bit of attention, but that's NOT the staffs fault.

Breakfast was acceptable, they appear to have done away with the self serve which I feel was better, but that's a cost exercise I am sure.

The only thing with a lot of people that stay there is they expect to be treated like royalty, and I'm sorry, but the hotel is not that expensive, so not sure what you expect for your money but it's excellent value overall.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank sally b
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wouldn't go back. Better service at a premier inn and that's saying something.”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed 1 night as a treat and break from the kids.
On approach the hotel looks lovely but that's as good as it gets.
On arrival you are greated by a recepionist that's is scruffy and not very interested in you being there.
On entering the room we found it stuffy and very warm, so warm we found out we hardly slept a wink (even with the window open all night).
I asked for fresh milk in the room for my cup of tea, after half an hour I contacted reception again to see if I could fetch it myself as the tea I had made had gone cold and was sick of waiting. Only for the receptionist to blame the porter, who was taking wedding guests bags to there room. Which made me laugh as all the guests were at the wedding so really didn't care at that moment if there bags had got to there room.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening but wish we hadn't the food was sub standard and the portions were tidy. The waiting staff were scruffy and eager for you to have coffee in the bar so they could go.
Breakfast was of the same standard, very small portions, slow service and the food was tesco value standard at best.
The wedding that was taking place clearly took all staff away from the hotel and the rest of the guests were not important or taken care of.
On the plus the cleaning lady was smart, helpful, very jolly and did her job well.
A management shakeup needs to happen now to sort out and train the staff in customer service, something that's rather important in this kind of work.

• Visited May 2013