“Michelin star just around the corner”
Review of van Zeller - CLOSED

van Zeller
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Van Zeller restaurant in Harrogate has a chef of rare gifts in native Yorkshireman Tom Van Zeller. Creating delicious and innovative British cuisine is the mission here, and one that has succeeded admirably. The smart dining room is both stylish and comfortable, a fine, intimate bistro-style setting for the kitchen's high ambitions. Chef Van Zeller started his career locally at the famous Betty's Tearooms and Rudding Park before learning his craft in some Michelin-starred restaurants in London, Sydney and New York. Now returning to his roots, Van Zeller won the backing of esteemed restaurateur David Moore (two Michelin starred Pied a Terre and Michelin starred l'Autre Pied) in creating Van Zeller restaurant. Almost immediately, his creative cuisine has earned Van Zeller Best Newcomer at the 2010 Northern Hospitality Awards, Best Chef at the 2010 Harrogate Hospitality & Tourism Awards and a pair of AA rosettes. Van Zeller is one of Harrogate's destination restaurants.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Michelin star just around the corner”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Great food delivered in a warm environment with first class service. Tom van Zeller is an incredibly talented chef at the top of his game. The early evening menu is great value. Well worth a trip to Harrogate.

HK-PH1, Owner at van Zeller, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hi jonkbell_11, thank you for your comments – I felt quite shy reading them! I hope to see you at van Zeller again soon. Tom van Zeller.

adelaide
“Overpriced”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We recently had dinner here and although the food was excellent we felt it was overpriced. The meal is advertised as 5 courses for £49 with a supplement for some of the main dishes. However it really is a 3 course meal as the intermediate servings could not be considered courses. The restaurant is small and when full might be crowded and noisy. There were only a few diners when we were there. The service was excellent. There are many better value restaurants in Harrogate. I think it would be more honest to advertise this as a 3 course meal.

HK-PH1, Owner at van Zeller, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Hi expatozAdelaide, sorry to hear that although you enjoyed the meal the menu style wasn’t to your taste. The amuse bouche and pre-dessert courses are part of the experience and aim to give you a taste of exciting flavours without being overbearing. We do also offer an à la carte menu which may be more to your liking. Thanks again for your comments, Tom van Zeller.
n.yorkshire, england
“grest food, uncomfortable seating”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Have been several times to VZ, first time was allocated a banquette seat and have avoided these ever since..too high, too hard, you end up leaning forward and towering over your dining companion. The ordinary dining chairs (fake leather', high back. Ikea like) are almost equally uncomfortable as some are now showing signs of age and the seats are sagging, so you end up perched on the wooden edge and leaning forward, I has back ache half way through the starter. I asked for another chair and was given an unsagging one. This is a restaurant with a deservedly good name for food, but they really need to address the seating problem by trying them out themselves for 2 hours!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank madmaisie1
HK-PH1, Owner at van Zeller, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Hi madmaisie1 thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear you had a problem with the seating, it is always useful for us to gain feedback from our diners and I will be taking your comments on board. Thanks, Tom van Zeller.
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

I went here for lunch with my partner. We went midweek and had a 5 course lunch menu. The choice on the 5 course was good (there were a lot of other options for 7 course, a la carte etc) and the value for money was great.
The quality of food was just superb and I would highly recommend it to anyone. My favourite course has to be the Tonka Bean pudding it was just amazing!
Service was great, location was central and very easy to find. No direct parking but loads of places to park in Harrogate so no problems there.
If your in the area it's well worth a visit.

HK-PH1, Owner at van Zeller, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Hi SamJoL, thanks for taking the time to review van Zeller and I’m pleased you enjoyed the lunch menu, the Tonka bean pudding in particular! I hope to see you back at the restaurant soon. Tom van Zeller.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Fine dining at it's best”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I'd come to Harrogate for the weekend with my boyfriend for his birthday and came across this restaurants website, noting that it had won awards and served inventive and locally sourced dishes I eagerly made a reservation- and was not disappointed! From the offset the restaurant was superb. A simplistic interior with just the right amount of tables to make it intimate but not overcrowded, extremely helpful and attentive staff who explained the menu and dishes as they arrived at the table, and as for the food...all I can say is wow! We opted for the 5 course a la carte menu, on arrival we were given a delicious tapioca and aubergine crisp covered with caviar and a ''mini cheddar-esque'' cracker, this was followed by an amuse bouche made with truffled potato which was creamy and extremely moorish. We were also offered a variety of breads and I chose the walnut and raisin bread which was amazing! I then opted for the asparagus starter served with goats cheese and ducks egg- so beautifully presented It seemed a shame to eat it! For my main course I had the halibut served with beetroot and it was cooked to perfection and sublime, I wanted to lick the plate! We were then served the pre dessert which was an extremely refreshing combination of iced lemony goodness mixed with sharp apricot and creamy slightly nutmeggy milk pudding- perfect to clense the palate just in time for my ''Raspberry'' dessert which was out of this world! We rounded off the meal with some coffees and chocolates, a perfect end to a perfect meal. Would recommend this place to anyone who appreciates fine dining and something a little different, excellent value for a special occasion.

2 Thank rachel j
HK-PH1, Owner at van Zeller, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Hi Rachel, thank you for your feedback, I’m glad you enjoyed the meal – so much so you wanted to lick the plate, that’s what we like to hear! I hope you enjoyed your weekend in Harrogate and hope you’ll visit us again when you’re back in the area. Tom van Zeller.