“Friendly owners and brilliant location.”
Review of The Camberley

The Camberley
Ranked #10 of 100 Harrogate B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Friendly owners and brilliant location.”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

ARRIVAL - The car park is fairly small and has a narrow entrance. We had to wait at the door a while as the staff could not hear the doorbell. We had to telephone someone to open the door. We were able to use the loo and were given keys even though it was not time to book in. This was good but the back door can be quite difficult to lock. The reception area was adequate but dark and dated. The hall stairs and landing were light and had a lovely bouncy red carpet. When I used the toilet on the first floor, I found that the hot tap did not work.

BEDROOM - this was large and had a lovely bay window. The curtains looked new and were red but they did not keep much light out due to them not being lined. The pillows were brilliant as they were well stuffed and comfortable. The bed was also comfortable. The decor was good but the use of masking tape would have improved the finish. Tea, coffee and milk were provided and a full size kettle. However, there was only one packet of two biscuits. After we had eaten the biscuits another packet was put in our room the following day. It is the first place I have stayed where two people have had to share one packet of biscuits. While unpacking, I wish I had brought coat hangers as there were very few in the wardrobe and they were not very good.

BREAKFAST - guests are able to make their own toast which I love as I hate having cold toast. There could have been a larger selection of cereal as most of them were flake based and my wife loves rice crispies and cocopops. Juice is available for self-service and the bottles they are served in are good. There is a good supply of jams and one of the owners told us to ask if we could not find our favourites as they had more available. The breakfast was good and cooked fresh. The sausage is very tasty. The only thing that I did not like about breakfast was that white and brown sugar lumps were in the same bowl. This made it impossible to obtain white sugar lumps without using our fingers.

OWNERS - very knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. We learned a lot about Harrogate without leaving the building.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Kim143, Owner at The Camberley, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
This type of review saddens us as many of the issues you mention could have been resolved immediately had they been mentioned to us at any point – for example the biscuits, we have a bowl with extras in located on the reception desk so anyone who would like extra tea, coffee, milk etc can help themselves at any time should they wish to have more. I would say the same of the cereal if it had been mentioned we could have provided you with coco-pops as we keep them on hand as they are very popular with children – we took them off the buffet and replaced them with our award winning muesli as rice crispies especially simply weren’t being eaten – for future guests our full menu plus buffet options are all written in detail on the breakfast menu page of our web site – if you have any special requests or requirements please let us know when booking and we will do our best to accommodate you.

As regards the entrance to the car park – this is not something we can ever change as the trees on either side are covered by a protection order, however we have had a multitude of vans (transit and sprinter) park with us without difficulty, I would however advise people pull in forward into the car park and reverse out as this is much easier than the other way around. I would also point out with the beginning of the remodelling of the back of the property which we are hoping to start shortly we will gain an extra half a parking space which will give more space to manoeuvre.

I would also state as it does on all our forms of booking that our check in time is 2pm – this is due to the time between 11.30 and 2pm being the time we use for any errands or shopping to be done, this being so there will only be the chamber maid available to check you in – and unfortunately on this occasion she forgot to take her electronic bell with her to the top landing, therefore necessitating me having to ring her to come and let you in and leading to the short delay. If guests inform us prior to their arrival they will be early or at a particular time we do our best to make sure we are on hand.

We thank you for your positive comments on the décor which made me smile as we are pulling out the bathroom from the 2nd of June and hopefully shortly afterwards redecorating the entire room with the professional decorator we have used for all the other bedrooms who does an amazing job for us – we will also be changing the colour scheme to chocolate and cream and replacing the curtains.

As regards coat hangers there should be 6 for each guest (ie double room at least 12) of the plane black plastic variety – however these do seem to walk out the door with guest’s clothes which may have been the case, again you simply had to ask for more hangers I keep several packs on standby for just this reason.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014

SATNAV directs you into the car park at the rear of The Camberley, neat trick as the road out front is very busy and you can't pull-up/park...
Greeted on arrival by very friendly owner, Kim and shown to our room, No9. The room was compact but had everything we needed. Only a 5 minute stroll into town so a fabulous location and value for your money. Never sleep very well away from home, so after a restless night it was nice to be greeted by a friendly smile and a scrumptious freshly cooked breakfast the next morning. Kim let us leave our car after check out, enabling us to explore/shop stress free, much appreciated. The Camberley is slowly undergoing improvements and we will definitely stay here again next time we visit Harrogate

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JRiceManchester
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I stayed here for one night, arrived early evening very hungry and tired to a warm welcome and although no evening meals are offered given take out menus and directed to the nearby eateries which Harrogate is known for. I opted for take out and within minutes was provided with crockery and cutlery so that I could enjoy my meal comfortably. The room was clean, fresh and warm.

The best though was yet to come! The breakfast was delicious. They use locally sourced produce including Harrogate's renowned coffee and tea, Taylor's. Everything was cooked beautifully and presented well.

The young couple that run the camberley are doing an excellent job and I would recommend this B&B to friends & family unreservedly.

Room Tip: Go for a room at the back if you are bothered by traffic noise as the front faces quite a busy road.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Lymm, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Kim the proprietor welcomed us showed us to our romms and made us feel very welcome during our stay. 10 of us stayed over three nights. Breakfast was prompt and plenty of it. The rooms were well furnished with comfortable beds. Ample parking and excellent location for the exhibition centre and many restaurants and Betty's.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
halifax west yorkshire united kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014

first time at this hotel,a gift from daughter for two nights,could not have been better room was great in the overlooking the conferance centre,host was so friendly and nothing was to much trouble, breakfast was cooked as you ordered and was really good.nice young couple kim & simon we wish them well, thank you jane&tom oakley

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sheffield
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This was our first overnight stay in Harrogate and we definitely chose the right accommodation. Great central location, a really comfortable bed and top quality produce for breakfast. A special mention to Kim who is a fabulous host. She is friendly, has a great sense of humour and is welcoming without being over the top.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KandESheffield
Kim143, Owner at The Camberley, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thank you for your kind review - we can't tell which room you stayed in but would like to take this opportunity to let our future guests know we have just redecorated room 7 and are eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new bedroom furniture! we are also redecorating room 10 starting on 23rd of February with a new cream and tan colour scheme. (all rooms and styles are shown under bedroom information on our web site)
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2014

For the first time in 18 years I was free to have two nights "me" time as my children were spending time with their friends.I wanted peace and quiet in a B&B in much loved North Yorkshire.
I chose the Camberley because I had read all the reviews and it didn't disappoint.
I was given a twin bedded room on the first floor which was very comfortable and clean. The owners even put a fan heater in the room and I was very glad of it as I am always cold.
Kimberley was more than helpful in guiding me to the best places to eat in Harrogate .
Breakfast was amazing-all locally sourced produce. As soon as you enter teh breakfast room Kimberley was there to take your order of tea or coffee..You helped yourself to a huge variety of cereals,yogurts and fresh fruit and fruit juice-made your own toast-the freshly cut bread was amazing-and to jams,marmalade and honey. Cooked breakfast was basically anything you wanted and eggs done any way you like. It was plus plus value for money and sooo relaxing and welcoming.
The down side for some may be that the rooms are on three floors-not a problem for me-I am fit but maybe an issue for older folk.
finally a small negative issue from me was the noise of the pipes every time anyone used the loo in the night.
But..I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If stairs are an issue then ask for a ground floor or first floor room is possiblerwhen you book
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo