“So handy for the HIC”
Review of Scotia House

Scotia House
Ranked #24 of 99 Harrogate B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Booked because of its situation close to the HIC, this was an excellent choice for a single person for 1 night. When I arrived I was greeted warmly and given a 24hour parking card for the neighbouring street. This worked very well, as I found a space immediately. (Parking at the HIC is very expensive). My room was very small but comfortable and filled with thoughtful touches - the bathrobe was a surprise. Another review comments on noisy bathrooms. I didn't hear other bathrooms, but the fan which came on whenever the light was switched on in my bathroom did continue for some time. The breakfast menu was extensive and the freshly cooked full English was excellent. I would certainly use the hotel again if I was attending a conference or other function in Harrogate.

Room Tip: My room was at the front facing the HIC. I did hear people passing by but not enough to be a nuisanc...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed April 9, 2013

My mother and I spent two nights at the Scotia House for a weekend to celebrate her birthday. We booked a twin en suite and I emailed the guest house beforehand to obtain information on car parking and whether we may store our things in the hotel should we arrive early. We were responded to quickly and with plenty of information.
On arrival we were allowed to park (with a permit) within the bays along the road just off Kings Road 2 mins walk from the hotel. As our room was ready we were able to check in early too which was a pleasant bonus as it meant that we could then head out for the day rather than having to trudge back mid afternoon to get our things.
The owners are a lovely couple who have had the guest house for two years. All really well presented in neutral tones in a surprisingly quiet area on Kings Road, opposite the conference centre. We caught a glimpse of the suite at the front of the hotel which looked very spacious and airy with a large bay window. Our twin at the top of the house was nicely decorated in neutral tones again however absolutely tiny I’m afraid to say and although just about manageable for our two night stay it was incredibly cramped for two ladies and our belongings with just a small wardrobe, a few small drawers and a desk which is an awful shame. The bathroom was small but adequate with toiletries, clean fluffy towels, bath robes and all lovely and clean. This room I feel would suffice for a one night stay or as a single room but I would certainly consider upgrading to the suite should we decide to stay again.
Breakfast was lovely with plentiful fruit juice, fresh fruit, pastries and cereal plus jams and spreads, yogurts and anything else you require you just need to ask. Breakfast is cooked to order and tea/coffee made to order. 0800-0900 is the only time breakfast is served-also a bit of a shame especially at weekends when guests may wish to lie in a little but this is just a little quibble.
The only major complaint we would have about the guest house would be in regards to the noise experienced in our room seemingly from running water. This appeared to occur whenever toilets were flushed, taps were run or the shower was switched on in neighbouring rooms and sounded almost as though a train was passing nearby. Should you be a heavy sleeper you needn’t worry about this, however as fairly moderate to light sleepers this was a major disturbance which awoke us several times throughout our two nights here. I cannot comment on whether this is the case in all rooms here and I ask that you don’t take my comment as a reflection of all rooms at the Scotia House.
Upon settling up prior to us leaving we were provided with some information on where to park in York (where we were spending the day) and where to eat which was a nice touch. Very hospitable staff indeed.
Finally, at £165 for a two night stay I would say this is a little overpriced in my personal opinion. Although a very nice B&B it was nothing overly special for the price, particularly with the cramped conditions in the room and the noise experienced. However saying this, for the right price I would consider staying again in the larger suite room.

Room Tip: The twin room (room 3) is very small-pack light if staying for more than 1 night!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed over on NYE 2012, and chose Scotia House because my sister and her partner had previously stayed and received a good service.

The owner is lovely, and greets you with and informal but friendly welcome! She gave us advice on where to go for NYE, as we hadn't totally planned what we were going to do. The owners knowledge of Harrogate is excellent, and we had a really good night!

The rooms were on the small side, however beautifully decorated, extremely clean and warm. The whole building is decoarated to a very high standard, and you can see the work and effort that's been put into this place, and the work and effort to keep up it's high standards.

We had a slight mis-hap with the main front door when we returned back, in that there was a coding system on the internal door, and we hadn't been given the code, or explanied to, how to get it... Needless to say, the code was on the keyring, but after having a few too many V&T's, logic did go out of the window, and we had to knock on the door for the owners to let us in, which luckily they were ok with! Apologies to the 'Posh Guests'...

We didn't make it down for breakfast, as it was being served at 8:30, which was too early for myself and my husband to eat, expecially after having a late night, so I can't comment on the food. However, I'm sure it would have been lovely.

Great place to stay, & great hosts. Close to some lovely restaurants, and a short walk to some really good nightlife! Will definitely be returning!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013

But everything else fully met or exceeded our expectations. Our room was extremely comfortable and the breakfast much more than adequate. The location is good for exploring the city, the only downside being some limitation on nearby, but free, parking.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed at this boutique b&b late December.
Couple who run it are brilliant, very welcoming, nothing too much bother. It was our Silver Wedding anniversary, when we came back from a dinner out, which the proprietor rang and booked for us, we found a card and a box of Chocolates in our room. A lovely gesture.
The whole house is immaculate and bedroom was beautifully decorated.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

1/3/2013 to 3/03/2013, Just returned from a fantastic weekend break at Scotia House. What a lovely hotel,we stayed in King Suite(no.2), what a gorgeous room. The owners are very welcoming,very helpful they could not do enough for us. Breakfast was lovely and filling. We highly recommend, if going to Harrogate to stay here.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my girlfriend for one night and it made the trip.

Amazing B & B and breakfast was perfect.

I have the say the pillows in room 2 are the comfiest I have ever slept on, best nights sleep for a long time.

• Stayed: February 2013