“Delicious food!”
Review of Chez La Vie - CLOSED

Chez La Vie
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Delicious food!”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I enjoyed a 2 course meal here during our weekend stay in Harrogate. We were welcomed at 8pm on a Friday by friendly staff and shown to a lovely table. Our drinks order was brought promptly and we decided on paté and crepe de canard to start, then venison and volaille à la creme for mains. Both the starter and the mains were delicious, my only criticism would be that the side dishes (frites et petits pois) were a little unimaginative.
There's an excellent selection of dishes on the menu and a reasonably priced prix fixe section.
I enjoyed a latté for dessert which was served with a chunk of home-made brownie - deeeelish!
All in all, a lovely evening and a total bill of £48 for two starters, two mains, 2 cokes, 1 glass of wine, 1 still water and a latté.
We'd definitely dine here again!

• Visited July 2013

Dublin
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

This was a wonderful welcoming restaurant to visit. Food and ambience were excellent with a great variety to choose from. The wine list was really good and it is always a great sign to see good house wines at very affordable prices. The waiters were very attentive. We went early on a Saturday night and it didn't take too long for the restaurant to fill up and it was easy to see why.

Prices were very reasonable and I would highly recommend Chez la Vie.

Visited June 2013
Yorkshire - England
“Great Sunday lunch”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I went to Chez la Vie on Sunday for lunch for a bit of a change. It was too hot to cook! It was our first time as a couple although my wife had been before but I was a Chez virgin. Excellent two course lunch for £11.95 with a good choice of both starters and main courses. Very good attentive service and nice food. Just beware of the service charge which I did not notice at first and was going to leave a tip also. With a couple of drinks the bill came to about £35 so not quite as cheap as I was expecting but worth the cost anyway. We ate at 14.15 and my wife thought the roast potatoes were a bit hard having been cooked sometime before. It did not detract from our enjoyment of the meal however.

• Visited June 2013
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Good value lunch!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Been a while, but it nice as I remember. Fish cakes always a winner. Nice choice of mains I went for the belly pork. Which was lovely. Managed to squeeze a crumble in afterwards. One of the things I love about this place, it only a small thing , but they always offer bread and then more bread once you've finished your bread. Most places it's one roll/slice and that's your lot. Small thing I know, but makes a difference.

• Visited April 2013
tamworth
“Enjoyed the wine and the food but the service was lacklustre.”
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on spec very hungry soon after eight one evening. They didn't seem over pleased to see us but we were seated and served drinks promptly - a very nice bottle Viognier. We waited ages to order food, ate all the bread they'd brought etc. Anyway we finally ordered and the food came reasonably soon. We all enjoyed our starters very much. And they offered us more bread. Main courses were good too. The beef bourguignon looked a little dry but ok. The crispy pork was well received though the boulangier potato was Uninspiring. It comes as a sort of garnish to the meal as you get fries and peas automatically. I really enjoyed the beef medallions. All the meals were good enough and we enjoyed them. We then waited ages before pudding menus and ages to be asked what we wanted. Which was coffee - you know ordinary coffee - which isn't on the menu but they happily made us some fresh filter coffee when asked. So all in a very pleasant evening just needing a little more effort on the service front.

• Visited May 2013