“A very mixed bag”

Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
South Yorkshire
“A very mixed bag”
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel before, prior to the current management. I travel frequently to Peterborough and thought I would retun to the Great Northern. The building is lovely with some very interesting features but there are some key customer services issues to resolve. During my stay, there was no working Wifi, confusion when I asked for lunch on day 1 as to whether it could be arranged, a room door that was extremely difficult to close, a non functioning shower, a cleaner who sprayed cleaning fluid on my husband's head and then flicked a duster all around him, confusion on reception with guest bookings, an eternity to wait for staff to appear in the dining room to take dinner orders in my 2nd day, so much so that I thought dinner was not being served.

I would love to return to this hotel as the location and charm of the place are lovely.

The management team though have much work to do in my opinion before I could feel confidence in this hotel. The bricks and mortar are there so there should be good foundations to right the customer service issues.

• Stayed November 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I often have an hour or two between trains at Peterborough station and instead of using the station facilities go to the excellent quiet unpretentious bar at the Great Northern Hotel. Good bar meals but most of all very pleasant helpful staff.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Norfolk, UK
Reviewed October 21, 2011

The service and attention to detail is always outstanding at this hotel; it is perfectly situated outside Peterborough station and at the terminus of the X1 bus route which runs half hourly throughout Norfolk and Cambridgeshire.

The receptionists are always friendly and happy to deal with any situation that arises, (I was delayed, so they helpfully checked in my partner when I called them as he arrived before me - but my name was on the booking).

The hotel is beautiful with generously proportioned rooms thoughout, our room overlooked the station and was spotlessly clean and well presented. Bottles of spring water were provided in addition to all the bathroom essentials such as pleasantly-scented soap, shower soap and shampoo. Our huge bed was comfortable with lots of pillows and a huge flatscreen TV with digital channels did not disappoint.

Breakfast is included and served in a large beautifully decorated room on the ground floor. Hot breakfasts are cooked to order and appear quickly on warm plates, and there is a good selection of cereals, fruit juice and continental options.

Best of all, a level crossing at the entrance to the hotel connects you straight to the entrance to the Railway station so that you can commence your rail journey refreshed and in style.

Thank you to the all the staff at this hotel and we look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Room 215 is excellent - and rooms on the South Side are well - proportioned
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jannie_X
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2011

We arrived to find the manager screaming and shouting at staff as we walked in the front door. We really should have left at this point but we carried on and checked in. The receptionist apologised only to have the manager scream at her for apologising to us. During our stay the manager went from laughing and joking to scream fit on a number of occasions. This man seems to have no idea what customer service is!

The hotel has no lift and despite the receptionist radioing a number of time for someone to help us with our bags no one came as she kindly helped us up the stairs with our bags. A little later while sitting it the bar we overheard the manager screaming at the receptionist for leaving the reception desk to help us. There was no service in the bar after we were first served. All the bar staff seemed to vanish for over an hour at this time we gave up and went back up to our room.

There was a strange smell in the room and it was very warm with no air-conditioning and the widow did not open. It was so warm we could not sleep.

The only thing this hotel has going for it is that it is very close to the station. We will never stay here again and have to say that Travelodge is far better!

Room Tip: Any room as long as it's in another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank David R
Kent, UK
Reviewed September 24, 2011

This hotel has well kept rooms and quiet in the evenings, a bar on the side to allow you to have a few quite drinks. Spacious room and the shower is lovely and hot although I didn't like it having a shower curtain rather than a shower screen but minor point. Iron/ironing board in the room a bonus. I would consider this more a good hotel for business due to it's location or I would not be using it.

The staff are helpful and breakfast is good value. It is located across the road from the train station and I used this to hold a conference with a small team, this is the second time I have stayed here, not noticed train noise but I've always been towards the back of the hotel so this may be a point to note and convenient as a meeting point half way up the country.

The facilities are good for this purpose. You get internet at a price but not expensive, only thing was it expires every 3 hours so you have to punch the number in again to get connection when sometimes you are in the middle of presenting online. We had lunch, tea/coffee's etc supplied from the hotel, all ok and nothing to complain about on this front.

Only one other minor point, I had not checked out my room in the morning as I was running a conference, set up conf room and went back to my room to finish up and have quiet time for 15 mins before I started, but they were already cleaning the room before I had checked out, this is was surprised about albeit they were apologetic it was annoying when you are on a timetable.

Room Tip: Go for the back rooms to avoid train noise
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have stayed here many times over the past 3 months for business, the staff are always friendly and nothing is ever too much trouble for them. I have stayed in most of the rooms and found all to be a good size, although the rooms towards the front can get some noise from the railway at times, I did not find this stopped me sleeping.
The meals are tasty and reasonably priced with the menu being changed on a regular basis. I would be happy to stay here on a private or business trip and would recommend to others.

• Stayed September 2011
Bromley
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My wife and I stayed here on the weekend of Saturday 25th/Sunday 26th June as I was taking part in a bike ride the following day. The staff were excellent and the hotel room was brilliant. I was nervous about leaving my bike in the car overnight so asked if I could keep it in the room - no problem as it was clean (the bike). I asked for some plastic sheets to protect the carpet again no problem. Because of the early start I requested breakfast in my room at 5 am - again no problem, can you see the theme developing here? Nothing was a problem for the staff who were very friendly. The receptionist was very friendly and asked the following day how I did on the bike ride. We shall be returning - this weekend in fact. I can't relate to the negative experiences of other travellers, this hotel really is a gem and the staff put a lot of time and effort in. Don't be put off by negative reviews

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family