“Practical and clean”

and 1 more site!
Newark Hotel
Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Easy to find, clean, comfortable, room was a good size, Bar on site, excellent Breakfast.
Would have liked Evening Meals to be available later if poss (finished 8:15) but in fairness they have to stop serving at some point - so not a big deal really.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TimboD407

Reviewed April 4, 2014

The Newark Hotel offers good value for money. Very friendly and helpful staff. The evening meal menu offers a wide choice of snacks and full meals from soup to steak. The portion of scampi and chips I had was of generous proportions. You can eat in the dining room or in the bar. Breakfast is self service for veritable etc. but the cooked breakfasts are made to , order. My room was very clean and comfortable, but only a hand held shower over the bath. I would happily use this hotel again for my business trip.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 25, 2013 via mobile

A good average hotel, no worse and no better than many others perhaps. The beds are comfortable. I choose a rate with bed & breakfast and shared bathroom. That was no inconvenience at all. Room and bathroom (showeroom) were always spotless as was the bedroom. Breakfast was tasty although occasionally marmalade was in short supply. I stayed for a full week and never regretted my booking.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Halcro J
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed as a single traveller in a Standard Room, but it had a washbasin and towels and soap were provided. The room overlooked the road and with the windows open it was a bit noisy, even for a Saturday night. However, with the windows shut the traffic noise was so muffled that it didn't disturb me. The room was small but adequate and the bathrooms were just oposite. Everything was spotlessly clean too.
There is free WiFi, but my very aged laptop could not get Hotmail, when I did finally manage to connect to the Internet. The Receptionist was more than happy to allow me to use her Reception Computer to have a quick look at my emails. That's good old fashined service.
Breakfast was all that you could expect as a Full English, nicely cooked too. Plenty of cereals to start off.
And the decor? Right out of the 1970s and even some of the new bar furniture has been faithfully copied into the style. Much of the other furniture has been recovered and it was actually a nice change form the Coporate Jellymould that one finds everywhere these days.
Would I stay there again? Yes - it's a good budget hotel.

Room Tip: if you are a very light sleeper, ask for a room that does not overlook the road, or just keep the wi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Travelled as a pair from work and had 2 rooms booked. The outside of the hotel is very old looking and I did have doubts but the receptionist who dealt with us was very friendly and offered to book us a hotel to go to our conference the next day. She informed us we had a single room and one was a double so we took pot luck. I got the double and though not a great room it was adequate for my needs on first inspection. But there was lots of noise from people sat outside in the smoking area below my room and as people walked about you could hear everything. Chldren running up and down the corridor outside my room didn't help. Room and bathroom was basic but clean. I did start to worry about how I would sleep there for 2 nights and didn't really feel particularly secure (2 single females travelling). I took a shower but made sure door was secured from inside before I dared and then left bathroom door open so I could hear anyone coming in. Would not have dared leave laptop etc in room.

My colleague came to see me in my room after an hour and said her room was dreadful. It was extremely cold and she had been sat on the bed wrapped in the towels but was still cold! Her room was very noisy right above the main road and was tiny with no shower, only a damaged bath she would not have dared get into anyway. She had not even opened her case to unpack. We went down to reception who informed us they were fully booked and could not move her.

We went back to my room and went online and booked an alternative hotel in the city centre and checked out of the Newark Hotel. They were very polite about it and said they would refund the second nights stay. Obviously we lost the cost of the first night but we were so pleased to be out of there we didn;t care and even informed work we would cover that cost ourselves if necessary.

Would not contemplate staying there again and would not recommend it to anyone, despite the nice staff.

Room Tip: Go elswhere or ensure you book a double, no room to bend in the singles
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here for 4 months in room 20 small single ensuite very comfortable,serviced every day spot on. breakfast something for everybody i olso had 5 other collegues staying all very happy not like the waitress at breakfast bit grumpy and sharp but service very good. evening meals served looked very good and though we ate at work.
The bar well very nice after a hard day at work, bar staff great and friendly ginger will look after you specially at the weekend with x factor.
Secure parking beer garden tv lounge sky sports got it all even charlie and loosey

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 10, 2012

A room that was not en-suite had been booked for me at £34, a price I thought very competitive. I soon found out why so cheap. However, trying to upgrade to a room with facilities I could only be offered a twin room as £57! I thought this rather pricey for a toilet but eventually I had to pay £50 for the room. When I got to my room (at the end of a long corridor - and I have COPD!) I found a room which was far too small for anything other than a single. The room was dingy and depressing, indeed dark enough to require a light to read by. The small space between the beds was too small for anything other than a tiny chair, the only one in the room. The furniture, such as it was, could best be described as 'tired', and that's being kind. Whilst the bedding appeared clean, the top sheet had a hole in it. The bathroom was clean and the breakfast perhaps 'adequate'. No food was available - on a Saturday night! Where anyone gets the idea that this standard warrants a price tag of £57 is a guessing game. I often book for up to 20 people in this area. What a shame that the Management 'win' a fight for an extra £16 from me but subsequently lose the 'war' worth around £600 a night. FInally, should you still wish to book be prepared to face an onslaught by two very noisy and aggressive small dogs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business