“I shan't return”

and 1 more site!
Newark Hotel
Ranked #23 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed September 10, 2012

A room that was not en-suite had been booked for me at £34, a price I thought very competitive. I soon found out why so cheap. However, trying to upgrade to a room with facilities I could only be offered a twin room as £57! I thought this rather pricey for a toilet but eventually I had to pay £50 for the room. When I got to my room (at the end of a long corridor - and I have COPD!) I found a room which was far too small for anything other than a single. The room was dingy and depressing, indeed dark enough to require a light to read by. The small space between the beds was too small for anything other than a tiny chair, the only one in the room. The furniture, such as it was, could best be described as 'tired', and that's being kind. Whilst the bedding appeared clean, the top sheet had a hole in it. The bathroom was clean and the breakfast perhaps 'adequate'. No food was available - on a Saturday night! Where anyone gets the idea that this standard warrants a price tag of £57 is a guessing game. I often book for up to 20 people in this area. What a shame that the Management 'win' a fight for an extra £16 from me but subsequently lose the 'war' worth around £600 a night. FInally, should you still wish to book be prepared to face an onslaught by two very noisy and aggressive small dogs.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Newark Hotel

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my daughter

Never ever stay her !!!!! on checking in my hotel room had not been cleaned !!

I then went down to reception and told the receptionist that there was SICK in the sink , BLOOD in the bed , and all she replied was it would ne cleaned for when i returned!!

My daughter who is 8 though this was terrible.

Price for this room £68.00 was a rip off (premier Inn is less and your guaranteed clean rooms)

No Parking as car park was full !!!

The breakfast was served by a lady who looked 90, and was very very basic !!!

The hotel if thats what you call it is very dated and needs modernising.

The bathroom had a very small shower and even my daughter struggled for space.

MY ADVICE DONT GO EVER !!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont bother all rooms on check out looked tired and in need of modernising !!!!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Judith944
Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

Have stayed here 3 times and this will be my last. On this occastionthe room was freezing the whole time we were there. Room wason top floor walls paper thin and heard every word the people next door were saying. Wifi is rubbbish and let me on for about 5mins before crashing. Bed was comfortable enough but as I was freezing never got comfortable at all and didn't fancy the jaggy blanket to help heat me up. Breakfast was ok. Not much of a selection. Place is locked up at midnight so you are basically locked in after then.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have stayed many times at this hotel. It has average to good rooms but for the cost I find it's very reasonable. Management do try to look after you and the breakfast is very good being freshly cooked. I travelled by Motorbike this time & although the rear secure car park was satisfactory I asked if I could use one of the empty garages for parking, they duly obliged so very pleased bout that. The hotel has a bar which is good with satellite TV, it has a lounge room for relaxing with large TV & a boardroom for business meetings. The location is 15-20 mins walk into the town centre & the main bypass road out of town is only 5 mins away. I would recommend this hotel as a good budget hotel, friendly staff with clean & comfortable rooms. Definitely worth considering.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Guido G
Reviewed February 24, 2012

A nice clean functional hotel with a very nice breakfast, a clean room, very nice staff and a very nice stay was had. also a good price on late rooms internet booking service.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Medicworldwide
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I attended a fulls day conference/training day here yesterday and as previously stated this hotel is 'vintage' style and pure 1974 decor.

Not fabulously sign posted (I drove past it) but good size free car park at the rear and front and rear entrance for easy access. A quick ring of the bell in Reception and someone swiftly arrived directing me past the shabby chic incoming and outgoing phone booths (WOW!) and on to a lounge that led to a small conference room.

Decor is original vintage style, as it the furniture with various patches, repairs and botches to keep everything in working order - looks old, shabby and mismatched but everythng works.

Coffee, tea and water was replenished regularly and the room seated 9 perfectly plus 2 trainers and larger 42" LED screen on the wall, Wifi signal was poor and was lost for a while causing a small problem but everything else was fine.

Lunch was served in the bar next door and consisted of sandwiches and wedges - basic but yummy but no refreshments and no bar service disappointingly although we didn't ask......

Did not stay over so cannot comment on sleep quality but looks like to two residential houses with joining extension in the middle and all refurbed circa 1974!

All staff seemed helpful and friendly althoughn scarse but it was a cheap room which did it job - not the best impression so would not recommend for clients or new contacts but cheap and cheerful.

Any questions please ask..........

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank emskiv
Reviewed June 25, 2011

If you're looking for modern and stylish decor, you're in the wrong place! if you're looking for a warm welcome, clean room, secure parking, and a great breakfast, you're in the right place! We stumbled upon this hotel, after arriving late in Peterborough, and were a bit reluctant to go in, as the exterior is a bit dreary! So glad we did though, as we received a really warm welcome, and had a nice stay. The rooms are fuctional and clean, the service is good and personal, the breakfast was delicious an we will stay there again, if we ever go to Peterborough.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business