“Something different...and good!”
Review of Harnas Polish Restaurant - CLOSED

Harnas Polish Restaurant
Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are so sorry but for personal reason we have to close down.Thank you our customer for trust. It was nice to meet you all in our restaurant.Owners
Reviewed January 10, 2013

As a fairly adventerous eater, who loves trying something different, I have often remarked to my partner that we must try Harnas, as it would make a nice change from the countless (although in some cases good!) Indian and Italian Restaurants which seem to dominate Peterborough.
So, when an excellent deal came up on Groupon (Two courses for two and a glass of wine each for the bargain price of £18), we grabbed the opportunity.

My wife isn't quite as adventerous as myself and finds eating out difficult at times, due to being a diagnosed Coeliac, so she was nervous about trying somewhere new, but after, e-mailing Harnas beforehand and being reassured that they could cater to those on Gluten-Free diets, we went ahead and were glad that we did.

The service was friendly and welcoming, the decor light, modern and clean and the food was excellent. The one negative being that my wife couldn't indulge in a starter, as everything on the menu contained wheat, but they happily advised that she could have a dessert instead. I had a croquette with sauerkraut to start, which was very fresh and tasty, and accompanied by a delightfully warm and spicy cup of Borscht. Then followed this with meat filled dumplings (or Perogi) for main which were absolutely divine. My wife had chicken with cheese and mushrooms and she cleaned her plate, which is something of a rarity, at home or eating out.

Even the deserts seemed to be freshly cooked, my wifes baked banana looked and smelled amazing.

I would strongly reccomend this place to anyone looking for something a little different, it definetly deserves to be busier than it was when we visitied, with just one other couple in attendance.

I will definetly be returning, not least to try the hot and sour soup which comes in a bowl made of bread! The other couple had this as their starter and it looked amazing, but was sadly excluded in the Terms and Conditions of our Groupon!

5  Thank Congo_Red
There are newer reviews for Harnas Polish Restaurant

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Tasty food, reasonable prices, very large portions, friendly service and smart simple decor combine for a great meal. Style of food is interesting but not too demanding for the british pallet - plenty of simple choices as well as some stuff I hadn't seen before. Steak tatar was lovely and roast duck with apples was both delicious and enormous. Drink prices are very reasonable - about the same as local pubs.

1  Thank Henry W
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

What a wonderful surprise this turned out to be. Good clean quality food that delivers a beautiful taste with every mouthful. Perfect hosts, who arr helpful and informative. Great traditional lager beers. Go, taste and be surprised!

1  Thank Wattisfield S
Reviewed December 24, 2012

It’s good that this restaurant has such good reviews, but sadly my experience is completely different.

My partner – Polish – and myself visited for her birthday. I am used to both Polish and Czech food and restaurants having lived in the Czech Republic, but near the Polish border, for 10 years and visited many restaurants on both sides of the border as well as in the Polish cities and towns of Krakow, Glogow, Opole, Cieszyn, Wroclaw to name just a few. Never have I been so disappointed in a restaurant nor made to feel so unwelcome as I was at Harnas.

We paid up front as the night we visited there was what they call a “Dancing” evening – ideal for a celebration we thought. However, this turns out to mean that the food is sub-standard, the service non-existent, the noise unbearable and the cost over the top. This place purports to be a restaurant, but it is one where they couldn’t or wouldn’t bring drinks to the table – it was necessary to negotiate a full dance floor to collect them yourself. Because they had no system for making a tab it was necessary to pay for them each time. We didn’t know this ahead of time, of course, so only had cards with which to pay. Indeed they didn’t even publish the menu for the evening in advance so we had to take them on trust. What could go wrong? They have lots of brilliant reviews, right? Hmmm.

The food was slow in coming. The portions were small. Can you believe we were told off for requesting a table for two because it was “too small for all the food on its way”. This doesn’t seem to be a problem for the wonderful Salamis restaurant almost opposite. As for being authentic Polish. Well, er no. Even the draught beer, Kozel, was Czech and served without a head, almost impossible to do in my experience.

We left after about 40 minutes having endured all we could (especially the DJ or washing machine repair man as he described himself – no idea how to put a set together, but he could play it exceptionally loud) and were followed into the street to find out what the problem was. Having explained that they had been responsible for ruining my partner’s birthday, we were relieved to be told we would be given a refund. After many, many phone calls, the sending of requested receipts and card numbers, 24 days later we are still waiting. Two of our emails remain unanswered. It is clear they have no intention of refunding. During this time we have been given false information, abused and subjected to more examples of staff confusion, disorganisation and an inability to deliver anything remotely recognisable as good service. One of them even suggested to my partner that maybe we didn’t enjoy the evening because I was “too old”. Well, I am over 50, but have been going to “party” restaurants all over the place for many, many, years, and will continue to do so – just not to this one. And as for comparisons with other Polish restaurants, this place isn’t a patch on the sadly defunct Janosik in Boston or the atmospheric Karczma in Birmingham – check out Jay Rayner’s excellent professional review of the latter in the Guardian.

After we left we went to Salamis, where we hadn’t booked. We received a very warm welcome and enjoyed great food in a great atmosphere. They were, as you would expect, totally professional and committed to their customers having a good time – in total contrast to Harnas.

Go to Harnas you must, but if you go for a special occasion expect to be disappointed. Definitely if you’re the wrong side of 50 they don’t want you there and if something is not to your liking, they will do nothing to rectify it. No doubt they would say there were exceptional circumstances which made this evening so bad. But it is still the case that I have had poor food in some restaurants, poor service occasionally, but I have never been treated so badly in any restaurant anywhere, in this country or abroad as I was here. I really wanted to like this place. It was impossible.

5  Thank kaebee
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Wow, what a find. This restaurant is brilliant. The food is cooked to order so you can relax and whet your appetite with one or more of the powerful Polish beers on offer. When the food arrives, you'll find the taste exquisite, the portions generous and the price excellent value for money.
Three of us had three courses, four beers, four cocktails a bottle of good wine and the bill came to just over £80.
The service was charming too.
I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

1  Thank jimlindsay107