“Unusual but tasty afternoon tea”
Review of John Clare Cottage

John Clare Cottage
Ranked #13 of 74 things to do in Peterborough
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My husband and I took his parents here for afternoon tea, an offer we had bought on Groupon. The cafe area is not very big but pleasant, with easily accessible toilets (important point for my in laws with mobility problems). We had spicy parsnip soup with a warm roll, followed by a pot of tea with a scone, jam and cream. It was all fresh and we enjoyed it, altho we thought it was a bit unusual to have soup as part of an afternoon tea. We didn't visit the cottage or garden - it shuts at 4pm so we didn't have time after our tea, but we'll probably go back for a look round. We hadn't realised this place existed until seeing it on Groupon, despite living in the region for over 20 years! There are a few crafty bits and bobs and some books on John Clare for sale but there may have been more in the cottage that we didnt see.

1  Thank ThurlbyReviewer

Reviewed November 5, 2012

each to their own i suppose but this was not for me and my family, ridiculous cost for such a place. Not much there and was very dissappointed after reading all the hype about the cottage. Tea rooms were a nice touch but that was all really. Parking was terrible.

5  Thank mandy v
Reviewed September 17, 2012

great place- loads of history and a fab place to take a school trip and explore creative writing and more,

3  Thank laura h
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This cottage captures the essence of John Clare, his life and his contribution to our literary heritage. The cottage also gives an insight into ordinary people's lives in the 19th century. My only criticism is that upstairs is far too clean and tidy!

2  Thank SussexGrove
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We loved our visit to John Clare's thatched cottage, where we were given headphones and could wander around the cottage in our own time listening to the informative commentary. There was also a headset with a village commentary which enabled us to walk around the village and learn more about it as we went. I found the whole experience both moving and enlightening. What a fascinating and troubled man the poet was.

There is a very welcoming cafe at the cottage which is staffed by volunteers who are happy to answer any questions you might have. I wholeheartedly recommend this attraction.

2  Thank LeicsHelen