“Decent B&B”
Review of Queensgate Hotel

Queensgate Hotel
Ranked #16 of 27 Hotels in Peterborough
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We were looking for somewhere to stay whilst visiting Peterborough for a football match. This hotel is right next to the ground, with a local pub just over the road. We arrived too early for check in but were allowed to leave the car in the carpark at the rear. The staff were very friendly and helpful, printing off for us a list of nearby bars and restaurants - its only actually a 10 min or so walk into town with bars along the way.
We had two Superior rooms with breakfast included in the very reasonable price of £52 per room. The rooms are recently refurbished and we couldnt fault them.
The carpets in the corridors could do with a clean but that was my only gripe.
Breakfast next morning was cooked to order - only thing is the milk and juices need to be chilled!
Would stay here again

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 7, 2013

The carpets in the corridors could do with a clean but that was my only gripe.
Would stay here again

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I've been staying at the Queensgate fairly regularly for the past 3 years, booked through the company I work for so I don't pay, but the rates appear reasonable for this hotel and a lot cheaper than the larger chain hotels in the town.

Hotel is relatively small so doesn't offer the same facilities as somewhere like the Holiday Inn, which I also use regularly. However, the rooms are clean and a good size and the staff always friendly. The showers are possibly the best I've had in a hotel, plenty of power and good temperature control, as I think I've stayed in almost every room I have found some of the shower cubicles to be a bit small, also often some of the bulbs around the mirror over the sink don't work resulting in a dull light to shave with (a minor gripe).

Free wifi, though a bit patchy in some of the rooms. Parking is limited, especially when people park inconsiderately, if you're late arriving and its full then your left with finding a space on the street.

Air con would be a benefit in summer, someone mentioned the window wouldn't open, I've not encountered that problem, but some rooms do get very hot.

Breakfast - hot food made to order, cold selection is limited but ok. One thing, I wish they had the milk for cereal in a chiller, rather than in a jug which can be warm if you're there after its been out a while. Juices are ok, they're not whole fruit juices and need labels to tell you what they are!

Dinner - good menu and food is always flavoursome and a bit different, good choice of salads and pizza menu which is separate to the main menu. Really good garlic bread and pasta dishes! Desserts are ok, I love cheesecake but find the one's served here are far to rich, which is good for my waisteline as I now avoid them lol. Cheeseboard is good.

Please please please bring back the pork and black pudding stack with mustard mash! my all time fav here.

Dinner prices are lower than those in other hotels so can't complain (much better value than th Holiday Inn).

All in all a good value, friendly hotel, close to town centre with very good food and service.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a bath (with shower over), rather than just a shower, slightly larger room and s...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Arrived very late after attending stock car World final in kings lynn, this was just a stop over, greeted by Night Man shown to room was small, warm and had a shower and bed which was perfect for us, slept ok altho couldnt open window Or turn heating down...tooooo hot!!!! In morning found breakfast wasnt included :-( so walked into peterborough nice little town....also took us awhile to work out where kettle was hidden in wardrobe???? .. parking was ok all in all did the job!!!!

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Was staying here via work for 4 days. Firstly was put into a room at the front of the hotel which was right on to the main road. The noise from the traffic wasn't over loud but for me it was constant, also its at a set of traffic lights so I could only image what morning noise would be like. The room had no double glazing so requested to move. Was told maybe problem as hotel was full. I was lucky (maybe) as I gave up my nice warm well sized room with bath and shower for a cold slightly smaller room with shower only. The bathroom was warmer than the room. You could feel the difference of temperature through the corridors which is like rabbit warren. Even by day 4 I still couldn't find my way round without referring to the directions!! The rad in the room I turned up to full but it constantly called for hot warm but never reached the desired temp, just luke warm. Needed blanket on bed . Bed very comfortable once you removed the remains of other people's pubes/hair from the sheets. There were areas of the room that needed dusting, such as headboard, shelves, lampshades and window sills. The shaver socket made a continuos humm which only stopped when you removed the room key card out of the slot by door. Possible poor electrics? Breakfast good tasted nice one day it was cold though. Staff please smile and welcome your guests.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

The hotel is in a good location but was expensive for what it was. The food prices were so over priced and were not at a very good standard. I am a chef and couldn't believe the quality of food for the price, some food frozen which the staff denied ! The room was clean and the staff were welcoming, but a total rip off for the price !! .. Breakfast was poor and if it wasn't included with your room it costs £9.50 which I would have never have paid for that quality !! The cups of tea were like water and my cup was glued to the saucer with old milk. Obviously not cleaned properly! Very noisy at 3 am from what I presume to be other guests or people outside banging ! The house wine which you get a voucher to pay £9 for was rancid with bits in ! Not pleasant ! ..! I would say I am disappointed with the quality over all , highlight was the pretty squids in a tank at reception ! I wouldn't recommend !!

• Stayed: September 2013
Martin R, General Manager at Queensgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Baxtermax
To say I found your review unusual reading (not just because your use of the exclamation mark) would be an understatement. My team has tried to identify your stay and simply cannot. However as you have raised some points I will answer them. Firstly in terms of value, we are on average 30% cheaper than similar standard hotels in Peterborough. I am surprised as a chef you profess to be such and expert in frozen food, however can assure you our food is fresh and on the whole from local suppliers. Our wine is from an award winning wine supplier, whose wine list and details are available to download from our website, of course good wines are an acquired taste. Your claim at £9.50 that the breakfast is poor value is quite surprising - most of our peers charge around £12 - £17 for a buffet breakfast, where as we provide unlimited fresh pastries, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit salad, a selection of teas, coffee, toast, preserves then your choice of freshly prepared cooked items including free range eggs and butchers made Lincolnshire sausages, all from as low as £5.50 if you booked a room that included breakfast. As a chef perhaps you can let me know where you work, as the food must be extraordinarily cheap, to consider this poor value. I am glad you liked our fish tank.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

A budget hotel. You get what you pay for ! I found the room/bathroom really small and claustrophobic Im afraid. Attention needs to be paid to the badly stained carpets everywhere. Apart from that it was fine. Nothing special though. Breakfast was fine although the juices were not chilled. Minor points but overall fine .

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple