“My children did not want to leave and are begging...”

Review of The Lodge

master bedroom superking bed
open plan lounge diner single with hidden guest bed to make up as a twin or double bedroom
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
open plan lounge diner
single with hidden guest bed to make up as a twin or double bedroom
modern fully equipped kitchen
fully enclosed sunny patio
floorplan
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

5 of 5 bubbles Excellent - based on 22 reviews

Reviews from our community

RadFern
London, Canada
“My children did not want to leave and are begging to go back...ASAP!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 for a stay in July 2013

We recently traveled to the UK from Canada with two younger children, our first transatlantic trip as a family. I had a very good feeling about staying at Fen Acre from the get-go and we were not to be disappointed.

1) My questions about the property and booking arrangements were always answered promptly and courteously. I had quite a few questions, as my husband is 6 feet 8 inches tall and I wanted to ensure that the property would accommodate us adequately (which it did).

2) The property was spotlessly clean, tastefully decorated and modern. Beds were comfortable. Kitchen was well equipped and included a toaster (other self-catering properties we stayed at did not, which meant for lots of burnt toast and cursing). The owner had thoughtfully supplied a number of grocery items (fresh eggs from Fen Acre hen house, milk, margarine, some tasty Lincolnshire Plum bread, etc). Lots of tea too.
3) Washer and dryer were very handy for an extended stay with children. Plus there was a line for air drying.
4) When we travel as a family I generally avoid cramped, overpriced hotels, where there is little to entertain. Fen Acre is a nirvana for children. At the rear of the house and rentals is a very large, private garden containing a swing set, zip line (which my 11 year old describes as nothing less than awesome) and an enclosed trampoline. From the garden, the children can also watch the hens. For rainy days, there are lots of games and movies, plus a Wii.
5) We also appreciated the private patio and furnishings--nice for enjoying a morning coffee or an evening meal.

6) The owners were very welcoming and helpful.

7) Easy access to Peterborough and some fabulous local attractions such as Burghley House in stamford. We also used Fen Acre as a base to travel into London by train--service from Peterborough to London King's Cross is very good

8) My children did not want to leave Fen-Acre and other accommodations we stayed at on our vacation just could not measure up. We have lots of fond memories from Fen-Acre and I would return in a heartbeat.

Liked best: Facilities for children. Modern and clean. Fabulous hosts
Traveling group: Young Children
Older travelers Families with young children
Aug 27, 2013
What a lovely review! Thank you so much. We loved having your family here and seeing them enjoying themselves in the garden. Hopefully, if you are ever back this way you will be able to make a return visit.
Bostonwoo...
Chester, United Kingdom
“What a lovely place to stay - so friendly - really made you feel at home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

We had a wonderful stay with Julie and Bub. They made us feel welcome from the moment we arrived. The use of their extensive garden is great and my daugther fell in love with their dog, Sam. The Lodge has everything you could ask for - including a condiments draw with oil, herbs, oxo etc. Good location for getting to places but avoid A47 - was a nightmare when we went. We visited Peterborough - great shopping and Cathedral, Cambridge (went down the B roads) - great fun and Sandringham - what a wonderful estate. We certainly hope to stay again with Julie and highly recommend it.

4 of 5 bubbles How easy was it to book the property? 5 of 5 bubbles How helpful were the directions to the property?
5 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Our own little patio in full sunlight in the afternoon.
Liked least: Can't think of anything
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
People with pets
Aug 24, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. Sam missed your daughter when you went, he kept going to the gate to look for her.
Busyhavin...
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Truly Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013 for a stay in August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the two bed cottage over the weekend of 17 August. We were truly impressed by the cottage and all it had to offer - everything you could possibly want and all in mint condition. The cottage itself was scrupulously clean and when we arrived there was a welcome pack of fresh laid eggs, butter, milk, juice and a scrummy (naughty but nice) cake and also tea, coffee, sugar, condiments etc etc. WOW! - we couldn't have wished for more.
Julie the owner was on hand to show me around on arrival and available throughout our stay should the need arise (but it didn't).
This was a truly excellent cottage and would suit a family or couple. Indeed, what with the TV, games, books, magazines WI games console, kids stuff in the garden, lovely little patio area there was lots to do if you just wanted to stay in.
Many many thanks. We hope to go back next year when my husband will need to be that way again.

Liked best: Everything.
Liked least: Nothing
People with disabilities Older travelers
Aug 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. Hopefully we will see you again next year. By the way.would you like to be head of Fen-Acre's Marketing Department? You have sold it to me and I'm the owner! :)
Peterborough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 for a stay in September 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Value 5 of 5 bubbles Rooms
4 of 5 bubbles Location 5 of 5 bubbles Cleanliness
5 of 5 bubbles Check in / front desk 5 of 5 bubbles Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Mary J
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Absolutely wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013 for a stay in January 2013

We stayed at The Lodge at Fen-Acre for a weekend in January during our trip to the UK. It was simply fabulous! Spotlessly clean, comfortably furnished and with amenities that made it feel just like home. We have stayed in other hotels in the Peterborough area and were always disappointed by their value for money. This time, with our 18 month-old, we chose Fen-Acre, and I'm so glad we did. Incredibly family friendly with loads of baby supplies for use if needed. Washer and dryer to help with our loads of dirty laundry. Breakfast supplies/tea and coffee on hand to make your arrival much less stressful. And Julie was on site to help with anything we needed! The only downside I can think of is needing a car. It's definitely a 15 - 20 minute drive into Peterborough, but if you're renting a car already, I can't imagine going anywhere else! We will be back.

5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: Fabulous amenities, family friendliness, comfort of being at home
Liked least: Nothing!
Traveling group: Young Children
People with disabilities Older travelers
Feb 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your glowing review. We know how stressful it can be traveling long distances with very young children so are pleased that were able to make it less so for you and your family.
France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012 for a stay in November 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Value 5 of 5 bubbles Rooms
5 of 5 bubbles Location 5 of 5 bubbles Cleanliness
5 of 5 bubbles Check in / front desk 5 of 5 bubbles Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Older travelers Luxury-minded travelers
XantheSG
East Riding of Yorkshire
“Better equipped than our own home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012 for a stay in September 2012

Had a lovely 4 night stay in The Lodge at Fen Acre. We were on a nostalgia trip as I spent my first 3 years in Crowland. Julie was so welcoming and friendly, everything for our comfort had been thought of from the welcome pack of breakfast food - bacon, eggs, cereal, etc. to items such as tape measure, food wrap plus much more. Loved the pictures and words framed on the wall giving a history of the Lodge. We had lovely weather so sat out in the secluded patio area. Would recommend this place to all ages.

Liked best: Everything
Liked least: We could only spend 4 nights away.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Sep 6, 2012
Thank you Sally for your lovely review. I'm glad you liked the history montage. I know that when we go away we are always saying things like 'I wonder if that used to be.......etc so I thought maybe there would be other nosey people like me around. :))
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Make Inquiry
Never pay for your vacation rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing